Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drug tests for welfare recipients

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Would the same apply with alcohol?
    I don't really think its anyone's business what someone spends their money on, be it alcohol, drugs, prostitutes etc

people with drug and/or drink issues are less likely to actively seek employment and therefore more likely to be long term dole scroungers

i'm not paying for these types of people if i can help it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I'd be interested to know if they were being tested for illegal drug use or were they being tested for being impaired on the job? Also, I can't help but think that without the union defending workers rights any worker failing a test (impaired?) would have been fired summarily.

It's none of an employers damn business what a person does in their own time as long as it isn't having a detrimental effect on their performance.

As regards our civil liberties we cede any ground to corporations and governments at our peril.

Back when my dad worked at the mill in the 70s they were only tested if they appeared to be impaired. But my dad knew what a lot of those guys were up to because they would all be in bars or at house parties and he knew they were snorting up and then heading off to their shift high as a kite. These days, if they give you a job offer, you have to pass a drug test - they screen for any illegal drugs and you don't get any second chances.

I think this makes sense in the US because it is so litigious - if someone is high and injures someone else at work, the employer is going to get sued. SO they try to head that off at the pass.

Advertisement