Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-cigarette for €7.99 - bargain or scam?

Options
  • 01-07-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I was just down in my local newsagent buying tobacco (can't afford regular cigarettes these days!) and noticed a sign stuck up behind the counter advertising an electronic cigarette for sale for €7.99.

This seems unbelievably cheap, and I don't know if it includes juice or any accessories, but I'd be tempted to try it. I didn't ask about it at the time as there was a queue behind me but I might pop down again.
    I'm guessing that for that price there must be a catch, or it's just really low quality.

Sorry, can't remember seeing any brand name or other details, but has anyone seen or tried such a cheap e-cigarette? Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

probably Jasper, throw away units (disposable), use till empty , bin it. i consider them for emergency only.
    Limited flavours only, maybe ok for a tryout

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

E-cirette Ireland are distributing disposables through londis stores. They're also selling dekang liquids (tobacco flavour 10ml 6mg through to higher levels). Could it have been related to that?

http://ecirettesolutions.com/stores.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

itll say "with X amount of cigarettes worth of nicotine" on the packet, but that's bollox

youll probably get anywhere from 100-200 drags out of it, maybe more before either tha battery runs out of charge or the cartomiser dries up

never used them so cant speak to what they're like to vape, doubt they're amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

Disposables are good for getting the concept of vaping, or as an emergency. Not for long term use IMO. Having said that, I know somebody who only smokes / vapes when having a pint at the weekend, and this is when they use their disposable, but even at that I would still think they would be better off with a rechargeable type setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Thanks for the replies - didn't know you could get disposable ones, I assume that's what it was. I've been considering trying e-cigarettes but tight on cash at the moment, might give one of these a try just to see if it's worth investing in a decent set-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

The OH got a couple of them (jasper 7.99) ones, he thought they seemed great with the equivalent of 40 cigs claim - he smokes about 10 or so b&h a day (used to be 20+), and liked the concept/taste and they sorted his cravings-one only lasted a day and a bit for him before getting nothing out of them though. I took a couple of drags out of curiosity,I felt they were strong :) we thought at first they were refillable as the advertise cartridges inside, but like previous poster said they must be just to introduce people to them.

thjey might be refillable, but I think (ast least with some of the disposables) they make it hard to get in at the filler to drop juice in

a lot of them make rechargable models of their kits as well but they can only be used with their proprietary cartridges.. and they cost an arm and a lag.. compared to a normal ecig kit at least

I'm quite curious to try them now – though if they last only a day and a bit as iCosmopolis mentioned then it's not amazing value, but still cheaper than a regular pack of smokes I suppose.

Think I'll go down tomorrow and ask about them. The shop is an independent newsagent and isn't listed on that E-cirette website mentioned by unblvlblkult (that's a hard username to type out!), so I guess they're probably the Jasper ones or some other kind.

If they're refillable that'd be great but if not I'll probably give one a go anyway and see what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

They might last someone else longer TBH, he's only reduced smoking due to now not working again so can't afford and no smoking in the house for the baby, I (stupidly) started back after the pregnancy (balcony, never in the house,have smoking jacket and all the precautions) but always smoked silkcut ultra, and went back to about 5 or 6 of them a day like before. 2/3 puffs of it put me off regular smokes for pretty much full day/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

Tope wrote: »
    The shop is an independent newsagent and isn't listed on that E-cirette website

Yeah just thinking after that the londis ones are 20€ or so but some with 5 cartridges or something. They're similar but you can replace the tip.

• Advertisement

I'm a pretty heavy smoker myself so I'd probably get through them fairly quickly too! Have to say I'll definitely be trying out vaping now - I've just been reading through the rest of this forum and sounds like this is the ideal solution for me. I'll try one of the disposable types first and invest in a proper kit soon.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll probably be back here looking for advice on the best vaping options!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Trust me man, the 7.99 you spend on that disposable will be wasted, you'll hate e-cigs because of them.

If you want to quit save up the few bob(easier said than done, I know) and buy a proper starter kit, and when you spend that kind of money, you'll make the switch straight away, instead of just giving it a try.

Any of the eGo style kits will keep you going for a good while!

i kind of agree there. what county you live in?

could pop along to the vapefest in abbeyelix in september *points at image in signature above*, im sure there'll be diferent things to try there to see if you like vaping

aye, way to go!
    anyways if your in cork, you can pop by my place and have a go of one of my devices,
    that way you get a better idea of it, just to let you know, the offer is there

So sounds like the cheapo disposable is definitely not recommended then!
    Don't want to get off to a bad start. The eGo kit looks handy, thanks eeloe (oh, it's 'woman' not 'man' by the way! :)).
    Seen some other nice looking kits among the discussions here too, I'll do some more research and hold off till I can get the cash together for a decent device – just really keen to get started now!

And thanks for the kind offer Stefan Cork, but I'm in Dublin!

And yeah, the Vapefest looks tempting Sir Digby, was reading about that in another thread, will definitely consider popping down to it. Hopefully will have got the hang of it by then and can have fun trying out all the new stuff.

Advertisement