Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicago in Grand Canal

• 01-07-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else going to see this? I am in August, I can't wait. I just saw the cast list and I'm very happy with it especially Bernie Nolan. I wouldn't have thought of her as Mama Morton but I've heard she is incredible and I heard some audio and she sounds very impressive!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I saw Chicago on broadway and I was VERY disappointed (mediocre acting, minimalistic costumes, non-existent set). It would take some convincing to get me to pay to see it again. Has anyone seen it and loved it? Did I just get it on an off day/place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Chicago is painful IMO. It's a vehicle for has beens, who go through the motions. Definitely not on my must ever see again list!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Well, I've never seen it before and I am quite excited about it. I havent seen that many musicals either. I know that there is no set or costume changes.

That's different then. Musicals are my hobby, being in them and seeing them. Have seen at least 25 shows in the past year, a combination of professional and amateur...and have been doing so for many years. Makes me a little more picky about what I like ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

So long as you know what to expect then hopefully you won't be disappointed :) It's just one in particular that has stood out for me as a bad experience. I'm generally not very fussy when it comes to musicals, but I think after seeing the film I was expecting something with a lot more 'razzle dazzle' and it just didn't deliver at all. I think there's so much more than could have been done with it, I don't understand why they went in the direction they did at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

I think Chicago is a lot of fun, saw it for the first time in ages again when I managed to get a cheapie last minute seat for it in the Garrick. It's really downsized compared to when it was in the Adelphi or Cambridge but it was still very enjoyable.

Problem is that they went mad for a while casting celebrities in this who were well....crap - Christie Brinkley and America Ferrera for example.

Haven't seen the touring production yet but might get a cheapie upper circle seat when it comes to the Grand Canal Theatre (and hope for an upgrade!). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I love Chicago. I've done huge chunks of it in various shows over the years so have always had a soft spot for it. The pared-back production is part of its appeal for me, tbh - a musical shouldn't need twenty million set and costume changes to work.

I agree with [EMAIL="D@rk"]D@rk[/EMAIL] L0rd, part of the trouble with recent productions has been the fact that they've been casting people who haven't a clue what they're doing. This has been a problem with musicals in general for a while, but with Chicago there's no smoke & mirrors for them to hide behind because it's such a spartan show.

So is anyone else going? Tonight is opening night I believe. I'm going on Saturday.

Well I saw it and thought it was absolutely tremendous. If you didn't go you really missed out! The cast were all superb and really exceeded my expectations. In particular, Duncan James. He was absolutely outstanding!

In particular, Duncan James. He was absolutely outstanding!

Saw him in Legally Blonde, he was very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Dar93ragh

Saw Chicago in Kinsale College Last month . Brilliant Show ! Would Recommend it if it comes to Cork. :)

Advertisement