Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Waterford

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anybody know what tower hotels gym is like? I wud like to have a gym with a sauna and jacuzzi and I believe they have one.

Nice size Sauna. jacuzzi small enough and a nice steam room. Pool is decent size but the gym is very small. For the price it costs i couldn't recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Where is spirit? Is that the one in town there not far from the quay?

It's part of Treaceys hotel, on O Connell Street.

Lads anybody any idea if you are in a contract for the year if you are paying by direct debit. I payed 120 up front and paying a monthly figure for the rest of the year. The only thing is i am swamped with college work and i am struggling to make it once a week to the gym. Can i ring up and cancel the direct debit or am i tied down for the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Lads anybody any idea if you are in a contract for the year if you are paying by direct debit. I payed 120 up front and paying a monthly figure for the rest of the year. The only thing is i am swamped with college work and i am struggling to make it once a week to the gym. Can i ring up and cancel the direct debit or am i tied down for the year?

If you have internet banking you should be able to cancel it yourself i know i can cancel direct debits with permanent tsb

If you have internet banking you should be able to cancel it yourself i know i can cancel direct debits with permanent tsb

Would it be better off to ring the gym and explain the situation before cancelling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Lads does anyone know whats Spirit Gym like? Also any idea how much it would be for students?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

deadybai wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know whats Spirit Gym like? Also any idea how much it would be for students?

Found it too small and not well enough equipped when i went there.
    Wouldnt go past goldstone at the moment

burkey85 wrote: »
    Found it too small and not well enough equipped when i went there.
    Wouldnt go past goldstone at the moment

Ok thanks for that. What about the one out in Cleaboy? Peak fitness iI think. Is that any good. I found Goldstone way to packed when I was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Ok thanks for that. What about the one out in Cleaboy? Peak fitness iI think. Is that any good. I found Goldstone way to packed when I was in it.

Peak fitness is not bad and fairly cheap as far as i know, but still nowhere near as equipped as goldstone.
    With Goldstone, it all depends on the times ya get there for the crowds.
    Also, try checking out Ballygunner gym, supposed to be fairly cheap and looks good from photos ive seen

burkey85 wrote: »
    Peak fitness is not bad and fairly cheap as far as i know, but still nowhere near as equipped as goldstone.
    With Goldstone, it all depends on the times ya get there for the crowds.
    Also, try checking out Ballygunner gym, supposed to be fairly cheap and looks good from photos ive seen

Thanks. Im trying to get one fairly close to WIT so i an go during my college days. The WIT gym is fairly crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Thanks. Im trying to get one fairly close to WIT so i an go during my college days. The WIT gym is fairly crap.
    if your looking for a gym close to wit try the crystal gym its owned by pat rockett and has literally same equipment as goldstone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

if your looking for a gym close to wit try the crystal gym its owned by pat rockett and has literally same equipment as goldstone

Crystal isn't comparable to goldstone in fairness though. It's a lot better value in goldstone the equipment is a lot more modern aswell as having multiple squat racks and benches not to mention it being great value for money.

Crystal is out dated bur it's good for a stop gap if you're stuck as it's open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Jimmy Paynes Gym out at the Cleayboy Business park is fairly good and reasonable too, I think about €130 or €150 for the year, no pool, but good otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Are there any good gyms in east Waterford near the hospital?

Am starting work in September and I usually like to go
    in the morning before work when it's quiet.

Also would appreciate if anyone can give advice about where to get boxing lessons for a complete novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Are there any good gyms in east Waterford near the hospital?

Am starting work in September and I usually like to go
    in the morning before work when it's quiet.

Also would appreciate if anyone can give advice about where to get boxing lessons for a complete novice.

try these places:

http://www.waterfordsportspartnership.ie/csv.cgi?sport=7

http://www.woodlandshotel.ie/hotel-health-club-waterford

probably some other options out there.

welcome to waterford

Can someone give me insight in to Goldstone? Thinking of joining in the new year but afraid that it will be too busy throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

Has anyone any information on gyms in Ferrybank, if there are any at all. For the last couple of years I've been using kingfisher but it's getting so busy now it's a joke. I only use the gym, and I consider goldstone and crystal too far out.

While holding out for a cheap Ben Dunne or flyfit in the Ferrybank shopping centre (!) I was just wondering are there any around that I'm not aware of. Can the public use the Abbey college gym? Is it open outside school hours? Nothing online about it. Just asking because I know good counsel gym in new Ross is open to the public outside school hours for 200pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

bilibob wrote: »
    Has anyone any information on gyms in Ferrybank, if there are any at all. For the last couple of years I've been using kingfisher but it's getting so busy now it's a joke. I only use the gym, and I consider goldstone and crystal too far out.

While holding out for a cheap Ben Dunne or flyfit in the Ferrybank shopping centre (!) I was just wondering are there any around that I'm not aware of. Can the public use the Abbey college gym? Is it open outside school hours? Nothing online about it. Just asking because I know good counsel gym in new Ross is open to the public outside school hours for 200pa.

No gyms in Ferrybank itself - which is a pity and possibly a gap in the market. Live in Ferrybank myself and would love to see a gym open up there but currently use the nearest gym which Spirit Leisure Centre in Tracey's hotel just over the bridge. You can get a gym only membership for €300 per year which isn't too bad - the only downside is the horrible car park in the Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Anybody have any insight into the Tower?

I've heard it's fairly small and nondescript but the rates they're doing are quite good. I don't really mind a small gym once it's not overcrowded, surely with the saturation of gyms in Waterford these days the Tower would be fairly quiet?

I'd be more interested in the weightlifting section but if the cardio equipment was decent I'd probably avail of that too. Are the showering facilities any good? A nice pool is always an extra, which I assume it is, would probably only use it sparingly though.

Parachutes wrote: »
    Anybody have any insight into the Tower?

I've heard it's fairly small and nondescript but the rates they're doing are quite good. I don't really mind a small gym once it's not overcrowded, surely with the saturation of gyms in Waterford these days the Tower would be fairly quiet?

I'd be more interested in the weightlifting section but if the cardio equipment was decent I'd probably avail of that too. Are the showering facilities any good? A nice pool is always an extra, which I assume it is, would probably only use it sparingly though.

Never in the Tower myself but what are the rates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

Can someone give me insight in to Goldstone? Thinking of joining in the new year but afraid that it will be too busy throughout the year.

I've been in Goldstone for a couple of years now and really like it. Just rejoined and it was €265 for 13 months. The membership includes all the classes on the schedule and you can go to as many as you like, or you can skip the classes entirely and just use the carido/weights areas.

They have just started a big expansion too and according to the plans posted up in the gym, there is an extra studio going in (looks huge) and the weights are is being increased too, so good stuff all round in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Anyone know anything about new gym in tycor ?

SUNGOD wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about new gym in tycor ?
    yes dave twomey owns it, he would be formerly of goldstone gym and fitness, an instructor who very much practices what he preaches, he is big into powerlifting and has broken world records for his age category unreal strength, trained with him few times and defo recommend him if your looking for one on one training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

What pay as you go gyms are there in Wateford now?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ec18 wrote: »
    What pay as you go gyms are there in Wateford now?

crystal and kingfisher are. probably others out there

gp fitness in tramore is PAYG

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

What is the difference in the Gyms? Can they be grouped by offerings/costs?

Are you looking at Cross Fit and Waterford Warriers in one group. The Tower and the Woodlands in another etc etc.

If you are looking for general fitness (weights and cardio) are you better to go to one of the above, work with a personal trainer?

What is everyone's experience?

Advertisement