Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed time for 2.5 year old boy

Options
  • 01-07-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone out there with a child around 2.5 - 3? If so what time do you put them to bed.

Having major difficulty getting our boy to sleep. Read him 5 books, a few songs and he still doesn't want to go asleep. He is getting out of his bed and just seems very stressed by it all.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Our lad goes to bed at 7.30 regardless, and has done since he was 2! Initially there was a problem with him getting up, but the key is to just keep placing him back. Do NOT get involved in conversation!! Put him into bed, tell him goodnight and leave. If he gets up, just tell him "bedtime" and put him back in. Each time after that, if/when he gets up, don't say anything!, just take him by the hand and put him back in and keep doing it til he gets the message. Be persistant and consistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Our lad is 2,5 and he goes to bed around 8.30.. he gets a few short book read and then it's time for 'night night' i give him a kiss and tell him i'll be back in to check him in a few minutes.. i do go back but not until he's very settled.

He loves his bed though.. and we've been so lucky with him he's a good sleeper, but the nights he's been unsettled i've just gone back in the room with no eye contact no talking and just lift him up and lay him down again.. sometimes he wouldn't let you get the covers up over him for shouting up up... but i just walk away..back again in a few mins and same again..

he eventually settled and over a few nights it became less and less of a problem, it usually happened when he was sick teething or generally out of sorts.. a pre-bedtime routine is a good idea too, jammies teeth washed cuddles say night night and turn the light on and off and then bed. . . :rolleyes: 22 stories of danny the digger and goodnight :D
    There's one parent they are less likely to act up with.. this is the person to get the bedtime routine going.. and in our house it's not me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

2yr 4 month old here and she goes at 7pm... she's still in a cot though and loves her sleep so she's out within five minutes of being put to bed and sleeps through for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Our boy too is in a cot bed. . no way the sides are coming off anytime soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Has he just moved from a cot to a bed? If so, it'll take time for him to get used to it.

We've a 3 year old, fantastic sleeper, always goes to bed at 7pm...but trying to get him settled in to a bed was a struggle.

In the end it was story, kiss good night, leave a dim lamp on. And eventually it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends.
    What time is he collected in the evenings?
    Are mammy and daddy both home before bed?

We used to get in at 6:45 so bed was about 8:30 for her to be woken at about 7:50 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

These bright evenings are terrible for getting them down to sleep. I barely know what time it is myself! Our wee man is 2 years 1 month and goes to his own bed around 9 - milk, jammies, story, 'night, night', bed. No napping past 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

If it's a recent thing, would you consider investing in a black out blind? It could be the brightness making it difficult from him to get to sleep.

Advertisement