Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are you a Christian?

• 01-07-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭

Why are you a Christian?

What does being a Christian mean to you ?

Do you ever have any doubts about God?

Do you believe that children should be baptized or allowed to pick their own faith when they are older?

Edit - No poll just copy and paste questions with your answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Why was Luciano Pavarotti an Italian singer?

Not trying to be smart. Just wondering could your question be phrased differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Include the poll. It'll get the topic going properly. The idea behind it is, were you brought up in the faith? Did you leave the faith and find your way back to it? Were you of another faith and switch to Christianity? In other words, how did you get to where you are theologically speaking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

A poll wouldn't be of much use. Having Christian parents does not guarantee Christian faith. There's only so long mum and dad can have a say in your beliefs. You need to make up your own mind. For me, I decided to follow Jesus when I was 17 when I read the Gospels for the first time. I acknowledged that the Bible told the truth about mankind, about sin, and ultimately I realised that I needed a Saviour. I repented and believed in Jesus, and I committed to living the rest of my life for Him. That was in 2007. I've had ups and downs, but ultimately my Christian faith is what inspires my life.

I believe there's an abundance of evidence for the Gospel being true, and as a result I'd like to contribute to this in more depth, I have quite a few reasons as to why I believe. Some of which I've touched on on other areas of this site, but this gives a good avenue for posting them.

I'll go and have a think about it and post some thoughts I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's a straightforward question.

Tipsy, check out the other areas, the buddhist and muslim threads should help in coming up with a poll. And to give people the other thread that might be of interest, the atheism one is here. Lots of people who wouldn't actually reply in words would vote in a poll.

• Advertisement

Those polls are inadequate though Pushtrak.

Just because you are brought up Christian does not guarantee Christianity. There are always other reasons at play. That's a genetic fallacy.

For example, personally I have Christian parents, but I personally did not believe in Christianity. I rejected Christianity for quite a while during my teenage years. It was only when I investigated Christianity for myself that I began to see that it was inherently reasonable. It made perfect sense.

Personally, the key reason as to why I can't deny the Gospel is the Resurrection of Jesus. No atheist has been able to provide a decent alternative explanation to that event. Nobody has been able to make sense of how Christianity emerged if Jesus simply remained dead in the tomb.

I phrased it in the following manner in 2009:
    2) Christian history does not make sense without a Resurrection event:
    Let's go through this bit by bit:
    a. You have been with a charismatic preacher for 3 years in Israel,
    b. You have seen this man endure trials of all sorts, and you have come to know His personal character during this time.
    c. You see this man die.
    x. -
    d. You and the others who were with you at the time, spread the teachings of this individuals thousands of miles throughout the Gentile world, preaching that we can become a new Creation in Christ Jesus if we are baptized and confess that Jesus is Lord (2 Corinthians 5).
    e. These men are zealous for the spiritual truths that this man taught throughout His worldly existence, even until the point of death, by stoning (James the Righteous - see Josephus' Jewish Antiquities), Thomas who is believed to have been gored with a spear in India, Peter said to be crucified upside down, James Son of Zebedee who was said to have been put to death by Herod in the book of Acts.
    Now, what on earth can explain the difference between d and e. How on earth if you have seen your best friend, if you have seen this man who has testified to such truths while alive, could they possibly have endured to spread it as zealously as they did and until the point of death? It does not make sense unless something extraordinary happened inbetween both of these events. I'm not saying that this necessarily has to be the Resurrection, but it certainly gives credence to it.
    If you cannot explain to me conclusively how all 11 disciples went through to the lengths that they did in a reasonable manner, then this will always give credence to something extraordinary having happened to bring these men to those lengths.
    Then taking into account that in the accounts the mention of women running to the tomb would have been seen as laughable in Jewish society at the time, a lack of an attempt to cover this up would indicate that it was indeed the honest and frank truth of the situation.
    There are more and more textual implications like these in the Gospels themselves.

philologos wrote: »
    Those polls are inadequate though Pushtrak.
    It would give a better impression than the thread would in its absence. If they are inadequate, perhaps you could suggest something that would provide a better basis and PDN could add it in?
    Personally, the key reason as to why I can't deny the Gospel is the Resurrection of Jesus. No atheist has been able to provide a decent alternative explanation to that event. Nobody has been able to make sense of how Christianity emerged if Jesus simply remained dead in the tomb.
    But it is easy to believe a con job could be done for 3 days. I always took issue to that. It seems a better means would have been to continue to spread the gospel for a number of years. Instead, we only have a very short amount of time, of people alleging to have seen it, or a person writing "Yeah, so, uh, people saw.. Yep, twas great." The message was spread far away from where anyone could reasonably say "no, that didn't happen" as they'd surely be shot down with "Were you there? No, oh so it obviously happened." Because thats how logical humans are (or can be), sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It would give a better impression than the thread would in its absence. If they are inadequate, perhaps you could suggest something that would provide a better basis and PDN could add it in?

But it is easy to believe a con job could be done for 3 days. I always took issue to that. It seems a better means would have been to continue to spread the gospel for a number of years. Instead, we only have a very short amount of time, of people alleging to have seen it, or a person writing "Yeah, so, uh, people saw.. Yep, twas great."

So you think the resurrection was for 3 days? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Why are you a Christian?

Because it makes sense to me, in terms of my view of myself, and in terms of my relationships with other people.

Trying to live as Jesus would have wanted, including adhering to the thousands of year of common sense and advice that is included in the Bible.

Yes.
    Do you believe that children should be baptized or allowed to pick their own faith when they are older?

Firstly they aren't mutually exclusive. Plenty of people have been baptised and grown up to be atheist, agnostic or any of a variety of other religions. I don't have an issue with baptising children. However if you ask me about confirmation I'd say it should be done a lot later (say around 18) than it generally is done in Ireland.

PDN wrote: »
    So you think the resurrection was for 3 days? :confused:
    Isn't the spiel on the third day he ascended in to heaven? Returned, showed up, and ascended in to heaven is how I remember the story goes. Not exactly sticking around for anything. Just has that returned bit so people will say "He rose from the dead! But, oh yeah, went away then."

• Advertisement

Pushtrak: You're going to have to do better than say a "con job" could have been done. How could one have been done. Provide a reasonable and sound alternative to the events described in the Gospel.

A better means would have been to spread the Gospel? Risking your life, for nothing, to gain nothing? Nothing other than death is what you would gain. How the heck is that better? The vast majority of the Apostles were killed for their beliefs, and they knew full well that that was a sure bet when they went out to proclaim it.

An easier option would have been to give up and head back to Galilee.
    Isn't the spiel on the third day he ascended in to heaven? Returned, showed up, and ascended in to heaven is how I remember the story goes. Not exactly sticking around for anything. Just has that returned bit so people will say "He rose from the dead! But, oh yeah, went away then."

No. It isn't. Jesus was resurrected on the third day, and later ascended. So the risen Jesus was alive and with them for a period of time before.

I think you should seriously sit down and read through the Gospels before trying to argue against them. Really investigate them, and really investigate if Jesus was who He said he was.

There's no point trying to argue against something without first having looked seriously into the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Isn't the spiel on the third day he ascended in to heaven?

On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

40 Days between the Resurrection and the Ascension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Why are you a Christian?

By the Grace of God I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner

Being Christian means getting to know and Love Christ, my creator and that I may get to be liberated in love here and after.

Yes and these doubts can be more severe in others though and can be a sort of Cross they must carry

They should be baptized and when they reach the appropriate legal age they can go ahead and choose whatever they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

prinz wrote: »
    Because it makes sense to me, in terms of my view of myself, and in terms of my relationships with other people.

Trying to live as Jesus would have wanted, including adhering to the thousands of year of common sense and advice that is included in the Bible.

Yes.

Firstly they aren't mutually exclusive. Plenty of people have been baptised and grown up to be atheist, agnostic or any of a variety of other religions. I don't have an issue with baptising children. However if you ask me about confirmation I'd say it should be done a lot later (say around 18) than it generally is done in Ireland.

I'd say this thread will attract a few people like myself who don't regard themselves as Christian - but here goes.
    I'd prefer the question was "Why do you wish to live as a Christian is supposed to?" There are enough - and have been enough people for whom Christianity is simply a label - for some a badge to impress.
    This is probably unfair on the Christians who will post here - if they take the trouble to muster their thoughts and post them here, they are most likely sincere believers.
    I was raised a Catholic here in England for no other reason than my mother was raised a Catholic in Ireland - just as nearly everyone was there - and certainly in the 1920's when she was growing up in rural Cork.
    In the town I grew up in there was no Catholic school, so I had to travel to the next town to attend junior school. For secondary education I actually had to travel to the next county! A journey by bicycle, train and bus!
    One consequence of this was that I, obviously, never went to school with the children of the town, growing up I hardly knew them.
    This was a downside of a religion that expected children to be raised in their parents faith - even if it was only one parent who was a Catholic.
    My experience of Catholicism in Ireland was that since virtually everbody was a Catholic there was little thought given to it - it just came up with the rations.
    I never found any questioning or doubting - at least not publicly.
    As a Catholic growing up in England I found that, after leaving school - when their was less compulsion to continue as a Catholic - you had to work at it, you had to want to do it. Something I never found with my relatives in Ireland in the old days.
    These are just a few observations, for what they are worth.
    It would be interesting if this thread continued, I'd like to read peoples opinions on the question posed in the title of this thread - even if I can't answer it personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Why are you a Christian?

Why are you a Christian?

Because merely learning about Christ and digging a little deeper to 'know' him made me completely and totally love him - but that doesn't even cut it really, it's personal, it's about honesty a lot too...

I'm a master of my 'trade' and I only say life through one way, I can't say that I was silly or anything, but living with Christ made me more 'awake' - if that's a good way to explain it - my heart is putty, not cement.

I did for a very long time think that I 'believed' but I don't think I ever understood, or even tried to - I loved life, I loved college, I loved travelling, but I never really 'loved' or thought too much about Christ. I was agnostic, I was atheist, but in a kind of 'yeah whatever' kind of way..I had 'doubts' - I had a tiny moment when I was reqested to 'doubt' my doubts, that's where my path changed, not overnight but decidedly.

As a Mum, I teach my children right from wrong, good from bad every single day of the week and don't particularly subscribe to Richard Dawkins opinion - Needless to say, I will continue to do so :) and with no apology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Why are you a Christian?

Well everyone was good enough to answer my atheist question so il try this.

1. I'm a Christian bacause I was brought p to be a Christian and because it makes sense to me. I get a sense of peace from being a Christian.

2. Being a Christian means being the best person I can, knowing right from wrong and knowing that I need to confess my sins when they happen and they will be forgiven.

3. I have had my doubts. I've sound many hours thinking and hoping for guidance and I still believe in God.

4.I think children should be baptised. A person can always decide later on in life to change their religion or to become an Athesist.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭The Sky

Why are you a Christian?

1. Found my faith after a realistic dream of that I was dying and all I could think of was I am not going to heaven and it scared me so much and I begged for forgiveness and when I woke up, I had my faith in God.

2. Christian to me means loving God and loving others around and having peace of mind knowing I feel complete.

3. Nope.

4. Yes and no, If I had kids, I would have them baptized and raised christian but I would love if they found God like I did in later life as they would have more commitment towards God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

Why are you a Christian?

When I was younger I was a lapsed Catholic, but over the years I read what I could about the Catholic Faith, and it's deeper meanings. I slowly came to love the Catholic Faith.

What does being a Christian mean to you?

Loving God, and loving my neighbour!

No!

No, as a Christian It's my duty to spread the good news. I would raise my children as Christians.

Advertisement