Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are you a Muslim ?

• 01-07-2012 9:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭

Just a short question to get other peoples perspectives :

Why are you a Muslim ?

- Were you born into Islam, or are you a convert ?

- If you were born into it why do you remain an Muslim ?

- If you converted why ? etc.

Salam.

Why are you a Muslim 6 votes

I was born into Islam, and I have faith that it is true
    0% 0 votes
    I was born into Islam, I have tried looking at other religions, but still feel Islam is the best
    16% 1 vote
    I am a convert to Islam
    16% 1 vote
    I no longer practice Islam
    50% 3 votes
    None of the above, I'm just here our of intrest
    16% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Just a short question to get other peoples perspectives :

Why are you a Muslim ?

- Were you born into Islam, or are you a convert ?

- If you were born into it why do you remain an Muslim ?

- If you converted why ? etc.

Salam.

Convert here.

Was introduced to Islam by a Muslim friend (who is now my wife!). Having no interest in religion I began asking her questions, and the more I learnt, the more it seemed natural and right. Took about two years of reading, watching videos, etc I took the plunge and converted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Convert here.

Was introduced to Islam by a Muslim friend (who is now my wife!). Having no interest in religion I began asking her questions, and the more I learnt, the more it seemed natural and right. Took about two years of reading, watching videos, etc I took the plunge and converted.

Must have been a brave decision for you considering all the negative stereotypes about Islam being pushed in our faces by the media everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

charlemont wrote: »
    Must have been a brave decision for you considering all the negative stereotypes about Islam being pushed in our faces by the media everyday.

More frustrating when most of what people know about Islam is so wide of the mark. And that is how I was before I met my wife, I didn't know the difference between Muslims and Hindus!! How embarrassing! I actually find Islam very close to the culture and beliefs of my grandparent's generation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Convert here.

My god , if you read some books on science and evolution maybe you would have seen even further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

jcf wrote: »
    My god , if you read some books on science and evolution maybe you would have seen even further

I'm a muslim, and out of the 200+ books in my house I'd say 40% are science based. Also there is no problem with evolution in Islam.

Perhaps you are the one who needs to do further reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Jaafa wrote: »
    I'm a muslim, and out of the 200+ books in my house I'd say 40% are science based. Also there is no problem with evolution in Islam.
    I'm sure that varies greatly depending on which adherent you would ask. I'd be disinclined to think evolution acceptance is the dominant view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm sure that varies greatly depending on which adherent you would ask. I'd be disinclined to think evolution acceptance is the dominant view.

I don't believe so. There creationist movement in Islam is nothing like the Christian one in terms of size and prominence, and there's nothing explicit in the Quran that would contradict evolution.

The 'dominant view' if there is one, I believe would be that God set in motion the process of evolution.

At least that is my impression from all the Muslims I've met, I remain open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 There

jcf wrote: »

Even better during the history of Islam there was a point that the Islamic state was the leading frontier on scientific research. Pick up any medical book and you will constantly come across “we don’t know why this happens but it does”. I find it kind of funny how we still don’t know how the body functions completely and the reason behind all the mechanisms yet people are quick to out rule God based on theories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

There wrote: »
    Even better during the history of Islam there was a point that the Islamic state was the leading frontier on scientific research. Pick up any medical book and you will constantly come across “we don’t know why this happens but it does”. I find it kind of funny how we still don’t know how the body functions completely and the reason behind all the mechanisms yet people are quick to out rule God based on theories.
    I'm not interested in the pursuit of the god of the gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 There

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm not interested in the pursuit of the god of the gaps.

I hear you and that wasn’t the point I was making I was simply making an observation I am not saying this justifies the existence of God because of our lack of knowledge at present as I know that new knowledge in medicine is always being researched but that people should not just dismiss God based on scientific ideas that have not been proven and are still theory. This is because there are a lot of people that dismiss God based on these things in a way putting “faith” in ideas still not completely proven. I personally find that science and all the discoveries both old and new on how the body works are one of the reasons I believe in God. My apologies if my first post came off wrong as the “God of gaps” was defiantly not the angle I was aiming at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement