Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Can you stop a cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭danois

I cancelled one today online.

It might not stay canceled they told me it might be possible to cancel a DD but that it would most likely be automatically set back up once the system is up again. Then when she tried to cancel it it wouldnt anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

Can you stop a cheque?

You can notify your branch but all they can do is take the details and key it when the system is back functioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

there are still duplicate transactions showing up on my current account.

should I contact UB about them being removed tomorrow?, or wait another week/2 weeks/however long its going to take them to fix this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Betty Swallox

Stheno wrote: »
    Also to stop the "OMG they outsourced" RBS transferred the jobs to india, they did not outsource and now admit the core error was committed in the UK.

The reason why RBS are so quick to admit that the fault occurred in the UK, is because they are trying to cover up that they aggressively outsourced their IT department to India over the past 3 years (shafting their Irish & UK workers) and it is the IT department in India who are unable to get the systems back up and running. The infrastructure might be in the UK, but that's about it.

• Advertisement

Keep an eye on it.

Not sure if it will work.

They can't cancel / amend or set up standing order requests received through the normal channels. Basically anything to do with amending an account [address change, marking an overdraft limit, changing an interest rate, standing order amendments, stopping cheques] - none of this can be done at the moment.

I'd still send them these instructions though. Cover yourself so that if something goes wrong you can ensure that you're not out of pocket.

there are still duplicate transactions showing up on my current account.

should I contact UB about them being removed tomorrow?, or wait another week/2 weeks/however long its going to take them to fix this problem

Wait a couple of days and see if they drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Did you manage to close your UB account and transfer all you money to PTSB? My problem is I need my money.

I contacted the call centre on Tuesday of last week and told them I wanted to clear my saving account. They said the amount involved needed to be notified to the branch 24 hours in advance, so they e-mailed the branch. Contacted them again on Wednesday, was told to go online and transfer the balance from my savings acount (which the branch can't access) to my current account before calling to the branch. Did that, went to the branch, collected the loot and deposited it in PTSB. The staff in both branches were very helpful and efficient, as were the call centre staff.

So for now, savings in PTSB; CC and C/A and a small deposit (float) still in Ulster. Will decide whether to move those as well in a few weeks, after I receive my compo ;). And anyway, moving your deposit/savings hurts UB, moving your CC and C/A saves them money, unless of course you are paying them lots of fees and interest. Whats important to me is that I will never make the same mistake again, and have all my eggs in one basket, or all my money in one bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Still no movement in my account; awaiting a cash deposit over the counter, a transfer from paypal and money from another bank to appear.

Another third party update that provides more info than the UB/RBS ones. It mentions the meeting between Stephen Hester and Matthew Elderfield in Dublin today.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/problems-at-ulster-bank.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭millymoo

No change for me today. Made two visa debits (nervously) but debited immediately. Im terribly concerned about the lengthy of time for eft's to hit. It's seriously seriously not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TheMerb

Went for food after work this evening with BF. He has started a new job and won't get paid until tomorrow..... So i said I would pay.... however my card was declinied and the cash machine said insufficient funds.... I have NEVER been so mortified..... I have exactly €2.85 on me..... :mad:

Great quote on politics.ie
    It really is the Fukushima of the retail banking world - an accident which over a period of days, spirals out of control after multiple inept attempts to fix it. Decades of hyper-conservative and cautious IT operations are for nought. They might as well have been running the system on a virus infected laptop in an Internet cafe, for the level of trust that people have in it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

mwrf wrote: »
    What's OPC exactly?

Its an IBM scheduler tool. It organises applications, jobs and programs into a logical order, allowing for the completion of a process.
    With no OPC, it's very hard to run the jobs. A lot of it is guesswork

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

For me at least, the picture on Vincent Browne is frozen right now (only tuned in to see if they would cover UB, don't think they will) but the audio is continuing.
    Wondering if they have "fixed the issue" but are dealing with the pixel-update backlog manually...I think I saw one of the guy's fingers move a bit a second ago....:p

RBS are being very smart with their statements where they state the systems and people who maintain the systems are in the UK. What they fail to detail is that although the infrastructure is located and managed in the UK, the OPC and scheduling activities are done in India and it was there that the incident originated.

The Indians manage OPC, scheduling, production support and disaster recovery e.g. all the important bits.

Domhnall66 wrote: »
    For me at least, the picture on Vincent Browne is frozen right now (only tuned in to see if they would cover UB, don't think they will) but the audio is continuing.
    Wondering if they have "fixed the issue" but are dealing with the pixel-update backlog manually...I think I saw one of the guy's fingers move a bit a second ago....:p

I thought it was only my bloody TV3 that was acting up. Pixellating b@stards. They are to television what Ulster are to banking.
    Sam Smyth is chairing tonight. I think Vincent is on his summer holidays. Well for some

mwrf wrote: »
    What's OPC exactly?

OPC is the former name of the product now known as IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler for z/OS. It does wxactly what was described above.

But isn't it CA-7 that RBS are using and managed to screw up, rather than OPC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

I didn't get my monthly wages last week and thought I would use my UB credit card for a cash advance to save me going to the bank as it says on their site
    Ulster Bank credit card holders can also access cash using our cash advance service and there will be no fee or interest charged for using this service provided the amount is repaid within one month of the withdrawal.

Now the transaction has come up on my internet banking and there is a cash handling fee with it :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Betty Swallox

Hibernicis wrote: »
    But isn't it CA-7 that RBS are using and managed to screw up, rather than OPC ?

You are right - RBS use CA-7 and not OPC, as their scheduler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

henke wrote: »
    I didn't get my monthly wages last week and thought I would use my UB credit card for a cash advance to save me going to the bank as it says on their site

Now the transaction has come up on my internet banking and there is a cash handling fee with it :rolleyes:.

yeah, the same thing happened to me.

i wouldnt worry about it. just phone them up and request it be taken off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 m.kot

henke wrote: »
    Ulster Bank credit card holders can also access cash using our cash advance service and there will be no fee or interest charged for using this service provided the amount is repaid within one month of the withdrawal.

Had cash handling fee few days ago. But they are disappeard...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

m.kot wrote: »
    Had cash handling fee few days ago. But they are disappeard...

Very "Talking Heads" with my own account; "same as it ever was" since 22.06...2 euros and 24 cents, precisely...

Letting The Days Go By/Let The Water Hold Me Down
    Letting The Days Go By/Water Flowing Underground
    Into The Blue Again/After The Money's Gone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXBREk72ynM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Have a look in next few days. I cancelled mine and it came back day/few days later as active!
    There is some statement functionality now - maybe they did make some progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

In the last 90 minutes, we've had 2 weeks worth of credit/Laser card payment lodged in 7 different transactions thank the lord.

A bit of movement at last. :D

In the last 90 minutes, we've had 2 weeks worth of credit/Laser card payment lodged in 7 different transactions thank the lord.

Seems like business accounts are being dealt with...
    No movement in my account (personal)...
    Duplicated transaction, charge for S/O, and one (succesful thank god...) transfer from savings...
    They usually do all changes between 2-3 am, hope i see some credits in the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Just came across this:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/personal-finance/rbs-natwest-and-ulster-bank-to-refund-1125374
    "The glitch mainly affected the group’s NatWest arm but also hit RBS and its Ulster Bank subsidiary." Are they extracting the michael!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Glad someones having positive changes/movement on your acc. Can I enquire as to where your acc is located please in regard to being North or south of the border. Pre thanks.

chasm wrote: »
    Just came across this:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/personal-finance/rbs-natwest-and-ulster-bank-to-refund-1125374
    "The glitch mainly affected the group’s NatWest arm but also hit RBS and its Ulster Bank subsidiary." Are they extracting the michael!!

"Those worried can get a free copy of their details. "

Can't figure out the sentence above, can you?

Professionals at their best...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

wonski wrote: »
    "Those worried can get a free copy of their details. "

Can't figure out the sentence above, can you?

Professionals at their best...

Details of their Credit score i think as it followed after this: "It is also ­understood bosses have agreed special terms with credit ratings agencies to ensure victims are not left with black marks on their records."
    You'd swear it was only a minor issue here from that article!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement