Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Islander13 wrote: »
    Just got paid too. Was due on 22nd. Ulster Bank, you're mostly forgiven

So you'll forgive and forget the awful time, lies and cover up's they put people through over the last weeks just because you got, what is your money, into your account 2 weeks later?!!! I just hope this is not typical of the general reaction, otherwise this thread will be a lot of talk and no action..

People and companies make mistakes. I've banked with them for thirty years with no major issues up until now so why would I move. At least we aren't paying to clear up their property mistakes like the other more incompetent banks people are moving too

• Registered Users Posts: 5 reecey

People and companies make mistakes. I've banked with them for thirty years with no major issues up until now so why would I move. At least we aren't paying to clear up their property mistakes like the other more incompetent banks people are moving too

I thought we were! RBS/Natwest/Ulster Bank 82% Government owned, bailed out by the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Good argument actually. They fecked up in the open, not behind the closed doors among friends who are happy to sign checks for billions in our name.

But I wouldn't worry about frontline staff; wherever the customer goes, staff follows, because other banks will have staff shortages if their account numbers swell as people move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

reecey wrote: »

I thought we were! RBS/Natwest/Ulster Bank 82% Government owned, bailed out by the taxpayer.

I live and pay taxes in the republic so I ain't. Though I do feel sorry for the uk tax payers cleaning up the dumb paddies mistakes in ub and elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5 reecey

I live and pay taxes in the republic so I ain't. Though I do feel sorry for the uk tax payers cleaning up the dumb paddies mistakes in ub and elsewhere

Ah yeah, sorry, wasn't thinking you were across da border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

i don't want to pay for my banking so AIB are out. My nearest PTSB branch is only open on office hours and is too far away to get to on a lunch break. Whereas I live near a large Ulster Bank branch, I work near another one and they open on Saturdays.

Ulster Bank is still my preferred bank for these reasons and others. I'm not really interested in punishing them for what has gone on. If they deal with the fallout well over the next few weeks and I feel confident that this won't happen again then I'll likely stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jcupcake

reecey wrote: »

Well by the British Government and that sits ok with me.

Checked last night for june 22nd wages, no sign of it, I am happy to see lots of people finally getting paid today as for me if I check now and it's not there I think I will die inside.

As for leaving I really don't want to for a couple of reasons;

1) The staff are unbelievably amazing, polite, friendly and helpful even in this crisis I don't think anyone here would knock their professionalism.

2) When I walk into my local branch the lady even knows my name, like they make an effort to know you? for some that might not be alot but it's a nice touch.

3) When I opened up my first account you get to have chats with a financial advisor, even about the simple stuff like would you like to save for a holiday, here's what we offer... Ok I know it's an Ulster Bank Advisor but still!

4) I like how it's the little bank that could, it feels like a bank for the people,

I've been with BOI and AIB and I feel like they look down their noses at me when I deposit money even if it's a small amount as if they didn't care, they are really old school, old money feel about those banks

Ulster Bank feels youthful and fresh

These are my opinions and my experiences oh and....

FREE BANKING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Dumb paddies? RBS was operating Ulster Bank during the mad-days too and profiting massively during the boom. The banks in this market, including UK ones like HBOS and RBS lent like there was no tomorrow and fully believed their own hype.

RBS' losses across their entire organisation, in the UK too, were breathtaking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7911722.stm for example.

I'd feel sorry for any tax payer, anywhere who has to bail these organisations out. It's totally unfair.

A former RBS CEO even got his knighthood withdrawn ! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/31/fred-goodwin-ex-rbs-ceo_n_1244495.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

Got the wages from the 23rd into my ac today :) Woop!

Cant do transactions though between banks but my local back over the phone offered to physically take out the money of my account and walk down to the aib/boi and lodge it for me. That's pretty good service if you ask me! :D

I think i'll be staying with UB tbh, if this collapse has happened now, maybe they will not let it happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Has anyone seen any manual in branch transactions gone through yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Vicxas wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any manual in branch transactions gone through yet?

Apparently it can't start until the system is fully back up and running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wages due on the 21st have been received in today with a date of June 26 on it.

Progress at least.

Nice too see some movement finally

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Progress at least.

Whats fascinating me is that they have been on the ball taking money used on my Debit card but can't wire my wages in?

I really don't understand how this is possible.

Are they having to manually add up wages? I assume they've got people working through the night at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

When this situation in resolved will see if I want to move banks, very little point in moving at the minute as they still have 2 salaries due to me.
    While the fact that this has happened at all is not good enough, its more.how they handle the fall out. As has been pointed out the.frontline staff have been fantastic and these.are.the people that you deal with on a daily basis.
    Undoubtedly they will lose some accounts, but it will be the hard work and.professionalism of.the staff in branch that will help retain accounts. Their work has been amazing and it should be recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dreadfist

Yes, my salary which was due on 22/06 finally appeared on "Accounts Summary" but dated 26/06.
    I assume this is the correct date after all, as banks have agreements to let you access the cash the same day as your employer lodges the money, even if the actual transfer clears in about 2 working days.
    However, when I look into "View full statements", last debit transaction on the account is dated 22/06 and last credited amount is dated 19/06. Anything more recent is not listed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Progress at least.
    Exactly the same situation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Dreadfist wrote: »
    However, when I look into "View full statements", last debit transaction on the account is dated 22/06 and last credited amount is dated 19/06. Anything more recent is not listed at all.

Are you debit card transactions appearing on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

MugMugs wrote: »

Progress at least.

Whats fascinating me is that they have been on the ball taking money used on my Debit card but can't wire my wages in?

I really don't understand how this is possible.

Are they having to manually add up wages? I assume they've got people working through the night at this stage?
    Not an expert by any means but they use different systems for each element of the bank e.g. debit tx are processed through one systems and transfers a different one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Up until now the situation was almost tolerable. Yeah, the balance on my account had sat there, frozen at whatever level it was at on the day it all happened, but I had some vague notion of my incoming and outgoing money, and I had some idea.

Now, my balance changes. But there are no entries in the on-line banking system that would explain why and how.

For a week I've been looking at their sincere message stating that they know that what is going on is unacceptable. Yeah, it was unacceptable. Last week. Now it has moved WAY beyond that.

Only question that remains is: what bank do you all recommend moving to? I'm very reluctant to move to a native Irish bank. Still finding it VERY hard to take those seriously.

Decisions, decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Wages due from 21st have appeared today. No sign of direct debits being listed as paid yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dreadfist

MugMugs wrote: »
    Are you debit card transactions appearing on time?

They are, but only in "Accounts summary" page.

Come on 29th, papa needs a new pair of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

J-blk wrote: »
    I understand how you feel - I've been with them for about 12 years and found it hard to decide to move, but enough is enough. They have failed at the most fundamental level. Would you stay with your phone provider if they could not provide a phone service for weeks on end? Your TV provider if they could not provide TV services for weeks on end, etc and no idea when service would be restored? So why stay with a bank that can't process transactions FFS?

In fairness - it is a reduced service, not a complete lack of service. I could still access with my wages by going in to the branch. My credit and debit cards have been working fine with transactions going in as normal. My dd's were not refused (well so far!). I can't fault them in their efforts to give people access to funds.

It is a fairly major f*ck up but it's the first one I've had with them in 35 years. So I'll probably keep my current account but move my savings elsewhere as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lislaw

What the hell is going on in Ulster Bank? Up till today all my transactions were appearing as usual on my account. Now, suddenly this morning, its all messed up.
    Transactions since the 20th of June are incomplete with most of them missing.

When I rang them they weren't able to give any sort of satisfactory explanation - just the inaccurate company line they've stuck to since this all started.

I asked the guy straight out were Ulster Bank having financial difficulties in the Irish market. He told me he wasn't aware of any issues of that nature - So I asked him "in his opinion" was this the case - his answer - "In my opinion, I don't think so" - Surely to god the answer should be an emphatic "No, absolutely no such problems - you have no need to worry"

Guess what - now I'm beginning to become very, very concerned...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Vicxas wrote: »
    Come on 29th, papa needs a new pair of everything

We will have to wait a bit more...
    Lot of activity on accounts today, recruitment seems to be completed.

I have to admit - i can spend less than in any other month, and still enjoy life!!! Time to make a new financial plan for next years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

May I remind everyone about civility. Just because your disagree with someone's point of view, it doesn't give you carte blanche to be insulting, or to belittle it. People are perfectly entitled to be satisfied with Ulster Bank's handling of this if they wish to be. It's not your place to tell them how to feel, no more than it's their place to tell you not to be unhappy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I think I will be leaving them... It's gotten beyond unreasonable! Yesterday my sister was told by staff on the phone to get our parents to pay her bills until the fiasco is sorted. I understand that the staff are getting some stick from customers but they should still be able to maintain professionalism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

jcupcake wrote: »
    As for leaving I really don't want to for a couple of reasons;
    1) The staff are unbelievably amazing, polite, friendly and helpful even in this crisis I don't think anyone here would knock their professionalism.

2) When I walk into my local branch the lady even knows my name, like they make an effort to know you? for some that might not be alot but it's a nice touch.

3) When I opened up my first account you get to have chats with a financial advisor, even about the simple stuff like would you like to save for a holiday, here's what we offer... Ok I know it's an Ulster Bank Advisor but still!

4) I like how it's the little bank that could, it feels like a bank for the people,

I've been with BOI and AIB and I feel like they look down their noses at me when I deposit money even if it's a small amount as if they didn't care, they are really old school, old money feel about those banks

Ulster Bank feels youthful and fresh

These are my opinions and my experiences oh and....

FREE BANKING!
    I agree that UB feel like a young bank as they were the first to go visa debit. But they denied me an overdraft because my account is a student account and I was on holidays for the summer. She didn't even check my account, its a blanket rule.

I like that BOI will consider your application for overdraft and they have lodgment ATMs so I can lodge small money for internet shopping without queues/dealing with humans.

Anyway did anyone who got paid on the 28th get their salary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

So wages due on 21st are now going in? I guess I will have to wait a few days longer for my monthly wage which was due on the 28th :-(.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement