Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kassbah

chasm wrote: »
    Have you made any atm withdrawals. My online account was showing my ATM withdrawals immediately up till today, then this morning i noticed the withdrawal i made on 25/6 was no longer on the account activity and my balance had increased by the amount of the said withdrawal. I'm just assuming it's due to them processing all payments and it will (hopefully) correct itself again when they are finished processing all 25/6 transactions again.
    Thankfully, due to years of banking with AIB and having to wait days for POS and ATM transactions to appear on my a/c, i keep a ledger of all my transactions so it's making it easier to see what payments are being removed/applied or reapplied.

See I had a savings account set up online too with some funds in there, I needed money for a wedding at the weekend so just done a quick transfer online from savings to current then drew out from the ATM. I also made a payment online from my current acc to BOI on 22nd for 320....I initially thought that as it didn't pay within so many days it would auto credit back to the account (it still hasn't paid to either acct), but then I couldn't account for the diff of 5 euro, so I don't think it was this and then had it confirmed when I called the call center, but of course the girl behind the desk told me it could have been and then gave me the fraud help line number just incase, but sure that was no use either as they couldn't see anything, he just told me that if I was concerned to cancel my card, and I'm not doing that because knowing my luck everything will be fine an hour after cancelling it!!

I just know its all going to look like spaghetti junction at some point and I'm gonna get more stressed out trying to figure out what went where and why (in my case).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

millymoo wrote: »
    Would I need to log on on the laptop to see movement or would the app contain the same info?

App should reflect the same.
    Today I saw a SO I have set-up move from my UB current account. It took about 6 hours to show up in app on my other UB saving account.
    My debits (on-line purchases, POS purchases, ATM withdrawals etc) are coming out instantly and showing up in my mini-statement on app instantly.

However, nothing has been credited to my account (except above) since the issue. I was due a payment 25th JUNE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I'm very worried i might be overdrawn,Online it said i was -22 quid the girl in UB said not to worry about it,Now it's saying i have + 70 bucks...I think i should have bout 100 quid in there but im not so sure..What will happen if im overdrawn??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I'm very worried i might be overdrawn,Online it said i was -22 quid the girl in UB said not to worry about it,Now it's saying i have + 70 bucks...I think i should have bout 100 quid in there but im not so sure..What will happen if im overdrawn??

Nothing - you might see a charge on the account but you will get that cancelled when all this crap is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Eblana12

Prop Joe wrote: »

Stop worrying. If you are overdrawn UB will have to give you time to repay the overdraft and will not charge you penalties or charges. I would guess that there are hundreds if not thousands who are going to be overdrawn after this either deliberately or by accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

We went into the local branch of UB today and withdrew the remains of OH salary which should have been lodged in the a/c since June 21st.

There has been absolutely no movement of any transactions on the a/c from checking online.
    Boards.ie is the only way I keep up to date on this fiasco so I know some accounts are being updated but not others (or mine).

I asked the guy behind the counter re: this weeks salary which is due to be paid this Thursday 5th July and he said it was highly unlikely it would go in as normal - so more of the same it seems.
    Can't fault the branch (liffey valley)- the've been great - not their fault, but I am considering moving to PTSB this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Yesterday's statement from the mothership (RBS) concerning Irish customers.

http://www.rbs.com/news/2012/07/rbs-group-updates-on-technology-issues-affecting-its-ulster-bank.html

Forgive me if it was posted here already. It has been quoted in the press but interesting (and a tiny bit reassuring) to read it in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Realtine wrote: »
    Boards.ie is the only way I keep up to date on this fiasco so I know some accounts are being updated but not others (or mine).

You're not the only one. Not just me either.

It appears the damn media are using boards.ie as a way to gather public opinion and have often referred to boards.ie recently as a way of providing a gauge of public perception.

I have been annoyed at the Media because they were all over the problem from the 22nd onwards and then more or less forgot all about it and now they are back on top of it and harping on about "Child Benefit" like it is the be all and end all of everything. Like most Media they appear to be looking for a good aul scapegoat to throw the sink at but seem to be lost in a world of cross border banking confusion. I got better information from reading about RBS and Natwest over the past 2 weeks than anything coming from Ulster Bank.

I personally feel sorry for the Front Line Staff. I called the 1800 number today and got a guy who worked in his own office in Corporate Affairs. Anybody with a phone appears to be drafted onto the phone lines. Poor guy, although very knowlegable in his own right, could say nothing more than "I'm not sure, I can't say...........etc".

I feel sorry for those who are often finding themselves at the end of a week/month nearer the €0 mark because it makes managing their finances even harder right now. We had two wages hit our account today but the DD's, although paid, didn't show up so Ching Ching, in the money for the short term. If only the other missing week would go in so we can go on holidays next week. More wages heading towards UB from our employes tomorrow night. :rolleyes:

I left BOI a month ago for UB. I'm not moving back. I don't trust AIB and PTSB treated me badly 4 years ago. This is a bump in the road, a big bump in the road, but a bump in the road not apparently insidious or purposeful either.

I'm normally not very patient but I must be patient because nobody can fix this with compensation or a magic wand. (I like the previous iPad idea mainly because I would like one :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I went in last Friday with my payslip and withdrew the amount I was owed from wages due on the 20th. Today an eft matching that amount appeared in my account. So i've received the same set of wages twice! Has this happened to anyone else??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I went in last Friday with my payslip and withdrew the amount I was owed from wages due on the 20th. Today an eft matching that amount appeared in my account. So i've received the same set of wages twice! Has this happened to anyone else??

You didn't take out your wages. You took an I.O.U, now you owe back the cash you took out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 yoji101

They gave you money on the strenght of the payslip you showed them. Just leave the money in your account as when they catch up the money you already took out will be taken out. Unless you want to end up owing them money don't take any more than your wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Beer Baron wrote: »
    You didn't take out your wages. You took an I.O.U, now you owe back the cash you took out.

So instead of taking back this payment straight away after processing it, they're relying on people not to withdraw the amount again and close their account without paying off the IOU? Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I left BOI a month ago for UB. I'm not moving back. I don't trust AIB and PTSB treated me badly 4 years ago. This is a bump in the road, a big bump in the road, but a bump in the road not apparently insidious or purposeful either.

+1

I'm surprised at the number of people switching to PTSB too. They are a bunch of ignorant *.
    Switched to them after Halifax left and only finally got the last of my money out about 2 months ago. They were great for getting the money in, and then very quick to wack on charges, then great when the lies started of oh we'll refund those, don't worry, just wait another month.
    Getting my money out of the monthly saver almost resulted in going down the complaints route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So instead of taking back this payment straight away after processing it, they're relying on people not to withdraw the amount again and close their account without paying off the IOU? Madness!

They couldn't debit your account straight away for the very reason that debits weren't being processed. They've advanced you on your salary. It's not ideal for a number of reasons but it was the only option they really had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

There's a piece of paper sitting in the branch at the moment that is a withdrawal slip. They will be putting that through their batch soon to withdraw the money off your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I emailed Charlie Weston today and asked if he would ask The Regulator why Ulster Bank are not being fined for every day this goes on. He thought it a good idea and said he would put the query to the Central Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

MugMugs wrote: »
    I emailed Charlie Weston today and asked if he would ask The Regulator why Ulster Bank are not being fined for every day this goes on. He thought it a good idea and said he would put the query to the Central Bank.

I emailed Joan Burton (my local TD as well as Minister for Social Protection) on Sunday and she replied immediately with a pledge to raise this disgraceful and untenable situation at the most senior levels possible. Fair play to Joan not only looking after those on benefit whose payments from her department were affected en masse but also the thousands of us in wider society in need of some protection!

Nah....she didn't. No one replied, not even a factotum and not even as a placeholder to acknowledge the contact.

http://free-loops.com/2889-crickets-chirping.html

Domhnall66 wrote: »

I emailed Joan Burton (my local TD as well as Minister for Social Protection) on Sunday and she replied immediately with a pledge to raise this disgraceful and untenable situation at the most senior levels possible. Fair play to Joan not only looking after those on benefit whose payments from her department were affected en masse but also the thousands of us in wider society in need of some protection!

Nah....she didn't. No one replied, not even a factotum and not even as a placeholder to acknowledge the contact.

Heh.... I'm not surprised that you're not surprised to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

Islander13 wrote: »
    People and companies make mistakes. I've banked with them for thirty years with no major issues up until now so why would I move. At least we aren't paying to clear up their property mistakes like the other more incompetent banks people are moving too

Yep, any company can be in this situation. But it's how you communicate this in an honest and open way to your customers that counts. They failed this on an enormous level. They have promised to make it up to customers and that no customer will be out of pocket. I'm watching this space..:)

Watching RTE Six One news and they deem the e-voting machine assembly as being more news worthy than the plight of tens of thousands of UB customers.

• Advertisement

The best way for RBS to put it right would be to move their IT centre back from India to Dublin and Edinburgh and get the staff they made redundant back. They knew what they were doing. No major outages on their watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Domhnall66 wrote: »

She's about the only TD who has said anything about this (not that the bank will take much notice anyway)

http://www.joanburton.ie/social-protection-2/minister-burton-obtains-assurances-from-ulster-bank

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/joan-burton-lashes-ulster-bank-over-cash-chaos-3146374.html

All the rest are too busy "welcoming" things such as Vietnamese Adoption Agreements !! or goimg to Greyound RAces or opening Sheep 2012 :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

king2 wrote: »
    The Situation with Ulster Bank is completely unacceptable.I have 2 savings Accounts with them and only recently transferred my current account from National Irish. There is obviously something fundamentally wrong here. They are now saying things wont be back to normal until next week at the earliest. The Head of RBOS has stated that their UK operation has been given priority over Ireland.I am not having this. I am going to close all my Ulster Bank Accounts this week, over 22 thou on deposit.

You can't.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79525097

• Registered Users Posts: 28 teddy6

cailindana wrote: »
    Will my direct debits from the last 2 weeks go through automatically when this mess is eventually sorted or do I need to go pay them in person? I've been away on holiday and its been a nightmare.. :(

Three direct debits from last week did not go through at the time. One of them went through today. I wouldn't do anything about it with regards to the bank. By the sounds of it they wouldn't change any of these details on your account.. They don't seem to be able to do that at the moment. I would suggest contacting companies that are involved, at some stage to make sure your credit rating is not affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

who thinks theyll come out with yet another deadline next wk?:(

was talking to helpline staff today, very friendly and courteous, but couldnt really tell me more than i already knew from reading boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

who thinks theyll come out with yet another deadline next wk?:(

was talking to helpline staff today, very friendly and courteous, but couldnt really tell me more than i already knew from reading boards.

Wud reckon they'll need another 2 weeks MIN - counter staff have 1,000s of paper slips to key & volume is growing daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TheMerb

Rang and shouted down the phone at them last night..... Suddenly money begins to appear in my account today..... coincidence perhaps..... result though..!!!!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

1966 wrote: »
    Wud reckon they'll need another 2 weeks MIN - counter staff have 1,000s of paper slips to key & volume is growing daily.

shouldnt they be shutting up shop for a few days to try and get on top of the growing pile of manual withdrawls and lodgements?

or are staff currently working on these in the background?

i naively lodged money manually at the beginning of last week, as UB said things would be resolved by the end of last wk.

they say normality will resume the middle of next wk, i just dont believe them anymore!

Am I correct in assuming that once I eventually get paid and if I don't approach a branch for an advance that I'll be more or less up to date balance wise? Are direct debits going to he honoured despite my balance without penalties for the next while? That's what I'm led to believe from their statements.

• Advertisement

Am I correct in assuming that once I eventually get paid and if I don't approach a branch for an advance that I'll be more or less up to date balance wise? Are direct debits going to he honoured despite my balance without penalties for the next while? That's what I'm led to believe from their statements.

I think they're forcing through direct debits regardless of funds. They have the power to do that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement