Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Fixing the mess is one thing. Refunding customers and repairing relationships is going to be a whole different ball game. They'll really suffer when it comes to the refunds. They don't have the business experts in place anymore. They got some business people to come back to help them. People they had made redundant. But they may need to hold on to them for months and months if they want to do refunds correctly. No point in asking an Indian to do it. They don't have a clue about the business of banking

I'm the first to fire my headset against the wall after trying to get sense out of some shower in Mumbai. But for the love of God, change the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Fixing the mess is one thing. Refunding customers and repairing relationships is going to be a whole different ball game. They'll really suffer when it comes to the refunds. They don't have the business experts in place anymore. They got some business people to come back to help them. People they had made redundant. But they may need to hold on to them for months and months if they want to do refunds correctly. No point in asking an Indian to do it. They don't have a clue about the business of banking

sure reversing charges are just a matter of pushing a few buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

sure reversing charges are just a matter of pushing a few buttons?

In some cases, yes. You refund a flat charge with a refund. But then you have overlimit item charges that are complex beasts. Interest and fee refunds are another complexity. It's not all that simple at all

In some cases, yes. You refund a flat charge with a refund. But then you have overlimit item charges that are complex beasts. Interest and fee refunds are another complexity. It's not all that simple at all

my bad.

thought it would have been a simple process of reversing a charge by pressing a few buttons, or if the charge couldnt be reversed, then at least credit account with the same amount...

We should do what the French do and March on UB headquarters in Dublin.
    No movement of any description on my accounts. Living off my UB CC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

My UB account is up and down like a yoyo despite there being no transactions that I know or expect of due to go/ in/out of it in the last week! I only use it for my work expenses and have been checking it for the craic to see if there is anything strange going on in it. Variance of +/- €200 per day.

I am still waiting for other expenses into my BoI account made via UB since the 27th and no sign. Beginning to get annoying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jcupcake

Meant to get paid 22/6

Came through today.

There is hope out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

If you annoy the UK business, Cameron and Osborne are on the phone. It's only Honohan, Elderfield and Enda you have to worry about over here. Teddy bears (I'm being sarcastic. Thinking like the RBS bosses were thinking)

I'd disagree on one count. Whatever about Kenny and Honohan - Elderfield will be vicious with them. He arrived on our shores to do two things; clean up the mess and ready himself for the really really big league. Apart altogether from the fact that he is a principled individual who believes that there is only one (RIGHT) way to do things, he is very ambitious and will be most intolerant of anyone who mucks up his reputation. No way will he allow the perpetrators of a mess on this scale on his watch to go unscathed. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, he was caught on the back foot when Mervin King fired a shot across the bows of RBS on Tuesday 26th. This left Ireland, UB and Elderfield looking like a sideshow. By the time Elderfield unleashed his firepower on the 28th he was already in damage limitation mode. The statement issued by the CBI on the 28th says as much. However, Hester's arrival in Dublin a couple of days later shows the impact he had.

It will be very very interesting to see how this unfolds. As I said previously my money is on RBS/UB not being able to get this under control - it has gone on far too long for that to be a realistic possibility. One way or the other, they will not survive in the current form, and my guess is that the business will be broken up and the UB bit sold/transferred to BOI for them to run.

And I would once again respectfully sugest that to those with cash balances in UB that they move them to more accessible havens. Important to note that there is no real risk to deposits, the Irish Government's Deposit Guarantee Scheme together with the British Government's ownership of RBS/NatWest/UB will see to that. The reason to move them is to avoid any further "access" issues which may arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Hibernicis wrote: »
    I'd disagree on one count. Whatever about Kenny and Honohan - Elderfield will be vicious with them. He arrived on our shores to do two things; clean up the mess and ready himself for the really really big league. Apart altogether from the fact that he is a principled individual who believes that there is only one (RIGHT) way to do things, he is very ambitious and will be most intolerant of anyone who mucks up his reputation. No way will he allow the perpetrators of a mess on this scale on his watch to go unscathed. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, he was caught on the back foot when Mervin King fired a shot across the bows of RBS on Tuesday 26th. This left Ireland, UB and Elderfield looking like a sideshow. By the time Elderfield unleashed his firepower on the 28th he was already in damage limitation mode. The statement issued by the CBI on the 28th says as much. However, Hester's arrival in Dublin a couple of days later shows the impact he had.

Elderfield is a puppet and wont do a bloody thing apart from dish out a few soundbites.
    Will be very surprised if UB even get fined for this

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Some payments coming through here. Withdrew from online gaming site on 17th and 19th of June and they just appeared in my account.

Still waiting on more.

I also (stupidly) transferred the money direct from my UB account to my AIB account online.
    I'm now presuming this will join the backlog?

• Advertisement

Hibernicis wrote: »

It will be very very interesting to see how this unfolds. As I said previously my money is on RBS/UB not being able to get this under control - it has gone on far too long for that to be a realistic possibility. One way or the other, they will not survive in the current form, and my guess is that the business will be broken up and the UB bit sold/transferred to BOI for them to run.

And I would once again respectfully sugest that to those with cash balances in UB that they move them to more accessible havens. Important to note that there is no real risk to deposits, the Irish Government's Deposit Guarantee Scheme together with the British Government's ownership of RBS/NatWest/UB will see to that. The reason to move them is to avoid any further "access" issues which may arise.

are you really saying that UB will not survive in its current form, simply because it has a massive backlog to address?

surely worst case scenario would be that it would take an extended amoutn of time to clear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Todays Irish Times :
    "Ulster Bank disruption to last up to two weeks

Ulster Bank was yesterday processing transactions that should have gone through its system on Tuesday, June 26th, according to well-placed sources familiar with attempts to correct the technical problems.

It could be Monday, July 16th at the earliest before the backlog of transactions is cleared, said sources. The bank is still trying to determine the exact timing of when the problems would be fixed.

..The further delays have been attributed to the slow processing of daily transactions from last week that should in normal circumstances have taken between six and 12 hours to complete but are taking 24 hours due to technical problems."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0704/1224319343458.html

Talk of "Compensation" being bandied about in this article
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0704/1224319342529.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

chasm wrote: »
    Todays Irish Times :

Ulster Bank was yesterday processing transactions that should have gone through its system on Tuesday, June 26th, according to well-placed sources familiar with attempts to correct the technical problems.

It could be Monday, July 16th at the earliest before the backlog of transactions is cleared, said sources. The bank is still trying to determine the exact timing of when the problems would be fixed.

..The further delays have been attributed to the slow processing of daily transactions from last week that should in normal circumstances have taken between six and 12 hours to complete but are taking 24 hours due to technical problems."

If this is true and its taking this long, im taking my business away from UB

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭notuslimited

One cheque payment gone through dated 26 June but still no sign of anything else. Wages still missing since 21 June, two other non salary payments from last 10 days missing and I don't hold out much hope for wages payment due tomorrow. Ulsterbank are a fu€king crock of $hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Betty Swallox

chasm wrote: »
    Todays Irish Times :

I can't say I'm not surprised. They probably need to double check and verify that all the data is running fine, in order to avoid any potential data loss/error.

By the time they've got to today's processing, it will be next week. They probably need a couple of weekends to help them catch up (as there isn't much running in bank systems over weekends).

Who'll get the compensation? The government or the account holders??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I can't say I'm not surprised. They probably need to double check and verify that all the data is running fine, in order to avoid any potential data loss/error.

By the time they've got to today's processing, it will be next week. They probably need a couple of weekends to help them catch up (as there isn't much running in bank systems over weekends).

Who'll get the compensation? The government or the account holders??

Im confused as to the compensation on offer,

I dont really care about bank charges as i meet the criteria for free banking.

I want to be guaranteed that my loan application would go through or something that i can genuinely use in my life. Bank charges are just a cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Internet banking down again!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭millymoo

Me too...'service unavailable. God I feel I wanna get me savings & run...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As a non UB customer I feel your pain

Because my employer banks with UB the pay I was meant have had on the 25th has still not arrived.

I have now paid 2 sets of mortgage and all my bills out of May's pay pkt

This is truly unreal , the media seem to have forgotten about this , and I HATE the way they keep saying it's 100,000 UB customers , its MANY MANY MANY more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 trustcited

1966 wrote: »

After this happened yesterday, things started moving....

Said optimistically..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

1966 wrote: »

Still down....

Ref compensation - did I see that someone was suggesting that UB should give free credit history checks once this debacle is dealt with(!)

This would make sense considering UB has potentially negatively affected 10s of thousands customers credit history....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

After an "improving service" I now have no access to ulster bank anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Aw... Finally got paid yesterday - 5 days late - now the Ulster Bank app is telling me that 'service currently unavailable'.
    Gah.
    Is my money there, or isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

gozunda wrote: »
    Still down....

Ref compensation - did I see that someone was suggesting that UB should give free credit history checks once this debacle is dealt with(!)

This would make sense considering UB has potentially negatively affected 10s of thousands customers credit history....

re: compensation - a free credit check couldnt be considered compensation, i would say that they would have been liable to cover the cost of one at this stage anyway. given that i like many other customers have no clue if DD or SO payments have been honoured,

I just hope there isnt a mess when it comes to sorting out all the cash they handed out over the counter. I mean i sent my wife in to two her two last weeks wages with her payslip. then yesterday evening a credit showed to her account for the 25th June.

There wouldnt be a thing in the world stopping us going to atm and withdrawing that money again. But the thing that stops me is i am keeping a running balance spreadsheet as such. I just wonder if others are or will people end up in overdraft land when Ulsterbank is finally sorted because account holders got sums wrong or worse got desperate

ps. i also dont really believe Ulsterbanks info page with its rehashing of non update info. just not good enough.

neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

its obvious they have us paddys accounts running on a 1980 commadore PET somewhere in a barn surrounded by flys and old horses.

disgusting way to run a business.

i suggest everyone affected make a complaint so it is on your account record - whether you are staying or going in the future .

if they do compensate then you may need to show you contacted them for issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It was on their website that they would...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

MugMugs wrote: »

It was on their website that they would...
    Credit history only costs €6 on the ICB website... Hardly justified as compensation if this is what they chose to do!
    I'm moving to another bank on Friday. Also agree that everyone effected should write in a complaint to have it on their accounts for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I agree. I also think there's something more sinister going on with the bank. I don't understand how the could mess up this much!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement