Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Actually, there has been quite a lot of information. It's not necessarily what people want to hear, but that's a completely different debate.

[And I'm fully aware that there is no information they could provide which will satisfy every single person affected]
    Most of the information we have received is unbelievable. For example, I see today that they're claiming "significant resources have been shifted from within the Group to Ulster Bank". This has to be garbage. If the gargantuan resources of RBS were focused on Ulster in the way they were focused on RBS and NatWest in the last couple of weeks, this problem would be solved in a few hours. But there's no way they'll put out a few burgers in London or Edinburgh to help out the Micks as long as the headlines on Fleet Street focus on Bob Diamond rather than Stephen Hester

rozeboosje wrote: »
    "We expect that next week (commencing 9 July) will be the final week of any significant delays for Ulster Bank customers. There will be gradual, but significant and noticeable improvements throughout the remainder of this week and next. "

What the [bleep]ing [bleep] bleepety-bleep bleep bleep? It's going to be another [bleep]ing week before they finally and definitively sort this [bleep]ing mess out!? And they expect us to [bleep]ing BELIEVE them this time? I'll believe it when I [bleep]ing see it.

"We know this continued disruption is unacceptable"

The word "unacceptable" doesn't even BEGIN to cover it. It was "unacceptable" two weeks ago. NOW.... there are no words.

It's stuff like this that push people over the edge. They clearly don't know what 'unacceptable' means because we're having to accept it. 'Unforgiveable' would be more accurate. Other examples of Newspeak include 'personal apology' and 'multiple priorities'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

> 'Unforgiveable' would be more accurate.

ER... ok. Fair nuff XD

With regard to "personal apology", perhaps a public flogging would help assuage the mood.

> 'Unforgiveable' would be more accurate.

ER... ok. Fair nuff XD
    Not having a go at you, dude. I'm sick of the carefully crafted non-apologies

• Advertisement

I hear ya

With regard to "personal apology", perhaps a public flogging would help assuage the mood.
    Now we're talking. A bit extreme, perhaps, but this looks appropriate:

medieval_stocks.jpg

deiseach wrote: »
    Now we're talking. A bit extreme, perhaps, but this looks appropriate:

medieval_stocks.jpg

Great. I'll bring the rotten veg. With the weather we've had of late there are plenty of THOSE around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

"We expect that next week (commencing 9 July) will be the final week of any significant delays for Ulster Bank customers. There will be gradual, but significant and noticeable improvements throughout the remainder of this week and next. "

What the [bleep]ing [bleep] bleepety-bleep bleep bleep? It's going to be another [bleep]ing week before they finally and definitively sort this [bleep]ing mess out!? And they expect us to [bleep]ing BELIEVE them this time? I'll believe it when I [bleep]ing see it.

"We know this continued disruption is unacceptable"

The word "unacceptable" doesn't even BEGIN to cover it. It was "unacceptable" two weeks ago. NOW.... there are no words.

... and they were correct with their first four estimates of when it'd be fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Eblana12

I have been very patient up until now but I have now decided that I am not going to increase the backlog any further!! From now on the only transactions I will be carrying out are withdrawals when I need to. No more lodgements etc. they will be going into a savings account I have elsewhere - I might as well be getting the interest on them while UB sort the mess out. Unfortunately I can't move as I have loans etc. with UB but I will certainly not be putting all my eggs in one basket going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

"correct" "estimate"

One negates the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

BuffyBot wrote: »
    "correct" "estimate"

One negates the other.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It's scary the amount if people that don't know how much money they really have.

I know how much was in my account before this mess, I know how much I have spent, I know how much has been credited, and I know what dd's and such I have.

Whilst your account may not currently reflect it, it only takes a simple spreadsheet or piece of paper and a pen to work out what you really have.

Obviously this doesn't help with knowing whether or not direct debits are being paid. But people who say they don't know what they can spend cos the don't know what they have, just need to do some simple math.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lislaw

I've had enough. I've requested my next payment from my employer goes to my husbands account in another bank. It's not due for another week or so but I'm not taking the risk

That doesn't help with the current situation, but I'm pretty sure I've done my sums right and I've enough in there to cover payments/dds etc until the 20th when the mortgage comes due again. If it's not sorted by then I'll make alternative arrangements.

I am just so glad I didn't trust them to sort this out quickly. I took all my money out before last weekend, just to be on the safe side even though my account didn't seem to be affected by the problems. That was until yesterday when I logged in to find it all fcked up with missing credits all over the place - interestingly enough though all the debits were in place. Since then its been up, down and all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

Just talking to a UB cashier wondering why my and my wifes salary and child benefit had not gone in,she told me they were now 'up dating' and had reached 25th june!!!! sO IF YOU WERE DUE MONEY ON THE 25TH IT WOULD SHOW UP TODAY,DUE THE 26TH WILL SHOW UP TOMORO AND SO ON!!!! The frontline staff should not have to put up with such crap from their seniors! They deserve better.

It's scary the amount if people that don't know how much money they really have.

I know how much was in my account before this mess, I know how much I have spent, I know how much has been credited, and I know what dd's and such I have.

Whilst your account may not currently reflect it, it only takes a simple spreadsheet or piece of paper and a pen to work out what you really have.

Obviously this doesn't help with knowing whether or not direct debits are being paid. But people who say they don't know what they can spend cos the don't know what they have, just need to do some simple math.
    I'm not worried I'll spend money I don't have. I'm worried the bank will claim I have and I have no way of proving otherwise. No doubt the bank will be 'sympathetic', but some people are going to face months of aggro ahead. And no-one knows who those people are going to be.

The frontline staff should not have to put up with such crap from their seniors! They deserve better.
    I was watching Philip Hampton saying how everyone was working towards resolving this issue. I'd love to know what the suits like Jim Brown are doing. Seriously. If they're not manually entering payments themselves with the peons in the front line, they're not doing anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

My local branch clearly has not got far inputting the manual transactions, lodgement made 20th still now showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Eblana12

I'm not worried I'll spend money I don't have. I'm worried the bank will claim I have and I have no way of proving otherwise. No doubt the bank will be 'sympathetic', but some people are going to face months of aggro ahead. And no-one knows who those people are going to be.

I agree with you, I have no idea how I am going to prove that the duplicate payment on my account didn't happen because the original was actually 3 separate transactions and the duplicate one is a single transaction for the total amount of the three individual ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lislaw

I was watching Philip Hampton saying how everyone was working towards resolving this issue. I'd love to know what the suits like Jim Brown are doing. Seriously. If they're not manually entering payments themselves with the peons in the front line, they're not doing anything at all

Well Said!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Eblana12 wrote: »

I agree with you, I have no idea how I am going to prove that the duplicate payment on my account didn't happen because the original was actually 3 separate transactions and the duplicate one is a single transaction for the total amount of the three individual ones.
    Each tx spent on a card has an authorisation number, if its a duplicate it should be just a case of looking at the auth code of.the 2 transactions and see if they match

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yoganmahew

swampy353 wrote: »
    Each tx spent on a card has an authorisation number, if its a duplicate it should be just a case of looking at the auth code of.the 2 transactions and see if they match
    The authorisation is a randomly generated string of gibberish. It is possible that two distinct transactions have the same authorisation code. It is less likely if all the other details of the transaction match...

swampy353 wrote: »
    But so many of the transactions are completely manual. For example, my wife has had to go into the bank twice to withdraw money. This has basically amounted to a pair of IOU's based on her pay slip. There are going to be hundreds of thousands of these which are piling up somewhere and will need to be reconciled with the account on the computer system. Most of them will be done right, but a handful are bound to be screwed up and for those people . . . welcome to Hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

all my missing wages went into my account to day. I kept a note of any time i used my card and this also seems to be correct on my account. I made two visits to the bank and withdrawn cash. These are the only 2 transactions missing from my account. So I think once these show up im back to normal.

I have opened a new current account in another bank and my wages are going into this so hopefully this is the end of it for me.

I haven't decided whether or not im going to leave ulster bank. Prior to this i never had any problems and even during this ordeal I found the front line staff extremely helpful. Whilst queueing in the bank I saw a number of morons taking there frustration out on the girl behind the counter and getting abusive towards staff, as if they had a hand in this mess.

Im going to wait and see what happens. Depsite paying fees for a second current account I might just keep it open anyway in case this ever happens again with either account and I can quickly get hr to change my payroll details to the working account.

There should be some compensation for customers of ub and not just free fees. If ub doesnt offer something to its affected customers people will be changing over to other banks. They should probably compensate there frontline staff in the banks and call centres also for the stress they have caused them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I tried to order something online and Paypal said my Visa debit card bounced, not impressed, easily should have enough to cover the purchase. Thats one online retailer not getting my business today.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I'm wondering if I should start kicking up a stink, writing letters and giving out to the staff to keep me in with a good shot of getting some of this compensation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

I put cash in (naively) on the 23rd of June. My standing orders were deducted on their usual dates.
    Realised the next few SO's will bounce, (This Thursday & the following Monday) so I went online yesterday to stop them, only to find the message that it's too close to the date to stop them. The date I'm too close to is June 26th...??

I have my holiday savings to get out before the end of the month and then decide which is the better 1980's option of bringing money abroad - travelers checks or a wad of cash :rolleyes:

I used my card once since this debarkle started and kept the shop receipt to make my accounting easier when this settles down. Notice I said settle down rather that finished as it's going to take months for us to be confident that there aren't any extra withdrawls we didn't make.

If Ulster Bank report any more 'technical issues' over the next 6 months, I can see a run on the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I cannot access online but can access the APP. The last time I couldn't access online was because they were meddling with my account.

However, contradictory to what i say previously, I decided to leave the UB for BOI when I heard the 16th. I cannot trust any deadline they are setting themselves.

I told the girl in the branch I would like XX amount and when you figure out my account in more details I will either pay you what I owe you or take what you owe me. :rolleyes: I have only two transactions since the "incident" of €70 ATM and a €300 I.O.U in a branch in Galway so should be straight forward enough.

Girl in BOI said "To avoid bank charges EASY PEASY. If you owe €300 on your credit card, just make a transfer of €292 and then 8 transfers of €1 and boom you have just made your 9 transactions to make it free.(So long as you lodge at least €3,000)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Still no wages today. Employer UB due to be paid on June 22nd nothing at all. Heard this could be another 2 weeks....and another tidbit Price Waterhouse Coopers got priority for their wages with UB, is this true? :confused:

• Advertisement

Sala wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I should start kicking up a stink, writing letters and giving out to the staff to keep me in with a good shot of getting some of this compensation :D
    If anyone doesn't have an Ulster Bank account, open one ASAP. By the time they get around to 'compensation' they won't have noticed you weren't affected. Free money!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement