Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Pockey wrote: »
    He declined to say exactly what the compensation would involve, but it would be based around fees, charges and interest charges.

Aww no iPads for us then :P

Anyone know if I can phone them up and request overdraft over the phone or will I have to go into my local branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lislaw

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    OK wow.. i thought i was after weathering the storm there. Can i ask what exactly happened?

I have transferred what i need to go elsewhere anyway at the moment.. but definitely not flush enough with cash that i can afford this stuff to happen to me again!

Right, well as I say my account was fine - wages went in, dd's came out no probs, bar one to Meteor, but I contacted them and they were fine. I remember thinking to myself that I was getting of lightly, so many other people seemed to be really badly affected.

I took out some money on the Friday when this kicked off first - as a just in case measure - because the whole thing seemed so bizarre. I had visions of a run on the Friday or else waking up Monday morning to be told that UB had collapsed.

The following week, again everything fine. My wages came in and because this was continuing I decided not to take any chances and took out all the cash that I knew wouldn't be need to cover payments. Then on the Friday I took everything out - more or less for the same reasons as above and because the situation seemed to be getting worse instead of better.

Monday morning I did a quick tot using the online service of how much would be needed within the next week or so and I got my hubbie to relodge it to cover the upcoming payments - he did a fastlodge in my branch as the queue was out the door.

Then on Tuesday I logged in to see if the childrens allowance was there (didn't really expect it to be) and to see if the lodgement had gone through. Not only were neither of them there - but neither was anything else since before the 20th!!

Oh sorry - that's not actually true - MOST transactions were missing - my wages and some small debits - but all the big debits were there - withdrawals, payments etc.

Since then everythings been all over the place - I've given up at this stage - apparently today I'm overdrawn, even though when I tot up what's on the online statement I've well over €1000 left - but that's not even a true reflection because not everything is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'll be looking for a free upgrade to their ufirstgold account for a year.. but then again they wont give that to everyone so...

I thought of it first. K?

Off to the branch I go with my payslip and drivers licence.. and a toddler.. and a buggy.. and a bag of nappies, sudocreme, rusks, valium for me, and I need to get petrol on the way home.

UB you owe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

lislaw wrote: »
    Right, well as I say my account was fine - wages went in, dd's came out no probs, bar one to Meteor, but I contacted them and they were fine. I remember thinking to myself that I was getting of lightly, so many other people seemed to be really badly affected.

I took out some money on the Friday when this kicked off first - as a just in case measure - because the whole thing seemed so bizarre. I had visions of a run on the Friday or else waking up Monday morning to be told that UB had collapsed.

The following week, again everything fine. My wages came in and because this was continuing I decided not to take any chances and took out all the cash that I knew wouldn't be need to cover payments. Then on the Friday I took everything out - more or less for the same reasons as above and because the situation seemed to be getting worse instead of better.

Monday morning I did a quick tot using the online service of how much would be needed within the next week or so and I got my hubbie to relodge it to cover the upcoming payments - he did a fastlodge in my branch as the queue was out the door.

Then on Tuesday I logged in to see if the childrens allowance was there (didn't really expect it to be) and to see if the lodgement had gone through. Not only were neither of them there - but neither was anything else since before the 20th!!

Oh sorry - that's not actually true - MOST transactions were missing - my wages and some small debits - but all the big debits were there - withdrawals, payments etc.

Since then everythings been all over the place - I've given up at this stage - apparently today I'm overdrawn, even though when I tot up what's on the online statement I've well over €1000 left - but that's not even a true reflection because not everything is there.

Wow.. sorry to hear that. I feel the same as you. Like i am getting off lightly. am actually going to do just that so. Il transfer out to accounts in other banks and take the rest from the ATMs.

Appreciate the heads up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Just called and asked for my standing orders to be cancelled and said it couldn't be done because of the backlog :rolleyes:

They'll have to deal with it when there's not enough money to go out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Just called and asked for my standing orders to be cancelled and said it couldn't be done because of the backlog :rolleyes:

They'll have to deal with it when there's not enough money to go out.

I honestly believe thats the last of their problems....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I honestly believe thats the last of their problems....:D

:D Ha, I know, just an annoyance more than anything else, much bigger fish to fry, but the amount of disruption is just ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I swear I just heard on the radio that people in the UK are getting 100 sterling in compensation.

Surely that can't be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From RTE News today....

"Mr Sullivan said the system breakdown could only be addressed at Ulster Bank once issues had been resolved at RBS and NatWest first.
    "Because of that Ulster Bank went past a single day, and then various days became involved in the overall process which caused a corruption of data.

"All of that data had to be manually corrected, and as this was happening, and it took a number of days, transactions were just building up," he added."
    No I don't get it - why did UB have wait until RBS & Natwest were fixed?

What are we the third rate cousins or something ...nice about the corrupted data - will they ever get all the transactions details back I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I'm not moving - tracker and the preferential rate on my personal loan due to UFirst account are very valuable to me.

• Advertisement

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    I'm not moving - tracker and the preferential rate on my personal loan due to UFirst account are very valuable to me.

I've no reason to stay - mortgage not with them, credit card is defunct, no personal loan - other than the free banking and once that's gone so am I!! At that stage I'm going back to getting my wages in,leaving enough for the mortgage and paying everything else through the post office.

I lost whatever little trust I had in the banks after the whole bailout fiasco and this just reconfirms that position. Gonna have as little to do with them as possible. Banco del Matresso, as I think someone else already said...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He said details of compensation to be offered, in addition to covering any out-of-pocket costs incurred by customers, would be decided by the bank before the weekend.

He declined to say exactly what the compensation would involve, but it would be based around fees, charges and interest charges.

i don't think so lad
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0705/breaking2.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Fergality

Reading some of the other threads is getting me depressed. It seems like whichever bank we each choose to change to after this, we'll all still be treated like sh*t at some stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PaulC86

A week in, still no salary! Also account balance is all over the place and I know it will be overdrawn but I can't put money in in time. To add fuel to my increasingly large fire they have doubled a cash withdrawal from my account which I now have to lodge a ATM dispute about. But the branch fobs me off while the guy on the phone tells me to go and lodge it at the branch. I'M AT WITS END!!! This is a huge mess for me. I don't know where I stand or what I can do. I hugely regret only having one bank account and trusting them with my money. It has gone far far beyond a joke now! No compensation can make me forget this mess!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    They'd love you to move that since they're making money on it.

Personally, I'll be leaving my mortgage and u-first (preferential rate) there but removing all my savings and any "profitable" banking from them.

I wouldn't normally be one to call for a run on a bank but in this instance I think that the public need to show Ulster Bank and all the banks that the public won't stand for this kind of incompetence.

I wouldn't normally be one to call for a run on a bank but in this instance I think that the public need to show Ulster Bank and all the banks that the public won't stand for this kind of incompetence.

I'm very surprised at how trusting everyone's being, to be honest. We all know banks/bankers have lied through their teeth in order to save themselves and cover their own asses, and the fragile state of the banks at the moment.

I would have thought people would be more easily spooked than they appear to have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have been away for a few days , just checked my account, a good few cheques have been processed but none of the lodgements i should have have been made yet to my account, anyone else similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Aquila wrote: »
    Whats PTSB like compared to the other banks?

They're all much of a muchness, except that PTSB has better opening hours, if that's a factor.

PTSB, BOI and AIB all have decent internet banking and mobile options these days.

AIB just seems to have higher fees and no Visa Debit until Sept.
    BOI and PTSB both have similar services to Ulster Bank i.e. Visa Debit etc.

AIB and BOI definitely have superior mobile banking to PTSB at the moment though through their smartphone apps. Although, PTSB has text alerts for spends and stuff.

They're all rather similar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darth Floodric

Two of my wage payments have gone through.I'm still waiting on 2 checks that I've lodged :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

Nothing is changing in out bank a/c. My husbands wages from two weeks havent shown, there due in again tomorrow and u doubt we will see them for a while either.:mad:

Were really trying no to take money out as we know there will eb some feck up along the line.

I will surprised if they get everyone a/c's up to exact date and correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Aquila wrote: »
    Whats PTSB like compared to the other banks?

Definitely quick in opening an account - you get an account number straight away, there may be some delay in id verification, in my case it was few hours before i could log into the account.
    They also - like Ulster Bank, have a regular saver with 4% return. Unlike Ulster the limit is much higher - 50000(15000 for Ulster), and maximum monthly deposit is the same - 1000/month.
    No charges if you lodge 3000/quarter, make 18 transaction using Visa debit/quarter, and one online transaction/quarter...
    Few extras, one that i may use is emergency cash. If you forgot your card, or someone you know need money, you can request emergency cash where you/someone you know will receive unique code on mobile. You use this code(without card) in any PTSB atm, and get cash(100E). 2E charge makes it perfect for quick money transfer to someone you know.
    Also, you can put your own picture on a debit card - some selling point for younger customer i suppose...
    Very modern approach, if you ask me. And my local branch is much nicer, than Ulster's one.

As for account/bank itself- it will be probably as good/as bad, as any other bank.
    There are no banks out there that people don't have problem with. I choose PTSB because of quick opening process, and Visa debit. All i needed really. Did not need overdraft, or anything extra, so not sure how flexible they are regarding credit facilities/overdraft matching.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

So sorry to read all the hassle everyone with UB is having really hope they sort it soon.

I have my mortgage with UB but its paid from a BOI account, it usually goes out of my account on the 28th of the month to Ulster. It still hasn't left, has anyone with an UB mortgage had to pay? Just trying to make sure I leave enough in the BOI account to cover the mortgage when it comes. Also recently UB notified me that interest on the mortgage would be calculated daily, would this delay affect this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

pc7 wrote: »
    So sorry to read all the hassle everyone with UB is having really hope they sort it soon.

I have my mortgage with UB but its paid from a BOI account, it usually goes out of my account on the 28th of the month to Ulster. It still hasn't left, has anyone with an UB mortgage had to pay? Just trying to make sure I leave enough in the BOI account to cover the mortgage when it comes. Also recently UB notified me that interest on the mortgage would be calculated daily, would this delay affect this?

Ulster Bank didn't request money from your account, so it isn't your fault. They will probably take it at any later date (possibly they will leave original date due for interest calculaction) , when they sort their mess.
    Make sure you leave money in account to cover it, and don't worry.
    Many people reported Ulster stopped taking payments at this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm also an Ulster bank current account / credit card customer. I see today the ECB has reduced it's key interest rate from 1% to .75%. If ulster bank don't pass this reduction on I'll definitely leave them for an Irish bank. It's incredible how badly their Irish customers have been treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

GnatWest offered its affected customers 100 (pounds) compensation according to Newstalk today. No such munificence from Ulster Bank according to the Irish Times today:
    He [Jim Brown, CEO - D.] declined to say exactly what the compensation would involve, but it would be based around fees, charges and interest charges.

From: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0705/breaking2.html

So it seems, depressingly, that I was right in a previous post: any compensation will come out of future revenue rather than sticking their hands in their pockets. I can't fault the business logic of that and rationally, money saved (for us I mean) is money earned but...still....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Praetorian wrote: »
    I'm also an Ulster bank current account / credit card customer. I see today the ECB has reduced it's key interest rate from 1% to .75%. If ulster bank don't pass this reduction on I'll definitely leave them for an Irish bank. It's incredible how badly their Irish customers have been treated.

They probably can't calculate the new rate to pass it on :D Compound interest calculations are very difficult on an abacus !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Domhnall66 wrote: »
    GnatWest offered its affected customers 100 (pounds) compensation according to Newstalk today. No such munificence from Ulster Bank according to the Irish Times today:

From: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0705/breaking2.html

So it seems, depressingly, that I was right in a previous post: any compensation will come out of future revenue rather than sticking their hands in their pockets. I can't fault the business logic of that and rationally, money saved (for us I mean) is money earned but...still....:(

If they were to give natwest customers £100 compensation then they would have to give UB customers the equivalent in € plus extra - they have to prove to us UB customers that we were not pushed down the priority list and i think to give UB customers less would be the final insult for many as we have been the worst affected -UB admit that themselves

Solair wrote: »
    They probably can't calculate the new rate to pass it on :D Compound interest calculations are very difficult on an abacus !

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Lambo28 wrote: »
    Nothing is changing in out bank a/c. My husbands wages from two weeks havent shown, there due in again tomorrow and u doubt we will see them for a while either.:mad:

Were really trying no to take money out as we know there will eb some feck up along the line.

I will surprised if they get everyone a/c's up to exact date and correct.

Just a word of...solidarity I guess, but I'm in the same boat. Wages from 22nd of June not in my account.
    I've yet to pay my landlord.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement