Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

W86indow wrote: »
    I just check my account there there was no developments at 4pm today
    but i just check an hour ago and my s/o and direct debits were taken which im happy about so i dont have to ringing up other companys

Dont make any assumptions. I had a number os S/O show up on my UB C/A on Tuesday. As of now they have not appeared in the destination accounts. Normally they appear next day. So you might still want to make contact with the payees if its anything important.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

i now see that i have had 1500 worth of duplicate visa debit transactions withdrawn from my account in the last week! didn't keep a record of atm withdrawals and looks like there's a few of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Dont make any assumptions. I had a number os S/O show up on my UB C/A on Tuesday. As of now they have not appeared in the destination accounts. Normally they appear next day. So you might still want to make contact with the payees if its anything important.

Good point, i must do that with my Credit Union tomorrow, the payments appeared a week later than due (dated for the correct days though) and i just took it as given that they were received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

I watched most of the committee proceedings this afternoon and I'm slightly worried by what I saw, but maybe that's my interpretation. I found Brown to be a typical banking CEO; a strident company man who has little understanding of what is happening immediately below him. Ryan seemed to be a sycophant dragged in off the street for the day. But Chris Sullivan worried me, he looked very stressed - nearly emotional? Maybe there is more going on that we need to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Lodged funds on the 25/06/2012. 1 cheque and some cash, still not showing. The childrens allowance I am assuming is suspended as they are over 16 and on their holidays, not impressed at all.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

oh yes , you are correct the s/o has gone out of my account

but not into my other account but that happen last week aswell it shud appear in a day or so

hope your all keeping a written record of your details

DoneDL wrote: »
    Lodged funds on the 25/06/2012. 1 cheque and some cash, still not showing. The childrens allowance I am assuming is suspended as they are over 16 and on their holidays, not impressed at all.:mad:

Childrens allowance probably hasnt been processed yet, if your child is still at school it might not have been suspended (You still get paid childrens allowance during school holidays unless child has left the education system). If your child only just turned 16 there seems to be form filling involved, Here's some info:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

I watched most of the committee proceedings this afternoon and I'm slightly worried by what I saw, but maybe that's my interpretation. I found Brown to be a typical banking CEO; a strident company man who has little understanding of what is happening immediately below him. Ryan seemed to be a sycophant dragged in off the street for the day. But Chris Sullivan worried me, he looked very stressed - nearly emotional? Maybe there is more going on that we need to know?

I just wanted to say that was my own feeling also, but we could be speculating here until the cows come home , simply put, we don't have many options except to wait until it comes out in the wash (well, and make personal choices as to what to do with the funds we do have access to, whether to switch our accounts, whether to formally complain etc. etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

My account has erroneously gone to zero. Also just before that two transactions, both Visa Debit, from last week were taken out. Both of these are duplicated... :rolleyes: They need to sort this out quickly so I can withdraw the lot and move bank.

Irish times has a new article up in which they explain quite well what was supposedly the issue(well for a non-techie like me!), except for the part which i have put in bold, which i do not understand - why was it run in parallel?

"The scheduler puts about 250,000 processes in place that have to take place over any particular night and puts them in order so they can run effectively over a period of six to 12 hours.

If those processes are not in the right sequence, then the daily batch of transactions cannot be processed overnight as planned and the direct debits, standing orders and scheduled payments to and from customer accounts cannot be completed.

On June 19th, an outside service provider ran what is known as a “patch” on the scheduler to ensure that the software was running at the correct speed so that this particular problem was resolved.

However, the processing centre subsequently tried to run the scheduled batch of transactions for June 20th in parallel with the batch of June 19th and the system collapsed, corrupting the data.

This appears to have created a problem back within the scheduler, whose memory can say where it is in the 250,000 processes to be completed. The problem was exacerbated to a catastrophic level when that memory was emptied.

This meant that IT workers had to trace back to find out which processes had been completed.

“This took days and so you then had a back up of days and days of transactions and you have to put them through in order,” said RBS senior executive Chris Sullivan."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0706/1224319495783.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

chasm wrote: »
    However, the processing centre subsequently tried to run the scheduled batch of transactions for June 20th in parallel with the batch of June 19th and the system collapsed, corrupting the data.

In IT terms, a strict interpretation of this would mean that they attempted to run the two days processing side by side at exactly the same time.

To me, this makes almost no sense whatsoever.

There are a number of other phrases in that article tha make it sound like a non IT literate journo interpreting for the masses a statement by an non IT literate business person.

Or maybe it is a true reflection of how the RBS runs its IT function, which would explain a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Can't access online banking. Got the same last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Can't access online banking. Got the same last night.

It is like that every night from 2am, will resume after 3.
    It was like that before "The Glitch" so nothing to worry about...

Hibernicis wrote: »
    In IT terms, a strict interpretation of this would mean that they attempted to run the two days processing side by side at exactly the same time.

To me, this makes almost no sense whatsoever.

There are a number of other phrases in that article tha make it sound like a non IT literate journo interpreting for the masses a statement by an non IT literate business person.

Or maybe it is a true reflection of how the RBS runs its IT function, which would explain a lot.

Yeah i understood what they meant by it, i just can't understand why they ran them in parallel, there was no mention before that that they ran them like that previously, so as you say it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

wonski wrote: »
    It is like that every night from 2am, will resume after 3.
    It was like that before "The Glitch" so nothing to worry about...

So, to quote meself - nothing changed!!!
    No money in, another day to wait.
    I don't think i will get paid before next week, can't believe in them transfering the money to my account over the weekend.
    16/07 sounds about right...
    I have had some doubts, but next month wages go to ptsb, good bye Ulster Bank.
    Mistakes happen, but this one is to be considered a suicide*

Had to check spelling before posted the message - never used suicide on public forum before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Checked my account now-

Direct debit from 2nd of July has been debited.....hopefully will get to its intended destination sometime this summer

Still no sign of my salary from 28th June

Unable to pay my Ulster Credit Card bill online.....keep getting the message service not available though someone mentioned earlier on this thread that they were able to pay the credit card bill online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

same here, cant pay cc on-line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

cant access my ub business account on line, error keeps coming up:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

chasm wrote: »
    Yeah i understood what they meant by it, i just can't understand why they ran them in parallel, there was no mention before that that they ran them like that previously, so as you say it makes no sense.

I watched most of the meeting and don't remember when saying that, and it was never reported on The Register etc. In any event mainframes run processes in parallel, it is what they do! Running two days batches at the same time should just result in some accounts being debited before they are credited etc. not the end of the world...

At the end of the day the whole mess comes down to them having no (working) backup. The last time a backup was tested was almost a year ago.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

My account is up to date as far as july 2nd, no wages or 3 DDs for the 5th july yet. Was able to pay off credit card yesterday after days of trying, i think you can get lucky with the app and anytime banking, they are both working for me at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 tartanarmy

Is anyone still waiting on a salary payment due from 21/06. Still haven't received mine yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Over last couple of days my account appear to be getting there. I appeared to have been paid for the last 2 weeks but the tranactions were not showing up but the balance confirmed that I had, now this morning the transactions are showing up but for different dates, I have less money this morning than I did last night!! and to top it off I have not been paid again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Are international transfers going through or being added to the backlog? I need to send quite a bit of money to someone in the UK this coming week..not sure if I should chance it with UB or go looking for the details of my old BOI account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

booth70 wrote: »
    Checked my account now-

Direct debit from 2nd of July has been debited.....hopefully will get to its intended destination sometime this summer

Unable to pay my Ulster Credit Card bill online.....keep getting the message service not available though someone mentioned earlier on this thread that they were able to pay the credit card bill online

Yep no sign of my salary from the same date either, I'm with BOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Commercial banking has come back online in the last few minutes.

I have noticed online access seems to drop several times a day. This is when they update the accounts. They normally do it overnight when people are asleep, but whats happening now is they are "flushing out the data" several times a day as they catch up.

My EFT transactions are coming through now at a rate of 4 days at once, one after another.

Its the manual - over the counter transactions, that are still pending. Of course, this is how I lodge, so while my account is showing empty, but they are really sitting on 5 figures!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

People ,

I just got paid ( non UB customer , Employer is UB customer ). Was due 25th June , just arrived this morning

Good luck to everyone else .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Right so still no sign of my pay from the 22nd or a lodgement made into my account, they have made sure they took the few the debits though. Not only have they done that but they have gone in & taken their loan repayment due not to another company, that I could understand, but no no no the one due to them & this whole mess is their fault. Any last little bit of money I had in my current account going away gone causing my account to be overdrawn. AND I specifically asked for no overdraft when I opened my account, after being offered one several times when I thankfully never needed it, but they have gone ahead & overdrawn it anyway for their own debit. I'm going to the UK tonight, which I owe ppl money for anyway because of this BS and now they take what I had left & more.

To say I'm fuming is an understatement.

:mad::mad::mad:

Then I read this...

Ok, ok I will waive my bonus – Ulster Bank chief caves in to pressure

TBH I don't give a flying FCK if you waive your bonus I just want my monthly pay, stop worrying about that & sort out your customers.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I seem to be more up to date this morning. DD from the 29th has gone and my statements are back.

However still no wages from the 4th and my Standing Orders are still showing default amounts that I gave when I set up the accounts but I'm not going to bother re-doing them seeing as next time they'll be coming from my new bank account with another bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

booth70 wrote: »
    Checked my account now-

I had to pay my cc in the bank itself. The girl behind the counter said it won't be in by the 11th when its due. I asked if i would be charged late fees and she just said in a bored voice "yes". I am getting sick of it now no standing orders taken, no childrens allowance and staff who think we are an inconvienience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

My wages have came in overnight.They were due on the 2nd July.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement