Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

johnc12 wrote: »
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    What date were you due to be paid?

I was last due to be paid on the 27th, next payment is due on wednesday

Oh that's good . I'm glad to hear of at least one person getting wages into their account . Gives me some hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I was/am due the same days, but nothing in my account. Hopefully yours is indicative of something moving though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

genuinely happy for you! :D

but im puzzled as to why UB arent processing transactions chronologically??

many posters here are still waiting on payments from the week before your credit, yet you have been paid first.

UB seem to be doing things arseways!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So that basically calls bull**** on their backlog, people still waiting to be paid since the 21st and you manage to get paid from the 27th...... Something is not right here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Enough is enough! People need to become aware of the Financial Protection Code which specifically states that;

"A credit institution must ensure that any funds lodged by a consumer to its account directly or via a deposit agent, are credited to that account on that day" (Pg22).

And they are also required to "maintain up to date consumer records" (Pg 18).

I don't know about you guys but I've given them enough time to lodge my payments, and maintain up to date records on my account....so I am starting the ball rolling and lodging a formal complaint to head office :p.

Anybody want to follow suit?

http://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/processes/consumer-protection-code/Documents/Consumer%20Protection%20Code.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

many posters here are still waiting on payments from the week before your credit, yet you have been paid first.

I'd say its the munual data entry people who were hired to start today.

The jobs were highlighted on this thread (part 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

Newstalk discussion on the Sean Moncrief show on UB right now this second (13:33)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnc12

I dont know what they are doing. I just noticed that one of my direct debits isnt showing up, but it has been removed from my balance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mathie wrote: »

Well that would have nothing to do with the manual data entry people as they will only input manual transactions from people walking into the branches, i believe the person above was paid electronically?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JABS

The branches still cant input any of the manual transactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Well that would have nothing to do with the manual data entry people as they will only input manual transactions from people walking into the branches, i believe the person above was paid electronically?

Looks to me like they may be dumping all the electronic transactions into legible format and taking on hoardes of data entry staff, temporarily, to manually key them in. Its the only "logical" (sic) conclusion to come to as to why the electronic payments are not going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkhouser

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Text from the RBS website, link in post above

I don't understand a lot about their statement. Presuming there was a single point of failure in the batch processing timeline and the batches are done by bank or in order of bank, surely the problem is with one bank and not three and a few hours investigation could have established that? The original batch file would have existed, if the batch processing log didn't, you can still inspect the original batch and work out very quickly where the point of failure lay.

Also, Ulster Bank are number three in the nightly batches, fair enough but 14 nights later and presumably 14 nights batches later, how can all Ulster Bank transactions still be at the back of the queue to be processed? Did they wait for X number of days, build a huge batch file, separate it by bank and start processing only then? What were they doing in the meantime? Why can't they inject some level of chronological order into the backlog processing system? If Ulster Bank still cannot say when the issues will be resolved, does that mean Ulster Bank batches still being put to the back of the queue all the time while UK customers batches are being processed on schedule? At what point WILL Ulster Bank batches be given priority over UK customers? If it's not possible to do that will the problem ever be resolved?

I accept there may be complexities I'm not aware of but their explanation as given doesn't sound plausible at all. I still call bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

myself and the mrs were due electronic payment last wednesday,still nothing showing up in our account,one is from the HSE,I think they use UB to transfer wages but my wifes a/c is with UB which should mean an easy transfer......it seems to me that UB are trying to please everyone else except their own a/c holders.Is it true that this problem was sorted out in the UK in a couple of days yet we are going into week three!!!! Don't expect the childrens allowance to come through tomorrow either.

eigrod wrote: »
    Looks to me like they may be dumping all the electronic transactions into legible format and taking on hoardes of data entry staff, temporarily, to manually key them in. Its the only "logical" (sic) conclusion to come to as to why the electronic payments are not going on.

But even if that were so they should be working on the 20th/21st before they go any further along the dates.

As one poster rightly says, all UB batches are now been left behind the UK branches and I cant see how they are to catch up with all this mess even with the new recruits. I can see this spill over into August at least and by then there is no hope for a lot of people. I cant pay rent/bills and people will only wait so long before getting annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

mabye its a case that theyre starting with the top of the pile, rather than the first lodgments due which are at the bottom

which would be moronic

myself and the mrs were due electronic payment last wednesday,still nothing showing up in our account,one is from the HSE,I think they use UB to transfer wages but my wifes a/c is with UB which should mean an easy transfer......it seems to me that UB are trying to please everyone else except their own a/c holders.Is it true that this problem was sorted out in the UK in a couple of days yet we are going into week three!!!! Don't expect the childrens allowance to come through tomorrow either.

Actually, I would imagine that SW payments might get priority over peoples wages just to keep the government off their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just back from an Ulster Bank branch where I was assured that any cheques presented for payment from my account would be honoured, regardless of the balance in my account. Ulster Bank's reaction to this seems to be to give everyone a carte blanche in terms of unrestricted spending.

Someone (Ulster Bank, aka RBS, aka UK Taxpayer) is going to lose a lot of money on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JABS

Peckham wrote: »
    Just back from an Ulster Bank branch where I was assured that any cheques presented for payment from my account would be honoured, regardless of the balance in my account. Ulster Bank's reaction to this seems to be to give everyone a carte blanche in terms of unrestricted spending.

Someone (Ulster Bank, aka RBS, aka UK Taxpayer) is going to lose a lot of money on this.

Im a little concerned about that. I was told the same as yourself yet I have an unpaid cheque on my statement now. The bank say it should be cleared and reversed on the statement but im unsure at the moment untill I hear from the payee of the said cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

My account is showing a standing order from last monday (25/06) as now paid. Im due a payment in since last Wednesday so i suppose that will be a week in arrears too as will todays standing order that is due to go out today.
    I think RTE said the DoSP stated there was 42000 childrens allowance payments due to go to ulsterbank tomorrow:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So that basically calls bull**** on their backlog, people still waiting to be paid since the 21st and you manage to get paid from the 27th...... Something is not right here

We speculated about it a few times but it looks increasingly likely that the unthinkable is happening - manual data entry of the failed transactions. All 2 billion or so of them :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

unkel wrote: »
    We speculated about it a few times but it looks increasingly likely that the unthinkable is happening - manual data entry of the failed transactions. All 2 billion or so of them :eek:

sweet jesus.

all this because someone decided to update the batch processing software.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭themiso

I see comments on RBS.com page for 'RBS Group updates on technology issues affecting its Ulster Bank customers ' are being deleted. I guess they only expect comments such as : 'Keep up the good work'......

And link on ulster.ie : 'Read our latest statement on the issue.' takes you to 'Sorry, the page you are looking for cannot be found.'

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

chasm wrote: »
    My account is showing a standing order from last monday (25/06) as now paid. Im due a payment in since last Wednesday so i suppose that will be a week in arrears too as will todays standing order that is due to go out today.
    I think RTE said the DoSP stated there was 42000 childrens allowance payments due to go to ulsterbank tomorrow:eek:

48,000. Start queuing now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And why do banks still use batch processing anyway? That's very 60s. Why aren't all transactions processed real time?

I just paid my motor tax with my Ulster Bank Visa debit card and the transaction went through instantly - just checked on line now.

Or is it as the cynic in me says: all debits are real time, but the banks really like to hold onto the cosy credits themselves a few days (or weeks or months)...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

unkel wrote: »
    And why do banks still use batch processing anyway? That's very 60s. Why aren't all transactions processed real time?

I just paid my motor tax with my Ulster Bank Visa debit card and the transaction went through instantly - just checked on line now.

Or is it as the cynic in me says: all debits are real time, but the banks really like to hold onto the cosy credits themselves a few days (or weeks or months)...

But the motor tax office didn't get the money from you straight away - it will be credited to them later along with other payments...
    So it was only real-time transaction as it was authorized at the time payment was made....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭danois

If I was to apply the €12.70 per unpaid DD fee to all the Unpaid Wages and Unpaid SO Ulster Bank would owe me €76.20 by now:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but if this turns out to be down to the system being hacked and people haven't been warned that their accounts have in any way been compromised surely heads would have to roll.

Account details would all have to be changed over and secuity details would need to be changed because once the system is back up and running no information would be secure if that was the case, maybe I'm naive but I can't see UB letting that happen, that'd be a worse disaster than what has already occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Enough is enough! People need to become aware of the Financial Protection Code which specifically states that;

"A credit institution must ensure that any funds lodged by a consumer to its account directly or via a deposit agent, are credited to that account on that day" (Pg22).

And they are also required to "maintain up to date consumer records" (Pg 18).

I don't know about you guys but I've given them enough time to lodge my payments, and maintain up to date records on my account....so I am starting the ball rolling and lodging a formal complaint to head office :p.

Anybody want to follow suit?

http://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/processes/consumer-protection-code/Documents/Consumer%20Protection%20Code.pdf

I already wrote a formal complaint to the bank so we'll see what that gets. And I emailed the Central Bank this morning asking them what legal and punitive options, if any, are open to them and when would they start exercising those options.

I would also suggest that people start emailing business representative organisations to let them know how your lack of accessible funds is affecting their business. For example, my rent payment is delayed and while my landlord is okay with that (so far) I've emailed the landlord's association to remind them that their members could be affected. If you're holding off on booking a holiday, let the Irish Travel Agents Association know. If you're cutting back on day to day spending until you can be sure your balance is correct, let organisations like ISME know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My online banking has changed. All transaction bar one are for Monday the 25th. They were on different days a few hours ago and were actually transacted on different days. All bunched together on the 25th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

yoganmahew wrote: »
    If it has been hacked, it will be a first for z/OS. Doesn't make it impossible, makes it very unlikely, though. It is not just that the hacker community generally doesn't have z/OS skills, it is the physical security that is in place. You can't beam into a z/OS master console, it needs to be channel attached etc. On the other hand, once you are physically in place, you can do what you like...

Code 'bombs' left by made redundant employees are a different story...

Yeah I have heard that alright. Theres only one guy I know who knows anything about possible hacking scenarios and he says that significant insider contact would have had to have been in place for this to occur and he reckons its almost impossible but I'm just baffled at the length of time this is taking - its not natural in any scenario except maybe, hacking:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement