Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So the Euros, how do you rate it?

• 01-07-2012 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭

I think it was a very good tournament but lacked that something special to really elevate it to the greatest tournaments of all time.

What's your rating 125 votes

0% 0 votes
    0% 1 vote
    0% 1 vote
    0% 1 vote
    0% 1 vote
    1% 2 votes
    11% 14 votes
    32% 41 votes
    36% 45 votes
    15% 19 votes

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Group stage was very good. The KO rounds in the majority were quite average to poor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Fizzled out in the knockout games. Brilliant group games, made all the better with the fact that there were no 0-0 draws at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Better than the last two, not as good as 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was better than the 2010 World Cup but not as good as Euro 2008.

The top strikers didn't really make their mark. It was the midfielders that stole the headlines for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Yeah think 6/7 is about right. If the groups were divided a bit more evenly and we had an in form Netherlands and an in form Russia in the knockout stages things could've been a bit more interesting. I think the knockout stages in particular lacked a certain edge, possibly because of the gulf in class between Spain and the rest but agh I don't know some of the big teams just didn;t perform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Very good overall. I'll give it an 8. The teams played with a positive attitude.

Good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Best tournament since Euro 2000 for me, others may feel differently. Group stages were the highlight excluding Ireland's poor showing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Best Euro's since 1972.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Although clearly Ukraine and Poland were well able to host it! Typical fear mongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Group stages 9/10.
    Knockout stages 6/10.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Decent tournament with no major surprises or standout striker. Well organised and the refereeing was as good as I have seen in a finals.

Decent tournament with no major surprises or standout striker. Well organised and the refereeing was as good as I have seen in a finals.

Wasn't there bad referring in one of Irelands games? Can't remember which one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

flyswatter wrote: »
    Wasn't there bad referring in one of Irelands games? Can't remember which one.

Against Italy he was atrocious, Buffon was going mad at him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Although clearly Ukraine and Poland were well able to host it! Typical fear mongering.

Neither fined for anything in end (think so anyway)

One of the best for me, only downside was how ****e Ireland were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Best 2 teams got to the final. Spain saved the best till last though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Best major tournament for a while for me. The fact that Spain were the most "boring" team says it all tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

excellent, really enjoyed it. Pity its over:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

7 - 5 of them for the groups, 1 for Germany/Italy and 1 for the final.

3 red cards and two of them were due to that stupid Spanish ref in the opener, certainly a tournament that was played in good spirit for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Thank you Poland and Ukraine for the memories. A well run tournament with lots of good memories.

I now know not to ever believe another word that comes out of the BBC and their panorama sensationalist bull crap.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Thank you Poland and Ukraine for the memories. A well run tournament with lots of good memories.

I now know not to ever believe another word that comes out of the BBC and their panorama sensationalist bull crap.

Right.....

http://www.people.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2011/10/16/soccer-stars-fury-as-more-than-50-000-stray-dogs-are-slaughtered-in-ukraine-as-it-prepares-to-host-euro-2012-102039-23491212/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

recyclebin wrote: »

It was the same bullsh1t for South Africa 2010, and I can guarantee the same sensationalist stuff in the run up to Brazil. And again a big percentage of the people will fall for it.

(Though the run-up to Russia 2018 will make everything else pale into insignificance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

5/10. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Some very good games, but lacked that 1 or 2 classic games to make it one of the greats.

Better then 2008 imo.

7/10(a good 7 though:))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

The 4 best and attack minded teams reached the semis and it was an excellent final. Best Euros i can remember. Very little diving, few red cards and the real teams done well unlike individuals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

8/10. Euro2000 was populated by the likes of England and Germany at the time but people tend to forget that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Overall I give it an 8 just about, despite it kinda fizzling out in the KO stages, overall it was an excellent tournament.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Glad to see some goals being fired in with the Italy V Germany Semis and the final being great to watch. If the final had been another spanish 1 nil snorefest I'd have ripped my hair out. Torres's unselfish pass of the ball to the Mata was what eventually earned my respect, he had three goals and had the golden boot won but a fourth would have made him the top tournament scorer. How the Spanish could have him on the bench puzzles me.

It was mad that Spain won the World Cup as they were boring as hell and the poor old Dutch had lost two finals previous to that, however Spain redeemed themselves tonight and I reckon they will go down to Brazil in two years time and defend their title, there is nothing to stop them unless Argentina or Brazil have some new proteges lined up. We are witnessing the greatest soccer team since the days of Pele and Maradona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I believe the build up with Ireland being part of the competition helped spur on my own enthusiasm for the tournament even if they didnt perform as well as I liked I still carried on a more motivated interest in the later stages. I 100% enjoyed it more than SA 2008. Gave it a 7 in the Poll

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I thought it was quite boring. I'm a big fan of an upset but there really wasn't any average team that played outstanding. e.g. Denmark beating Netherlands or Greece qualifying were the closest.

Group A was by far my favourite group as it was just so unpredictable coming into the last game.

The knockout rounds were boring besides Germany Greece when Greece challenged.

Does anyone else feel it missed a team overachieving such as Turkey, Croatia, Greece runs in previous tournaments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Great tournament, up there with Euro 2008.

Although we are saying good bye to international football in its purist form with the expansion to 24 teams in 2016. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A soild 7, there was some dross in there that brought it down a point or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I give it an 8.

It would have been higher but the Knockout stages were a little disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Solid 7. Lack of come from behind classic wins kept it from being exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Best group stages in a long time and the best opening day in an even longer time.

Favourite games have to be Poland v Russia, Portugal v Netherlands and Sweden v England.

The knockout stages were disappointing and the final was atrocious.

The general atmosphere was miles better than in '08, but it's still far away from that "World Cup feel".

Deserved 7/10 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Good tournament, but it lacked something. It lacked a killer moment or a moment where we'll be talking about it for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Group stage - 10/10
    K/O - 7/10

Overall 8.5/20

Despite our own frustrations and short comings the tournament was a joy to watch no matter who was playing, there wasnt a day when I didnt want to watch a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

6/10

Was ok. No great surprises or upsets. Most games were predictable. The only game that stands out for me is the ENGvSWE game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I gave it a 7. I loved the way the groups fell that almost ever game had something riding on it. The two semis were loaded affairs, and Spain were a shining light. I think Poland's team let themselves down as hosts, unlike Ukraine who really represented themselves.

As a tournament, it is SO much more competitive than the WC. I watched every game, and they were all worth watching. In the WC, there would be at least 6/8 games that would give me no interest. I worry that the next Euros may do that. But if you consider that an additional 8 teams this time would have included Turkey, Romania, Serbia, Belgium, Norway, Wales, Scotland and Switzerland - that's still pretty interesting. Would have allowed us to see Hazard, Kompany, Bale, Vidoc, Krasic, Ivanovic, Turan, Shaqiri, and Dazza Fletcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

6/10

if someone told me for a fact before hand that spain would win it, I wouldn't have bothered watching probably every single game for some duration.

italy were never exciting to watch.
    Germany went out with a whimper.
    england were hideous.
    france were beyong boring.
    holland were atrocious.

portugal were the only decent thing about a finals that overall had no memorable moments aside from the final itself.

Actually, make it 5/10. Doesn't even come close to euro 96,00,04 or 08.

• Advertisement
Advertisement