Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to D15

Options
  • 01-07-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    We are planning to move to Dublin 15 area. Would like to know good places with less ASB, burglaries etc. We have seen a place in Castlecurragh Park and liked the house. Is it a good area? We have also seen an apartment in Rosehaven. Is that a good place? How about St.Mochtas? How much would be the reasonable rent for a 2 bed 2 bath Apartment or 3 bed house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

You are probably looking at about 1,000 euro for a months rent.

St. Mochta's is a nice estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 IBMER

@Diddler1977 Any other estates/areas?

Well Clonsilla is a nice area as is Carpenterstown, Castleknock, Clonee, etc.

Tyrrelstown and Ongar are also popular.

Then there is Waterville near the hospital.

Westend near the Blanch Centre.

What is your circumstance? Children? Partner?
    What facilities do you want to be near? Parks, Library, shopping, etc.?

Well Clonsilla is a nice area as is Carpenterstown, Castleknock, Clonee, etc.

Tyrrelstown and Ongar are also popular.

Then there is Waterville near the hospital.

Westend near the Blanch Centre.

What is your circumstance? Children? Partner?
    What facilities do you want to be near? Parks, Library, shopping, etc.?
    My husband works in IBM, Damastown. My daughter goes to school this year in St.Francis Xavier. So in a confused state which area is good and how much rent will be reasonable.

Hi,
    Is Castlecurragh Park a nice community i.e any break-ins, burglaries etc etc. Is it a safe community?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

you may hear otherwise but i wouldnt go near it. lots of little skumbags hanging around the shops drug dealing and causing trouble. better off sticking to coolmine roselawn clonsilla road verdemont waterville edgewood lawns aisling heights etc and you can walk/cycle to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jekin

IBMER wrote: »
    My husband works in IBM, Damastown. My daughter goes to school this year in St.Francis Xavier. So in a confused state which area is good and how much rent will be reasonable.

How did you get into St.Francis Xavier national school? Thought you had to be in the cachement area.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

If you want to be close to Francis Xaviers take a look at Glenville/Brompton/Delwood/Roselawn. A 3 bed house in Glenville should be about 1000/1100 a month. 4 beds not much more. They are quite mature estates and you won't have to worry about trouble etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

Hi,
    We are planning to move to Dublin 15 area. Would like to know good places with less ASB, burglaries etc. We have seen a place in Castlecurragh Park and liked the house. Is it a good area? We have also seen an apartment in Rosehaven. Is that a good place? How about St.Mochtas? How much would be the reasonable rent for a 2 bed 2 bath Apartment or 3 bed house?

I happend to live in all these three areas - St. Mochtas was definately best in terms of ..comfort of living - relatively new developement (the houses still is good condition, and not too small like in Castlecurragh) - but the traffic - to get out was not really easy (morning, afternoons) - now it might be slightly better since they opened this new bridge / road to Carpenterstown and Lucan. Train st. in walking distance may be an advantage too

Castlecurragh is definately better located in terms of commuting - access to N3, Blanch SC, choice of local stores, and of course next to Damastown (no need to drive really - a bus at the door step). And should be cheaper and generally more available (bigger number of houses, and some smaller flats)
    I would not say it is safer, but not particularily bad. Just more dense. There is a lot of young families with children within the estate, but mind that the neighourhood has rather bad fame.

Rosehaven has basically the advantages of St. Mochtas, except that the access to N3 and the city is even worse.

But looking at the school location - I have seen some good places there, but not lived myself. Driving from there to Damastown/Blanch SC/the City is not a big issue. Hansfield (the new developement) might be an option if you do not mind living in a brand new shoebox :)

I do not think there are bigger differences in prices - except that eg. Waterville tends to be overpriced (very bad acustics at high density of flats) - you always should be able to negotiate the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

markas wrote: »
    I do not think there are bigger differences in prices - except that eg. Waterville tends to be overpriced (very bad acustics at high density of flats) - you always should be able to negotiate the rent.

I've lived in Waterville for 8 years and never had acoustics issues?

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    I've lived in Waterville for 8 years and never had acoustics issues?

Lucky you. Perhaps it depends on the flat type and location. And of course more on the neighbours behaviour. Unfortunately I was in the middle between a party house downstairs (I can't believe anybody was actually _living_ there), a young couple having rather intesive relationship- behind the wall (after few months I new them too well without seeing even once), and a lady above who enjoyed walking rounds without taking her high heels off. And of course a shared bathroom - an architectural wonder - few familes can use it at the same time, just not seing each other ;)
    If not the parties downstairs and few cars being damaged during nights it could be bearable. Sound insulation is really bad, but to be fair I have no comparison with similar apartments in Dublin. That could be just poor building requiremets /standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

markas wrote: »
    Lucky you. Perhaps it depends on the flat type and location. And of course more on the neighbours behaviour. Unfortunately I was in the middle between a party house downstairs (I can't believe anybody was actually _living_ there), a young couple having rather intesive relationship- behind the wall (after few months I new them too well without seeing even once), and a lady above who enjoyed walking rounds without taking her high heels off. And of course a shared bathroom - an architectural wonder - few familes can use it at the same time, just not seing each other ;)
    If not the parties downstairs and few cars being damaged during nights it could be bearable. Sound insulation is really bad, but to be fair I have no comparison with similar apartments in Dublin. That could be just poor building requiremets /standards

Dumb question possibly, but do you mean you have to share a bathroom with other apartments ?

anbrutog wrote: »
    Dumb question possibly, but do you mean you have to share a bathroom with other apartments ?

Yes, acoustically the bathroom space spans across the floors. One cannot see each other, allright, but apart from that its like using one space.

EDIT: But again, this may be typical to other cheap apartments in ireland, too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pallas Athena

Hi,

Stay away from St. Mochta's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Why?

Why?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I grew up in Glenville and went to St Francis Xavier - short walk to it, also to train and 39 bus.

I now live in Waterville and have no issue with it at all, just a quick walk to the 38 bus and perfectly driveable to the school (I can get home to parents in 5 mins). 38 is a lot quicker into town than the 39. Would have to drive to town and v little parking for Castleknock and Phoenix Park has to be paid for.

I have a two bed duplex in Waterville and can't hear a thing....even though next door have a new baby. Lived in Ongar before in a house and hated it...very noisy. Maybe previous person who posted lived in older apartments, but I'm extremely happy with mine.

I don't like castlecurragh, went to the spar there last night and there was a very obvious drugs deal going on at 8pm. Spar in waterville is grand but smaller. Tend to go to SUperquinn or Tesco in village/Roselawn.

JUst to add colleague lives in Castlecurragh - she is accountant from China, and says that if she knew what she knows now, she'd never have moved into the area up there. When I was buying the place in Ongar, rather snobbishly my then boyf based our decision between there and Ongar on quality of cars - Castlecurragh was big white vans and Ongar family cars. But I must say Waterville better than either. For family houses though you couldn't beat Glenville/Roselawn/Delwood/BromptonCoolmine Woods. Another option would be Blanchardstown Village itself - a few houses to rent on the main street/Herbert/River Road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Posts like that are of no use at all to the OP & are not wanted thanks. If you've something to say, say it and be prepared to back your statements up.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

??? I always thought Mochtas was a reputable place...

Advertisement