Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of the Tournament

• 01-07-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭

Well, who do ye all think? It realistically comes down to either Pirlo or Iniesta, after the final my vote goes to Iniesta.

Who should win the Player of the tournament? 77 votes

Iniesta
    0%
    Pirlo
    100%
    super_furryMrJoeSoapLizardKingkeano_afcapplehunterMr.Nice GuyFrank SpencerwhatawasterCrumbsJPAMorporkollaettaGLaDOSBig KnoxclickhereMushyaidan24326dsmythydfx-frisbeeface 77 votes

Comments

Pirlo
    Iniesta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Paul Green :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

sergio ramos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Pirlo
    Iniesta for me. Only Pirlo comes close, but the final swayed me. Spain did a great job keeping him out of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Jordi Alba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Fabregas is also worth a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Silva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rather presumptuous poll choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Pirlo
    Probably Iniesta now.

Pirlo close second. Honourable mentions to Jordi Alba and Sergio Ramos.

Busquets as usual most underrated performer. Champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Xabi Alonso?

Lahm was very good throughout too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Pirlo
    mike65 wrote: »
    There was zero point in including anyone else. Other players, like one's mentioned above, had very good tournaments, but no one came close to the two mentioned in the poll. If anyone else even finishes in the top 2 I won't post here for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pirlo
    mike65 wrote: »

They're by far and a way the best two players, and top of the betting by a good distance. I picked Iniesta but reckon it'll go to Pirlo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Ebbs wrote: »
    Xabi Alonso?

Alonso for me too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pirlo for me, he was better over all 6 games imho. Only tonight was Iniesta better.

Edit: However, because spain won, I think people will get caught up in that and Iniesta will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Iniesta missed several chances so no he wouldn't be Player of the Tournament
    Pirlo or Alba i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Pirlo
    Iniesta, although it would be better if there had been a choice of around 10 in the poll. Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I thought Ozil had a fantastic tournament .

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

have to say shay given for me, 9 goal assists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Stephen Ward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pirlo
    Iniesta was great in every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Pirlo. Those being disrespectful to Irish players here should really get a grip.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Iniesta and Pirlo a close second.

Ozil, Cesc, Busq all worth mentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Xabi Alonso for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Pirlo
    Iniesta is just pure magical with the ball. He outshone everyone imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Pirlo
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Iniesta and Pirlo a close second.

Ozil, Cesc, Busq all worth mentions.

David Silva and Gomez also had a good tournament.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Pirlo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Pirlo
    Honourable mention for Milan Baros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pirlo! Simple as that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

pirlo hopefully. he was outstanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Casillas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Pirlo

biggest flop Wayne Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jordi Alba made a really big impression in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Pirlo was amazing but was silenced in the final, I would still give it to him though.

I thought Modric had a stormer but due to limited progress in the tournament I dont think he could be included unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Won't win it but Moutinho had a super tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Buffon - worth a mention if ultimately not top two.

Ronaldo as well has to be mentioned.

Big games and goals against the Dutch and Czechs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Pirlo
    Iniesta with Pirlo an incredibly close second.

Fabregas, Moutinho, Ozil, Busquets, Alba, Ronaldo have all been fantastic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Pirlo for me.
    Would Italy have gotten to the final without him? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Jordi Alba was probably the player who surprised most of us.

The player of the tourney has to be Pirlo, however, even if the final wan't his best. He was immense against Germany, Croatia, and England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

pirlo wasnt even thought about til after the england game. the english media hyped him up so much after that,that we took notice. done bugger all in the group games ok he scored 1 goal but seriously folks he done sweet **** all bar the england game where he was given time and space to do whatever he liked. any good player given that amount of time and space woyld surely make an impression.

dont get me wrong he is a good player but player of the tournament???hardly!!!! for me it was alonso, didnt put a foot wrong all tournament was very influential in spains win more so than xavi iniesta and bootskates

Pirlo
    pirlo wasnt even thought about til after the england game. the english media hyped him up so much after that,that we took notice. done bugger all in the group games ok he scored 1 goal but seriously folks he done sweet **** all bar the england game where he was given time and space to do whatever he liked. any good player given that amount of time and space woyld surely make an impression.

That's just not true (I'm holding myself back here...)

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    That's just not true (I'm holding myself back here...)

in your opinion who was the best left back in the tournament????

Pirlo

Not sure of the relevance, but Lahm or Alba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Jodi Alba was the standout, notwithstanding his goal and performance today!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pirlo
    Iniesta. Pass for the opening goal in the final and coolness in the 87th minute against Croatia to top the group. Big game player.

Not sure of the relevance, but Lahm or Alba.

ok. you picked iniesta as your player of the tournament. i have no problem with anyone pickin who they want as long as its justified and to me i think iniesta is a justifiable choice.

pirlo as i said, nobody batted an eye lid til after the england game with that penalty which i think took balls and all the rest but he really only had one good game(v england oh yeah that 1 one goal against croatia) which in all fairness even after that great free kick still nobody cared.

which is why i picked alonso. brilliant all the way thru wit xavi iniesta in the same team.

my point about the left back is you prob wouldnt even consider alba only for he scored tonite while coentrao and lahm were far better as in contributing to the team.

dont get me wrong he is a good player but player of the tournament???hardly!!!! for me it was alonso, didnt put a foot wrong all tournament was very influential in spains win more so than xavi iniesta and bootskates

Pretty much a stand alone opinion there, I think you and Dunphy would get along great...

My facebook newsfeed was crawling with Pirlo related statuses throughout the group stage after each of Italy's games about how amazing he was. It is true that he did tear England a new one but it was definitely not his only stand out game.

Pirlo
    pirlo as i said, nobody batted an eye lid til after the england game with that penalty which i think took balls and all the rest but he really only had one good game(v england oh yeah that 1 one goal against croatia) which in all fairness even after that great free kick still nobody cared.

A quick search of keyword "Pirlo" on here from the first Spain game...

w041R.jpg

And so on.

my point about the left back is you prob wouldnt even consider alba only for he scored tonite while coentrao and lahm were far better as in contributing to the team.

I dont think people picked him because of his role tonight in scoring the goal, I would see it more as he caught peoples eye because of the boots he had to fill of Capdevila and he was relatively unknown name stepping into a team of household names. He stepped up to the spot and performed admirably

A quick search of keyword "Pirlo" on here from the first Spain game...

w041R.jpg

And so on.

i notice they were all against ireland, 1 goal for and conceded 7,8 goals well done pirlo to be the stand out player against a ****e team.

Pirlo
    i notice they were all against ireland, 1 goal for and conceded 7,8 goals well done pirlo to be the stand out player against a ****e team.

I'm starting to remember why I don't visit this forum very often any more... night all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement