Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of the Tournament

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Pirlo
    Thought Balotelli played quite well in the first game myself, himself and Cassano gave the Spanish back 4 plenty to think about. Alba and Arbeloa were afraid to leave Pique and Ramos alone, which greatly diminished one of Spain's more productive outlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Pirlo
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you get away with spouting such arrogant nonsense. Three cherry-picked quotes are hardly a fair sample on which to judge 60 million people.

The Guardian poll results were tallied using votes from voters all around the World (The Guardian having a massive Worldwide online readership). It wasn't just the idiot Brits who didn't see things the way that you did.
    To be fair, you often hear something along the lines of what G.K. has posted even in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Pirlo
    THFC wrote: »
    To be fair, you often hear something along the lines of what G.K. has posted even in Ireland.

That wouldn't make every Irish person ignorant and unappreciative of things such as passing football and off-the-ball movement.

FWIW, Ibrahimovic has a terrible record against the English national team and against English sides in Europe (other than Arsenal) so it would be quite possible for an English fan to have seen him 12 times, putting in ten bad performances, one ok one and one good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Pirlo
    I'm not sure how you get away with spouting such arrogant nonsense. Three cherry-picked quotes are hardly a fair sample on which to judge 60 million people.

Did I claim that 3 quotes represent the whole of the public? No. I'm pointing out some of the ideas held over here by too many of the the general public due to the media influence. This is merely one very small Facebook conversation, and you get many of these comments on FB, Twitter, the 606 replacement sites and in many other places.

I said 'the public tend to be ignorant', and I'm not saying that in an arrogant manner, I'm saying that through the experience of having grown up and lived among the British public through my whole life. When you hear something along the lines of 81% of the public believing that England would win the Euros heading into the Italy game, and that all of the surveyed BBC pundits (Who have a big influence over the viewpoint of the masses) held this view, you do begin to get the impresson that the public are ignorant.
    The Guardian poll results were tallied using votes from voters all around the World (The Guardian having a massive Worldwide online readership). It wasn't just the idiot Brits who didn't see things the way that you did.

All the same, basically every report of that match, when talking about Balotelli, refered only to his miss or his petulance. I'm yet to see a mainstream media report talking about his world-class off the ball movement (Though it'd be great if I was corrected there).

You can call me arrogant, and tbh I see why you say it (I'm saying things like 'the masses', after all) even though I'd disagree (I'm just saying it as I see it imo), but nonsense it ain't. Balotelli's movement, and Cassano's too, was top-notch in that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Pirlo
    That wouldn't make every Irish person ignorant and unappreciative of things such as passing football and off-the-ball movement.

Well I'm sure G.K wasn't trying to be offensive with his comments as afaik he's from Britain himself.

He did say the British public 'tend' to be drip fed by Sky Sports, not all of the British public are.

And I'd have to agree with THFC that Ireland is definitely like that. The examples G.K posted above are things I hear from a large portion of the football supporting population almost everyday.

I'm not trying to be arrogant, but IMO most football fans I know are fairly fickle and just regurgitate Sky/BBC/RTE etc. opinion and rarely form their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Pirlo
    Would people prefer if I moved this debate to the Balotelli thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

ah sure its relevant to the topic

Now that I think of it I think Stevie G had a great tournament seen as he was surrounded by a completely mediocre team. Not enough to warrant a spot up there with Pirlo and Iniesta but he was a credit to his country none the less, the chap is a steam train of determination.

Pirlo
    G.K. wrote: »
    Did I claim that 3 quotes represent the whole of the public? No. I'm pointing out some of the ideas held over here by too many of the the general public due to the media influence. This is merely one very small Facebook conversation, and you get many of these comments on FB, Twitter, the 606 replacement sites and in many other places.

I said 'the public tend to be ignorant', and I'm not saying that in an arrogant manner, I'm saying that through the experience of having grown up and lived among the British public through my whole life. When you hear something along the lines of 81% of the public believing that England would win the Euros heading into the Italy game, and that all of the surveyed BBC pundits (Who have a big influence over the viewpoint of the masses) held this view, you do begin to get the impresson that the public are ignorant.

If English people felt that England were going to win the Euros going into the Italy game it was merely because it seemed like we had some luck behind us. Not a single English person I know thought we were going to win.

Either way, fans getting behind their team isn't a sign of ignorance. It's a sign of support. On here a hell of a lot of people believed Ireland would get out of their group. That's not ignorant.

English football fans aren't mindless idiots regurgitating whatever the media tell them. Yes you get some idiots on TalkSPORT and message boards but the equivilant is the same everywhere. I lived in England for 30 years, I've been to hundreds of matches across all four divisions and followed England on numerous internationals and most fans I meet are a million miles away from the stereotype you're perpetuating.
    G.K. wrote: »
    All the same, basically every report of that match, when talking about Balotelli, refered only to his miss or his petulance. I'm yet to see a mainstream media report talking about his world-class off the ball movement (Though it'd be great if I was corrected there).

You can call me arrogant, and tbh I see why you say it (I'm saying things like 'the masses', after all) even though I'd disagree (I'm just saying it as I see it imo), but nonsense it ain't. Balotelli's movement, and Cassano's too, was top-notch in that game.

Meh. I didn't see this world class off the ball movement. I don't personally believe that you can properly assess a players off the ball work if you're not at the game. It's something on TV which you're not able to make out one way or the other because for most of the game any single individual player won't be on the screen. Either way, you saying that this brilliant work off the ball makes up for his shocking performance with the ball is your opinion and you're entitled to it. It doesn't make anyone who holds a different opinion an idiot who doesn't understand the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Pirlo
    Gandalph wrote: »
    Now that I think of it I think Stevie G had a great tournament seen as he was surrounded by a completely mediocre team. Not enough to warrant a spot up there with Pirlo and Iniesta but he was a credit to his country none the less, the chap is a steam train of determination.

No he didn't. He worked hard and gave it his all but he's been continually shown up over the years in these tournaments. He's limited as a player. Best of a bad lot naybe, but that's not saying much.

The poll choices are presumptious to say the least. Even if Iniesta had a good final, for me he was overshadowed throughout the tournament by the briliant Xabi Alonso. It's incredible that one country produce Iniesta, Xavi and Alonso at the same time, not to mention Fabregas who was also excellent.

• Advertisement

Pirlo
    I don't rate Gerrard much at all, but he had a very good tournament. Three assists and ran himself into the ground in difficult circumstances. He really went up in my estimation this tournament.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    No he didn't.

He did enough to get named in the team of the tournament, he was of the only players that showed up for England. 3 Assists and should of been more could if the others finish at all. His work rate was ridiculous, you could see he really wanted it. And in fairness he helped a pretty bad team get to a stage they shouldn't of been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i honestly cant believe people are saying Balotelli for team of the tournament let alone player of the tournament. he had one good game where he scored 2 goals, was very average even poor for the rest.

its amazing how a couple of goals cloud peoples judgements.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Pirlo was definitely more consistent throughout the tournament,but Iniesta was unbelievable in the final.

I'd give it to Pirlo, but only just ahead of Iniesta

Advertisement