Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Reacher

• 01-07-2012 10:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Starring Tom Cruise, directed by Christopher McQuarrie and based on the novel One Shot by Lee Child. It's out in late December. And we have our first trailer.

I'm not familiar with the source material, but it looks good.

EDIT: updated with US trailer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Watched a bit of the trailer to get a taste. I'll wait for the official English language version. But all I need to know is it is Tom Cruise movie so I will see it. The man nearly always delivers good value entertainment.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My dad and my brother are fans of the books but thats as far as my familiarity goes. Cruise has been on a decent run of late though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Read one book when on holidays, the main character is the perfect soldier/gentleman, flawless in every way. That shít annoys me!

Film could be an entertaining stunt-fest though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Lee Child has written better books, and Tom Cruise isn't exactly anyone who has read the books idea of Reacher. Damn the trailer being taken down. I've read all the books, and enjoy them all. In terms of the movie, I've never really had that much hope that they would be good. A lot of what makes the books good is because it goes more in to incidental details and what is going on in the characters head. What ever way the movie turns out, I'm still going to be enjoying the books as long as the quality is up to a standard I can enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I really can't understand how they casted Cruise as Reacher. One of Reacher's main attributes in the books is that he is physically formidable. It's an integral part of the character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Werner Herzog as an evil mastermind.

It's like all my birthdays at once.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jamc wrote: »
    Werner Herzog as an evil mastermind.

It's like all my birthdays at once.

Wait what? Herzog is playing the baddie in this?!?!?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wait what? Herzog is playing the baddie in this?!?!?

He's playing a character called The Zec who frames some sniper for the murder of a number of people and Cruise's character investigates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

Christopher McQuarrie on Jack
    "One Shot is the one flick where the story begins before Reacher enters," McQuarrie explains, clearly missing that memo about the title change.
    "He's essentially vanished and lives off the grid.
    He has a toothbrush and a passport and a fistful of cash, and that's it."
    "How that choice of lifestyle affects the plot of One Shot was probably the determination of why this was the best book to introduce the character."
    So what of that controversial casting? Surely Cruise is too, well, wee to play the hulking hero? "That's to confuse character with characteristics," smiles McQuarrie, a man more than comfortable with Paramount's choice of lead.
    "What drew me to Reacher was what I love about him, and that's his mind.
    Tom is extremely personable and completely unstoppable.
    That really is, to me, Jack Reacher."

Tom as Jack

Kind of just gave away the entire plot there Darko. May want to spoiler it.

• Advertisement

Opinicus wrote: »
    Kind of just gave away the entire plot there Darko. May want to spoiler it.

Don't see any issue with what I posted, its a brief synopsis of the film. Its already been posted by a number of websites, magazines and newspapers.

I would also hope that the films plot is far more developed and substantial that what I posted, if not its going to be a very banal film.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I thought this was funny.

Taken from the Wikipedia page.

"Reacher is a giant, standing at 6' 5" tall (1.96m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg)."

Don't see any issue with what I posted, its a brief synopsis of the film. Its already been posted by a number of websites, magazines and newspapers.

I would also hope that the films plot is far more developed and substantial that what I posted, if not its going to be a very banal film.

I thought it was my post Opinicus meant just got posters mixed up so I added spoiler tags in case

Fair enough but for anyone who hasn't read the books
    they won't know that the Zec framed the sniper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I've read nearly all the Reacher books. Highly recommended by the way. Persuader, The Hard Way and Killing Floor are the best in my opinion.

I have never seen such outrage and disgust about a casting decision as this film has generated. Cruise is 5'8, Reacher is 250lbs, 6'5, big brawler with blonde hair and blue eyes.

I think Lee Child looks similar to my picture of Jack Reacher.

Anyway, it's an atrocious casting decision, every fan is upset about it, almost no exceptions. Almost don't feel like paying to see this.

I would have liked to see Tim Robbins play Reacher, admittedly I don't know much about him bar The Shawshank Redemption, but I remember him fighting in one of the scenes. He too is 6'5 in height. Possibly a few years too old at 53, Reacher is around that age in the later books.

You need at least someone who can pull off the tall look on screen. Hugh Jackman or someone similar, possibly an unknown actor. In the latest pictures below it's like Cruise is trying to make himself look tall and fails:

528151_387456644647402_929795600_n.jpg

Really disappointed about this, hope it's aborted or Cruise pulls out (would make my day). As said by Opinicus earlier, his size is key to Reachers power as an action hero. In one book he
    squeezes a man to death in a bear hug

flyswatter wrote: »
    I've read nearly all the Reacher books. Highly recommended by the way. Persuader, The Hard Way and Killing Floor are the best in my opinion.
    I've read the lot. If you haven't read Echo Burning and Tripwire, I'd recommend them. Those two along with Killing Floor would be my top 3. Take your time reading The Visitor if you haven't gotten to it yet.
    Anyway, it's an atrocious casting decision, every fan is upset about it, almost no exceptions. Almost don't feel like paying to see this.
    Having read the books, did you think a movie would portray it well? I never had the optimism that it would. The film rights have been sold off to his stuff for a long damn time now. Didn't even look like it was going to happen for a long time there. Its planned as a trilogy too, as far as I know. I'm still going to go see it, even though I'm not expecting a whole lot from it.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I've read the lot. If you haven't read Echo Burning and Tripwire, I'd recommend them. Those two along with Killing Floor would be my top 3. Take your time reading The Visitor if you haven't gotten to it yet.

Having read the books, did you think a movie would portray it well? I never had the optimism that it would. The film rights have been sold off to his stuff for a long damn time now. Didn't even look like it was going to happen for a long time there. Its planned as a trilogy too, as far as I know. I'm still going to go see it, even though I'm not expecting a whole lot from it.

I've read all the ones you mentioned. The only ones I haven't read are Die Trying (I have read half of it, didn't read the rest for some reason.) and the latest book The Affair. I have The Affair but haven't started it yet. So I own all the books at least.

What do you make of The Hard Way and Bad Luck and Trouble? I think they're both great, can't remember Bad Luck and Trouble quite as vividly though.

You are probably right, same way I thought Harry Potter would have been great if each book had a tv series cos the books are so long. Much prefer the books to the films.

Cruise bought the film rights didn't he?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Best thing, perhaps, is that this movie tanks and they get a shot at rebooting it in 5 years with an actor who doesn't think Hubbard was his saviour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Decuc500

This was written and directed by Christopher McQuarrie whose 'The Way Of The Gun' is one of the great crime/action/men-with-guns movies. He also writes great dialogue.

I'm looking forward to Jack Reacher as Christopher McQuarrie's second movie, irrespective of who's in it or what it's about though I can see why fans of the books might be upset with the casting.

flyswatter wrote: »
    What do you make of The Hard Way and Bad Luck and Trouble? I think they're both great, can't remember Bad Luck and Trouble quite as vividly though.
    I can't remember a whole lot from them, specific plot points, et cetera to be honest.

Anyway, the trailer is out, in English. About to watch.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/jack-reacher/trailers/

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I can't remember a whole lot from them, specific plot points, et cetera to be honest.

Anyway, the trailer is out, in English. About to watch.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/jack-reacher/trailers/

The music in the trailer sounds like the Mission Impossible theme

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't really care about Tom Cruise the man, it should have no place in our ability to judge his craft, but Tom Cruise the actor isn't really the best choice to play a tough-as-nails bruiser type, is he? Regardless of what height Jack Reacher should be, he just doesn't have the physicality & presence to play that kind of character. In fact, the classic car & leather jacket make the film look like a bit of a pastiche tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

As a cruise lover and fan of the books, I was very sceptical reading he was cast. I still am, but I'd much rather him than the rock or someone like that who fits the physical description.
    Its not the worst thing in the world to reinvent the character a bit either,

oh yeah, tim robbins :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've updated the first post with the US trailer.

Cruise obviously doesn't match the physical description of the character in the book, but does it really matter? Is there an important reason why the character has to be 6ft 5 with a 50 inch chest? It's a movie. On-screen presence is more important than physical attributes like height. Michael Keaton didn't look anything like Batman. He didn't have the height, he didn't have the muscles, he didn't have the jaw/chin; but he was more than effective in the role, arguably more so than Bale. Cruise certainly doesn't lack for on-screen presence. And he can play tough - see Collateral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Must say that the trailer looks quite good even though Cruise is in it. Maybe it'll turn into a franchise-like-structure such as the Bond movies with different actors every several movies? Or maybe not.

I thought Reacher would have been perfectly played by an unknown actor that fits the bill physically and would play the role to a tee and could carve out a decent career for himself.

Cruise obviously doesn't match the physical description of the character in the book, but does it really matter? Is there an important reason why the character has to be 6ft 5 with a 50 inch chest? It's a movie. On-screen presence is more important than physical attributes like height. Michael Keaton didn't look anything like Batman. He didn't have the height, he didn't have the muscles, he didn't have the jaw/chin; but he was more than effective in the role, arguably more so than Bale. Cruise certainly doesn't lack for on-screen presence. And he can play tough - see Collateral.

Yeah, kind of integral to Reachers character in general. See my points in my earlier post. I'd imagine there could be many plot holes in this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭vill@in

Big fan of the series. I remember hearing about the film version, and Cruise's casting, and thinking there was no way it could work. Nothing in the trailer has changed my mind.

Also recall around the same time that Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock) was in contention for the part. Certainly would've matched the physically imposing aspects of the character...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Jimdagym wrote: »
    As a cruise lover and fan of the books, I was very sceptical reading he was cast. I still am, but I'd much rather him than the rock or someone like that who fits the physical description.
    Its not the worst thing in the world to reinvent the character a bit either,

oh yeah, tim robbins :pac:
    vill@in wrote: »
    Big fan of the series. I remember hearing about the film version, and Cruise's casting, and thinking there was no way it could work. Nothing in the trailer has changed my mind.

Also recall around the same time that Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock) was in contention for the part. Certainly would've matched the physically imposing aspects of the character...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I love all of the books and when i saw this thread I was delighted until I clicked the link and saw tom " the whacko " cruise. Did the whoever cast this actually read the books.

This will just end up been another film that butchers a good book.

• Advertisement

vill@in wrote: »

I wouldn't be unhappy if Johnson got the part, doesn't fit the appearance of Reacher, he does physically, he is the perfect height, bit too bulky.

Can he act?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True, but it's on this where I think Cruise also fails; I don't think he has much presence tbh & never bought him as a leading man, let alone a brawny slugger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Am a fan of the books and like other fans of the source material Cruise is just not the actor to play Jack Reacher. In the books Reacher takes out big men with single punches and breaks bones like matchsticks. As a previuos poster said Reacher once killed a guy by picking him up and sqeezing him to death like a boa constrictor.
    Wont be going to see the film as apart from Cruise the trailor looks ****, it reminded me of poor Van Damme films from the 80s.

Cruise obviously doesn't match the physical description of the character in the book, but does it really matter? Is there an important reason why the character has to be 6ft 5 with a 50 inch chest?

Basically Reacher is a force of nature. You cross him, he ****s you up. He can instill fear in his enemies through his appearance, this coupled with his keenly analytical mind is what makes Reacher so appealing as a character.

I hope I'm wrong but I think this movie is going to look like a bad Bourne ripoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

pixelburp wrote: »
    True, but it's on this where I think Cruise also fails; I don't think he has much presence tbh & never bought him as a leading man, let alone a brawny slugger.

Really? Wow. I think he's been the epitome of a leading man for the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭mar48

I've read all the Reacher books and Tom Cruise is the last person I would have expected to play him. Afraid he's not going to entice me to the cinema

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Really? Wow. I think he's been the epitome of a leading man for the past 20 years.
    Yes really. I don't think he has the presence to carry a movie anymore, if he ever did (although admittedly his early work showed evidence), and just plays the same small subset of characters over & over. He certainly doesn't have the widest range in the world in my view; and too often it seems like he's ... I dunno, acting too hard, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Big fan of the books and was always certain there would be a movie at some stage

I cannot for the life of me understand why they have cast Cruise

It is in complete contradiction to the way that Child depicts the character and so often throughout the series of books it is actually Reacher's physical size that helps him to get out of certain predicaments or to get the upper hand against the "baddie"

All along I had Liam Neeson in my mind

All along I had Liam Neeson in my mind

Oh yes please. He would be awesome. 6'4" too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I really can't understand how they casted Cruise as Reacher. One of Reacher's main attributes in the books is that he is physically formidable. It's an integral part of the character.

Exactly what I thought when I read that Tom Cruise is playing Reacher. Reacher is over 6 foot tall and very well built - Cruise is a wee squirt! Def bad casting there lol.

Would have thought someone like Adam Baldwin would have been better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

This +1000.
    Curise is on no level a suitable reacher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Lee Child has said before that he is pleased that Tom Cruise was taking on the part of Reacher, I haven't got the direct quote to hand but it something along the lines of 'Cruise embodying the spirit of Reacher'. I'm willing to give Cruise a chance on this one.

I wonder will we see the trademark 'death by a single punch' or reference to the fact that Reacher always knows exactly what time it is?

Only read half the book, but what about the bit in Die Trying where Reacher is chained along with a woman and kicks himself off the wall with as much force as he can to break free?

Oh, but sure Tom Cruise can just use this metaphor for size and strength he has to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Ray Stevenson would have made the ideal Reacher I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

This is what I imagine Drive would've looked like had Nicolas Winding Refn not directed it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The music in the trailer sounds like the Mission Impossible theme

Yep I noticed this as well, felt like they were trying to say, sure he isn't 6ft5" but he can kick ass and do cool stunts and stuffs like in the Mission Impossible movies... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

If you read any of the books I think you'd see why asking why not Cruise as Reacher is more or less akin to asking, why not Cruise as Conan the Barbarian? Both characters are kinda defined by their physicality.

Chris Hemsworth aka Thor sounds like the ideal actor to play Reacher physically he has the attributes :p

When reading the Reacher books I alway envisioned Dolph Lundgren as Reacher. He fits the bill perfectly in every way, height, weight physical presence etc., I am so disappointed that Tom Cruise of all people was chosen to play the lead:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Yeah physically you would picture Lundgren alright shame he's an average actor, another note on Reacher is he has sandy, dirty blonde hair not dark brown like Cruise.
    That fella that played Thor as mentioned above would have been a good enough choice.

Yeah physically you would picture Lundgren alright shame he's an average actor, another note on Reacher is he has sandy, dirty blonde hair not dark brown like Cruise.
    That fella that played Thor as mentioned above would have been a good enough choice.

Yes, I agree Chris Hemsworth does look the part, he has a very imposing presence and would fit the bill to a T, but unfortunately the blooming film is being made now and we either have to like it or lump it! I certainly won't be going to the cinema to see it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement