Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kona roll down

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Griffin nails it. Kona is as much about those who can afford to go fast.

The qualification for Kona is so arbitrary that it never actually features the best of the best. Features some who did soft races, some who qualified in tough competitive races etc etc etc

If the qualification system was actually fair then there might be some merit in not accepting a roll down. As it is, It's a very expensive lottery for fast people.

A roll down is the same as passing a competitor with a puncture. It's luck that you gained a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Close enough but is that enough?

Just because someone has a different view or opinion should not make it a BS one. My intentions are to qualify for Kona because I qualified legit not because people who raced better on the day passed up on the opportunity. I don't want to go to Kona just to tick a box i want to go because i deserved and earned it.
    Its easy for me to say this now and it could be a different scenario if i am sitting in the hall hearing the KQ names being called out but this is my current view on it. Don't get me started on lottery slots:)

What would you do if one of the rolldown slots were as a result of someone that had already qualified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

pgibbo wrote: »
    Close enough but is that enough?

Just because someone has a different view or opinion should not make it a BS one. My intentions are to qualify for Kona because I qualified legit not because people who raced better on the day passed up on the opportunity. I don't want to go to Kona just to tick a box i want to go because i deserved and earned it.
    Its easy for me to say this now and it could be a different scenario if i am sitting in the hall hearing the KQ names being called out but this is my current view on it. Don't get me started on lottery slots:)

What would you do if one of the rolldown slots were as a result of someone that had already qualified?
    Both JB and Tunney have already side stepped that question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

What if the guys ahead of you whose slots were rolled down to you hadn't raced that day?

You would have received a slot on the very same finishing time so by your thinking then it would be deserved, don't forget that the race is all about finishing in the quickest time and not what position you finished in he qualifiers. I think it's a ridiculous reason not to go

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

Heard about this thread. Good read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hopefully they'll answer next week after Roth....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My position is well known. I've simply chosen not to give it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

So Martin Muldoon (Fastest irish ironman officially), Matt Molloy (fastest irishman in Kona) & Owen Martin shouldn't take their spots?

Even if the people ahead of them had already qualified? And even if some pro's are moving back to AG..

Better to choose a race closer to Kona - when you know the field would be less stacked?

I know - opinions, opinions, opinions but if you trained your arse off and came that close - and the person that didn't take spot was someone who had already qualified (by the way - you rarely know) - I find it hard to believe that you or JB would refuse it but I suppose - ye haven't been in that position when your given 5 seconds to either stand up and take it or stay sitting and everyone else wondering - "whats wrong with that guy".

Also maybe its thats guys only chance at Kona - Even you know Tunney that things change. That year you came off your bike and had trained your ass off for Austria - Would you have taken a spot? Would you have taken a roll down? Even if you knew that circumstances next year and so on were changing and that you'd prob never again be able to dedicate the same time to the training? That it was your one and only shot?

Maybe like you said - you wouldn't and JB wouldn't

But - It ain't as clear cut as ye're making out

Advertisement