Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed for what to wear for internship!

• 01-07-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Ok, I would appreciate some advice! I have an internship starting tomorrow at a uni library, and I asked the director what the dress code was like.. She said it was very casual, and that the norm was smart casual. So I came up with this outfit: A black shirt with white polka dots, black cardigan, dark blue plain bootcut jeans and black pumps. Do you think this is acceptable? I've looked up websites on a definition of smart causal and most people seem to say that the casual doesn't involve jeans. I have black trousers but I think this would be too much black with the outfit and most of my nicer tops are navy which wouldn't really go.. Help please, I need to make a good impression and not look silly! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lalaloca

Firstly well done you on getting an internship. And credit to you for caring enough to worry how you will look. If you are worried overdo it on day one with the somber black. Black may be boring but you cannot go wrong with it. If you worried and just want to get through day one without fretting go black. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 batsherlashes

Lalaloco: Thank you! And yeah, all black may be a bit boring but you're right at least its safe, and I can scout the place out to see if anyone there wears jeans! :)

I know it's a bit late now, but I think that as long as the jeans are well fitted, dark jeans teamed with pumps can look perfectly smart. Especially with a shirt up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I started a new job recently just for the summer in a shop, and was told just black slacks and a blouse, patterned or plain, off i went to penneys to buy a blouse or two, one plain white and one just blue, arrived on the first day and no one was wearing a blouse ! just normal tops and cardigans and slacks ! but i supposed its always better to be over dressed then under dressed on your first day and wait to see what others are wearing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

keep it smart casual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I'm in the same position as you OP, on the jeans thing I think it depends on the jeans - well presented smart jeans can be fine, depending on the office. I've seen my boss wear dark boot cuts with smart mid-heels, and I've started wearing black skinny jeans with pumps.
    I think if you're going to wear jeans it's safter to go with a blouse and smart shoes; if you're wearing a skirt and tights it's easier to pull off a casual top. The shoes are important too as they change the mood of a whole outfit.

Advertisement