Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 team of the tournament

• 01-07-2012 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭

Go on then.

Buffon

Lahm
    Pepe
    Sergio Ramos
    Jordi Alba

Busquets
    Pirlo
    Iniesta

Dzagoev
    Ronaldo
    Torres

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Casillas

Alba
    Hummels
    Ramos
    Lahm

Alonso
    Ozil
    Pirlo

Iniesta
    Balotelli
    Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've probably forgotten a few but anyway:
    Casillias

Pereira Hummels Pepe Alba

Pirlo Schweingster

Ozil Iniesta Silva

Ronaldo

Subs: Buffon, Lahm, Ramos, De Rossi, Fabregas, Balotelli, Ibrahimovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Buffon

Alba
    Hummels
    Pepe
    Lahm

Ozil
    Pirlo
    Ineista
    De Rossi

Ronaldo
    Balotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Casillas

Alba
    Hummels
    Pepe
    Lahm

Iniesta
    Pirlo
    Xavi

Ronaldo
    Balotelli
    Torres

Obvious choices are obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Casillas (there wasn't any standout keeper imo, but Casillas conceded the least goals)

Lahm Ramos Hummels Alba

Alonso Pirlo
    Ozil

Ronaldo Iniesta
    Gomez (could be Balotelli or Torres too)

Bench: Buffon, Pepe, Busquets, Schweinsteiger, Gerrard, Ashavin, Klose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Casillas
    Lahm --- Hummels --- Ramos --- Alba
    Alonso --- Pirlo
    Ozil --- Iniesta --- Fabregas
    Balotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Fabio Coentrao was excellent I thought. He's just unlucky a player in his position was one of the players of the tournament.

Casillas was barely tested in the whole tournament, whereas Buffon made some excellent saves.

I'm normally a Xavi fanboy, but he wasn't at his best this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Schweinsteiger and Ozil? Don't know, they didn't show that much against Italy. But Mats Hummels was outstanding, so was Fabregas tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Was Balotelli good in any games other than the German one? I'm struggling to think of one. Still thinking mine through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not much love shown to the Portuguese midfield. I thought they were terrific.

Casillas

Alba
    Pique
    Ramos
    Gebre Selassie

Moutinho
    Pirlo
    Ozil

Ronaldo
    Fabregas
    Iniesta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Gonna go for a bit of a crazy one here.
    Buffon
    Lahm - Hummels - Pepe - Alba
    Pirlo
    Ozil - Iniesta - Ronaldo
    Ibrahimovic - Cassano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Buffon

Gebre Selassie
    Pepe
    Ramos
    Alba

Alonso
    Pirlo
    Ozil

Ronaldo
    Ibrahimovic
    Iniesta

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Buffon
    Lahm
    Ramos -- Hummels --- Alba-
    Khedira

Alonso -- Pirlo
    ---- Ozil
    Ronaldo ---
    Balotelli

Probably felt a bit pushed to include 3 Spanish players admittedly.

I really wanted to have Contrao in there, exceptional display for him. Was considering him over Lahm truth be told, and I'm a massive fan of the Bayern man.

Pepe, Fabregas, Cassano, Moutinho, Ibra, Pilar, Selasie, De Rossi, Gerrard, Xavi and Agger deserve notable mentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Not much love shown to the Portuguese midfield. I thought they were terrific.
    They were very good alright.
    Gebre Selassie
    I was baffled by the praise he was getting. I thought he was poor most of the time.
    Gonna go for a bit of a crazy one here.
    Buffon
    Lahm - Hummels - Pepe - Alba
    Pirlo
    Ozil - Iniesta - Ronaldo
    Ibrahimovic - Welbeck

I was more or less with you up until Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

____________Buffon__________

Periera___Pepe___Ramos___Alba

____Alonso__Pirlo__De Rossi____

Iniesta________________Ronaldo

__________Balotelli____________

Not sure on the best striker, Torres maybe. Surprised by others inclusion of Schweinsteiger and Ozil, I expected more from both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Casillas

Husyev
    Ramos
    Hummels----Alba

Khedira

Pirlo
    Ozil

----Ronaldo
    Iniesta

Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Casillas
    Arbeloa----Hummels----Ramos----Alba
    Pirlo

Sergio
    Iniesta
    Ozil
    Ronaldo
    Ibrahimovic

Honourable mentions to Buffon, Torres, Nani, Moutinho and plenty of others I guess

I was more or less with you up until Welbeck.

I didn't think there were too many other stand out players really up front. If Torres played another game or two he'd have gotten it. Gomez did absolutely nothing. Balotelli was both good and bad at the same time.

I think I might change Welbeck to Cassano actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Casillas
    Sergio Ramos Piqué Jordi Alba
    Alonso
    Busquets Pirlo
    Özil
    Ronaldo Cesc Iniesta

I know everyone’s going for Hummels, and he did have a very good tournament, but Spain conceded just the one goal and Piqué did have the better semi-final of the two.

CR is the only genuine attacker that comes to mind for me. He didn’t have a sensational tournament, but he came good in two games and then didn’t really have a chance against Spain.

Cesc because despite not playing at his best, he was crucial in Spain actually winning the tournament (goal against Italy, winning penalty against Portugal and he had a good final).

I’m not entirely sure about Özil being honest, but he was better than any RB that comes to mind, including Lahm who played at LB if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

CSF wrote: »
    Was Balotelli good in any games other than the German one? I'm struggling to think of one. Still thinking mine through.

spot on here, he played well in one game and was poor to average in the others.

he didnt get out of first gear tonight and was his worst game by some distance. very hard to pick a striker, nobody stood out so perhaps best way to go is ronaldo as the front man

Alonso
    Moutinho
    Pirlo

Ozil
    Iniesta---
    Ronaldo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

-Ade- wrote: »

Buffon
    Lahm
    Khedira

Alonso -- Pirlo
    ---- Ozil
    Ronaldo ---
    Balotelli

Probably felt a bit pushed to include 3 Spanish players admittedly.

I really wanted to have Contrao in there, exceptional display for him. Was considering him over Lahm truth be told, and I'm a massive fan of the Bayern man.

Pepe, Fabregas, Cassano, Moutinho, Ibra, Pilar, Selasie, De Rossi, Gerrard, Xavi and Agger deserve notable mentions.

Iniesta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Buffon
    Lahm
    Ramos -- Pepe --- Alba-
    Pirlo

Alonso --De Rossi
    ---- Cesc
    Iniesta ---
    Ronaldo

I think Ozil is in far too many teams on here. Dont think he stood out near as much as I had expected.

Sure isn't that the beauty of these threads, personally anyone including Alonso over Sergio baffles me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd agree, I think De Rossi was a lot better over all 6 games than either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

kryogen wrote: »
    Sure isn't that the beauty of these threads, personally anyone including Alonso over Sergio baffles me :)

Your probably right.. I personally cant stand Sergio though, so as wrong an all as it may be, I just couldnt consider him from my team :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Buffon
    Debuchy----Ramos----Pepe----Alba
    Pirlo

Moutinho
    Khedira
    Dzagoev
    Iniesta
    Ronaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

I regret picking Özil already. But is there anyone who can be picked ahead of him in that role in my team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Casillas
    Pereira-Pepe-Hummels-Alba
    Moutinho-Pirlo-Khedira
    Dzagoev-Balotelli-Iniesta

Subs from: Buffon, Neuer, Lahm, Johnson, Ramos, Italian CB's, De Rossi, Xavi, Busquets, Cesc, Veloso, Ronaldo, Torres, Cassano, Ozil, Pilar, Modric + more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

i noticed everyone who named a full 11 has put alba in their team. is it just cos he scored in the final???? for me coentrao of portugal was far better.

as the thread says "team of tournament" then surely:rolleyes:it must be spains 11 tonight......alba was good but no where near as good as coentrao imho.

if thats the case fabregas was the best striker too:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Look at Garth Crooks team

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18657918

Holy Jaysus . Glen Johnson and Steven Gerrard .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Casillas
    Lahm
    Green

Fabregas -- Pirlo
    ---- Iniesta
    Ronaldo ---
    Balotelli

i noticed everyone who named a full 11 has put alba in their team. is it just cos he scored in the final???? for me coentrao of portugal was far better.

as the thread says "team of tournament" then surely:rolleyes:it must be spains 11 tonight......alba was good but no where near as good as coentrao imho.

Alba has not had a bad game has he? And yes Coentrao was very good too, but Alba scoring the goal in the final in yet another very good performance does actually make it ok for him to be considered the best left back in the tournament.

Hardly earth shattering.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Was Lahm not poor this tournament? I know I said he wasnt world class, which I accept was wrong, although there is a lack of world class right and left backs.

I thought he was poor this tournament, I do put it down to him playing on the left instead of the natural right side.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Was Lahm not poor this tournament? I know I said he wasnt world class, which I accept was wrong, although there is a lack of world class right and left backs.

I thought he was poor this tournament, I do put it down to him playing on the left instead of the natural right side.

Lahm is a natural left back you know :)

He is comfortable on either, but his natural position is left back and he prefers left back, (been playing there since he was on loan at Stuttgart) he was not poor I think, but he was at fault for an Italian goal in the semi that really should not happen to him and that stuck with me while making my selection rightly or wrongly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jordi Alba & Coentrao had great tournaments

• Advertisement

Alba has not had a bad game has he? And yes Coentrao was very good too, but Alba scoring the goal in the final in yet another very good performance does actually make it ok for him to be considered the best left back in the tournament.

Hardly earth shattering.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

alba had prob one good game(the final)not sayin he was useless in the rest either but my point is coentrao has offered more to his team than alba does for spain sure if arbeloa scored i suppose he woulda been the best right back too:rolleyes:

Look at Garth Crooks team

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18657918

Holy Jaysus . Glen Johnson and Steven Gerrard .

It's Garth Crooks. I'm convinced he knows absolutely nothing about the game. It wouldn't have surprised me if he had 4 or 5 English players in there.

Remember that interview he did with Sven Goran Eriksson back in '06? Every person watching the game could see that the formation wasn't working, yet Garth had to lick up to Sven and say that certain people seemed to question it but it seemed to work.

It prompted Dunphy to give one of his best quotes, "ha, ha, ha, that's the first time you'll see sex between 2 men live on the BBC".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why are so many picking Hummels? He had two poor games.

alba had prob one good game(the final)not sayin he was useless in the rest either but my point is coentrao has offered more to his team than alba does for spain sure if arbeloa scored i suppose he woulda been the best right back too:rolleyes:

You appear to have memory issues sir.

Go back and watch it again, or maybe even better long term, realise that now and then, people may actually disagree with what you say and they may even be right!

one more of your buddies for ya? :rolleyes: another one? :rolleyes:

really gets the point across doesnt it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Lahm is a natural left back you know :)

I know he is but had played most of the season on the right. I thought he was poor against Portugal, and Italy.
    Jordi Alba & Coentrao had great tournaments

I know they did, but I meant in club football week in week out.
    Coentrao is a mystery, makes a lot of mistakes but could be blamed on the lack of support from others around him. I thought he was fantastic this tournament, that is why I don't think that excuse can be used for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Buffon

Lahm-- Ramos--- Agger--- Coentrao

Pirlo---- Busquets

Ozil
    Iniesta
    Ronaldo

Ibrahimovic

I kinda agree that Alba wasn't brilliant and that his goal has massively contributed to his inclusion.

You could easily make the case for a completely different 11 to the one above.
    Fantastic tournament. No striker really took it by the scruff of the neck but pretty easy to fill all the other positions.

I must've been watching different Italy games than all the people who chose Cassano. Thought he was pretty bad. He had a stroke though, so fair enough.

You appear to have memory issues sir.

Go back and watch it again, or maybe even better long term, realise that now and then, people may actually disagree with what you say and they may even be right!

one more of your buddies for ya? :rolleyes: another one? :rolleyes:

really gets the point across doesnt it :rolleyes:

im not the one wit memory issues sir, me and my buddies(:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) are entitled to our opinions too and yours along with others i respect. but my point is over the tournament alba is an easy choice cos he scored in the the final when coentrao has contributed more to his team over the tournament then alba. so my memory is fairly good i would like to think. take away his goal and i would think you might be having a diff left back in there. ok maybe not coentrao it maybe lahm or whoever but my point is alba is an easy choice cos of his goal

I know he is but had played most of the season on the right. I thought he was poor against Portugal, and Italy.

Can't say I remember anything sticking out from the Portugal game for him but he played Balotelli onside for the killer goal in that game and that was pretty poor from someone as experienced as him.

im not the one wit memory issues sir, me and my buddies(:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) are entitled to our opinions too and yours along with others i respect. but my point is over the tournament alba is an easy choice cos he scored in the the final when coentrao has contributed more to his team over the tournament then alba. so my memory is fairly good i would like to think. take away his goal and i would think you might be having a diff left back in there. ok maybe not coentrao it maybe lahm or whoever but my point is alba is an easy choice cos of his goal

If you left out some of the condescending :rolleyes: then you would find your opinion, no matter how people feel about it, will not draw such a narky reply.

If it were not for the goal I would have picked Coentrao, but the fact is that he did play in the final, he did play well and he did score a great and decisive goal! It was pretty close between him and Coentrao for me up to that point, but if you can't see the logic in why the final performance has put him over the top I can't help you.

When putting your point across you don't have to insult others for having a different view to you.

It is similar to how common thought was making Pirlo the player of the tournament, and now that has changed after the final to Iniesta, it was pretty close between them too leading into the final, with Pirlo being ahead imo, but after the final I think many now have Iniesta above him.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Buffon
    Gebre Selassie Pepe Bonucci Coentrao
    Pirlo De Rossi
    Ronaldo Ozil Iniesta
    Ibra

If you left out some of the condescending :rolleyes: then you would find your opinion, no matter how people feel about it, will not draw such a narky reply.

If it were not for the goal I would have picked Coentrao, but the fact is that he did play in the final, he did play well and he did score a great and decisive goal! It was pretty close between him and Coentrao for me up to that point, but if you can't see the logic in why the final performance has put him over the top I can't help you.

When putting your point across you don't have to insult others for having a different view to you.

if you had read my previous post you woulda seen that i stated that i respect yours and others opinions for without opinions we would have nothin to talk/argue about.

if you had read my previous post you woulda seen that i stated that i respect yours and others opinions for without opinions we would have nothin to talk/argue about.

This is respectful of others (who included Alba's) opinion?

I'm happy enough to draw a line under it.

This is respectful of others (who included Alba's) opinion?

I'm happy enough to draw a line under it.

me too,

its nice we all have opinions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jordi Alba had the assist against France too. His defending was immense and his link up with San andre sublime at times.

My team. :)
    (pardon the spellings)

Casillas(C)

Contrao, Ramos, busquets, Alba,
    Alonso, Pirlo
    Modric, xavi,
    Iniesta, Fabregas

Team Boa.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement