Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember the bookshop on eglinton street?

Options
  • 01-07-2012 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

I've no idea when, but I'm pretty certain that there used to be a bookshop on eglinton street where game was, and I'm scratching my head trying to remember what it was, I might have been pretty young when it was there. anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

Links234 wrote: »
    I've no idea when, but I'm pretty certain that there used to be a bookshop on eglinton street where game was, and I'm scratching my head trying to remember what it was, I might have been pretty young when it was there. anyone know?
    Keohanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

when did it close? anyone have any pictures of it or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

Links234 wrote: »
    when did it close? anyone have any pictures of it or anything?
    Must be at least 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Yeah defo 10+ years ago. If memory serves it had a spiral staircase half way down on the left. I think it was Smyths toy shop before that & before they moved to Woodquay and then out to the retail park. That would have been late 80s. So Keohanes would have been 90s.

Would it not have been the K&W gift shop (Keohanes & Walsh/Welsh?) before it became the bookshop 12 - 14 years ago?

Was it also a Sony Center for a while?

Anyways it is available for lease at €350,000 per quarter according to this website: http://onview.ie/520258/5_Eglinton_Street_Galway_Galway_City_Centre
    I can only imagine that there is a typo of an extra 0 in that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

It was actually the same location as the recently closed GAME. The same staircase was in that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Keohane's bookshop closed in Aug 2003. They had 2 premises, beside each other: The main shop, right beside the post office, and a second smaller premises next door. They were not adjoined. The smaller premises was given up and became the Sony Centre in 2001. The Bookshop closed fully in 2003 and Game moved in.
    Same staircase as there now. I seem to remember a spiral staircase on the left when it was K&W (80's).

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Meemars wrote: »
    Keohane's bookshop closed in Aug 2003. They had 2 premises, beside each other: The main shop, right beside the post office, and a second smaller premises next door. They were not adjoined. The smaller premises was given up and became the Sony Centre in 2001. The Bookshop closed fully in 2003 and Game moved in.
    Same staircase as there now. I seem to remember a spiral staircase on the left when it was K&W (80's).

They also had shops in Sligo and Mayo.

Advertisement