Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jap Cars: They're just sh!te.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

To say all Japanese cars are crap proves one thing. That the op doesn't have a clue about cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Paparazzo wrote: »
    To say all Japanese cars are crap proves one thing. That the op doesn't have a clue about cars.

x2 :)

you just said what i was trying to find the words for!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

There are many jap cars on my want to own / drive list. The RX8, MX5, accord Euro R, R35 GT-R....

The interior on late 90s / early 00s jap cars were horrific but I think a lot of the manufacturers have gotten their act together.

Wouldnt mind a spin in a 2012 paddy spec Corolla / Accord to see what they are like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Europeans have made their fair share of hum dingers too:
    p_Renault%20Fluence%20static%201.jpg

car_photo_209510_7.jpg

seat.toledo.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

French cars are equally crap but Asian cars just do not fit in over here, they are stripped down to the bone and what sells in Ireland is really bottom of the barrel stuff. I have been in Toyota's in Thailand and Malaysia and they are specc'd out much better than their Irish cousins. Toyota are a bland car and are aimed at a 50 something who is happy to poodle along at 60km/h, plus they have a huge advertising presence here and especially popular with rural dwellers due to their "mythical" reliability when truth be told they fold like a coke can.

VW, BMW and a few American badges are the only types I'd ever drive. I drove a Toyota Camry in Australia, wasn't sure if it was a car or a donkey I was driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Stinicker wrote: »
    French cars are equally crap but Asian cars just do not fit in over here, they are stripped down to the bone and what sells in Ireland is really bottom of the barrel stuff. I have been in Toyota's in Thailand and Malaysia and they are specc'd out much better than their Irish cousins. Toyota are a bland car and are aimed at a 50 something who is happy to poodle along at 60km/h, plus they have a huge advertising presence here and especially popular with rural dwellers due to their "mythical" reliability when truth be told they fold like a coke can.

VW, BMW and a few American badges are the only types I'd ever drive. I drove a Toyota Camry in Australia, wasn't sure if it was a car or a donkey I was driving.

Which American cars would you drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

And there we have it, American build quality has surpassed the Japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stripped down cars are as a result of our VRT system.

You should sit in a few 6 or 7 year old Audi A3/A4s so. Now they were sparcly equipped, most of their owners only dreamed of things like air con, rear electric windows or a multi-function steering wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Toyota is Aimed at 50 something to drive at 60km/h
    Ever drive a supra? Ae86 twin cam turbo?
    Gt4 celica?

• Advertisement

Just thinking, why hasn't anyone mentioned Lexus?
    Tell me they can't make a decent car, go on. :p

CianRyan wrote: »

Or Infinity.

In fact my last Nissan could have put pretty much any BMW 3 series to shame for build quality, interior feel and spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Considering that most cars are designed by people from one country, manufactured by people from a second country, under a brand owned by people from a third country it's fairly difficult to say that a particular countries car are sh!te.

And Infinity are available here now too.
    The last and current model Maxima look like great cars, I've only seen them online as they're USDM only AFAIK but there's another contender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Irish VRT/Tax system sucks, is the reason for paddy spec cars, up till afew years ago there were brand new toyotas on forecourts w/o alloy wheels ffs

Windsor Nissan have about three new Micra's with steelies outside on display.
    What's with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Or Infinity.

In fact my last Nissan could have put pretty much any BMW 3 series to shame for build quality, interior feel and spec.

What kind of Nissan was it?

Considering that most cars are designed by people from one country, manufactured by people from a second country, under a brand owned by people from a third country it's fairly difficult to say that a particular countries car are sh!te.

Agree'd, my current car has a German brand name, which is owned by an American company, has a Japanese/Italian combination engine and is built in Poland.

Who do I blame if it goes wrong?:P

high horse wrote: »
    What kind of Nissan was it?

Nissan Skyline 350GT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Japanese Bas***ds

capture012.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Nissan Skyline 350GT.

Nice.

Why didn't you replace it with another Jap car?

• Advertisement

high horse wrote: »
    Nice.

Why didn't you replace it with another Jap car?

Because I need something practical and economical for work and transporting dogs and the Japanese brands don't make anything that floats my boat while fitting these criteria.

I still have a Micra as well though:P, and the wife has a Toyota(the only Japanese built one you can buy here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

CianRyan wrote: »

To be honest I recently was in one of those (Lexus is 220) and was quite disappointed with the car. If I had money for that kind of car I would buy something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

This has to be the most stupid thread I've read on boards in a good while, i agree that all Japanese cars aren't to everyone's taste. But to come out and say that they're all ****e, is nothing more than stupidity.

Honestly Saab Ed i held you in higher regard than to post something like this from a alleged petrol head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the wife has a Toyota(the only Japanese built one you can buy here).

Apart from the Urban Cruiser, land cruiser and rav4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

:p:D

Don't really know what you're on about, drove the MX5 this weekend and it's as fabulous as ever.
    As a previous poster mentioned, Opel Corsa is a desperate yoke, so can say that all German GM cars are crap!

Mods, the op and anyone that agrees with him should be perma banned from the motors forum. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Toyota said it was the Best built car in the world. Not the best car.

Anyway. Its all about budgets. I drive what i can afford and what has a reliable engine. I dont drive far often so really I would drive a berlingo and be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I can't believe so many people a feeding the troll. That's all the OP is doing. The first post was devoid of any detail, the title equally vague with the intention, no doubt, of getting a rise from Japanese car drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It's like Anheuser-Busch, they have the worlds best brewers on staff, yet they make Budweiser. Beer for people who don't like beer.

We all know Toyota could make a great car if they wanted to, but instead they make cars for for people who hate and fear cars.

Apparently, it's a big market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I can't believe so many people a feeding the troll. That's all the OP is doing. The first post was devoid of any detail, the title equally vague with the intention, no doubt, of getting a rise from Japanese car drivers.

Agreed. Quite a bad troll I might add too. I stopped reading when it started complaining about road noise from a convertible! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

OP there are two kinds of cars in this world...good ones and bad ones. They can come from any manufacturer or any country. Ireland is unique in that the people here like to buy the worst model of any car they can find. I have to say I find a 316d far more depressing than a well specced Nissan. I find a 60k 4 cylinder merc more or a tragedy than a 20k Nissan 350z.

Yep the interiors in some jap car are not premium, then again the reliability of some German car is not premium either. You get the best car you can afford that has the characteristics you find most important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I may go sell my 12 year old Honda now, it's obviously ****e. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Jap cars are the best, shut this troll up:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

A lot of people going on the attack here?

I know Japan has given us some exceptional cars but in general I find most Japanese cars to be awful boring looking inside and out. I would rather my '99 7er than a '09 Qashqai.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    A lot of people going on the attack here?

I know Japan has given us some exceptional cars but in general I find most Japanese cars to be awful boring looking inside and out. I would rather my '99 7er than a '09 Qashqai.

Ah come on, at least pick like with like.

What would you rather, this:

saab_90_1984_sedan_2d_2106b.jpg

Or this:
    toyota-2000-gt-01.jpg

Pointless cherry picking cars for comparisons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

The ford fiesta mark7 is by far miles better than the Suzuki sx4

Ah come on, at least pick like with like.

Pointless cherry picking cars for comparisons

I wasn't really. When you include repayments and depreciation the Qashqai would cost more to run on an annual basis. A lot of people can't see past that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's like Anheuser-Busch, they have the worlds best brewers on staff, yet they make Budweiser. Beer for people who don't like beer.

We all know Toyota could make a great car if they wanted to, but instead they make cars for for people who hate and fear cars.

Apparently, it's a big market.

Exactly.
    My local pub does roaring trade in Heineken and Budweiser.
    It is painfully obvious to anyone with tastebuds that the first tastes like industrial waste and the second tastes like industrial waste that's been drunk already and recycled.
    I wonder, would anyone here say that the 1996-2002 Mazda 121 was sh*te, but the Ford Fiesta MKIV was great?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

While I wouldn't go as far as Ed I would agree that most mainstream Jap cars are just so deathly dull. Euro makers are not much better but counter with nice design details, feel good interiors and heritage/brand loyalty that we as Europeans, tend to respond to. I can't remember the last Jap car that lured me into the showroom to look around.

If Japan is not careful though they will be overtaken by the Koreans, who offer more flair, a more youthful image, better warranties and a comparable reliability/driving experience.

Increasingly it's hard to see what the Japanese have to offer as its USP.

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I wasn't really. When you include repayments and depreciation the Qashqai would cost more to run on an annual basis. A lot of people can't see past that.

In that case any luxury old car is better than any new car. I agree, and I'd rather the old car, but it's not a valid comparison to say a certain country doesn't make good cars.

In that case any luxury old car is better than any new car. I agree, and I'd rather the old car, but it's not a valid comparison to say a certain country doesn't make good cars.

I never said they make bad cars, in fact I said they've made some exceptional cars. I also said that I find most of their cars incredibly boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Hmmmm... How I missed this fun argument :pac:

I absolutely hate the stuff the Japs market for over here. Most of it is dull, plain nasty and the rest are rubbish. That's not to say they're bad cars but a fair bit of the time there are competitors with better equipped, cheaper to maintain and more reliable vehicles all rolled into one.

How in the name of goodness can anyone wake up in the morning, look into their yard to see an avensis 2.0td beside a corolla 2.0dlx and be proud of that? That's what they aspired to? A cheap feeling, nasty, unreliable, dull, back breaking lump of expensive festering rubbish? How sad! :mad:

But... When you get into a JDM car, my goodness! It's a total culture shock! I used to have a JDM Subaru Impreza wagon. Apart from it being thirsty, a tad under rust proofed and eating cv joints, I loved it! So many toys as standard, so comfortable :D it was the same sitting into other cars I'd never heard of before, quite alright... It's as if they saved the best for their own market. If more cars like that came over here, I wouldn't have such a dim view of whats currently here!

I guess the yokes we get here are the rubbish everyone else doesn't want (*cough nissan tiddler cough :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just wonder of its just badge snobbery or just plain trolling by Saab ed.
    I still can't see what car you you had drove? If you are compering corolla, avensis, primera, Almera, civic to 5 series, Saab, Volvo, merc, then you are doing it wrong. Very wrong.
    In Ireland we never got higher class jap stuff or performance stuff, because there were no demand for it. Everyone wanted cheap reliable boxes. Those who wanted more luxury were going for for europeons brands, because that's all they knew, because jap stuff was not avelable here.
    Try to drive Lexus is220, Lexus gs300, Nissan maxima etc, then compare it to europeons stuff.
    When I was still a young fella my mother drove a 91 golf and it had only heater as equipment... I bought myself a 89 Mazda 626, which had all the extras possible and power steering! Electric windows were standart, wheres golf had manual windows for ages and no power steering! Even my misses old shaped 626 coupe had electric widows!

Bashing whole jap market, because you did not liked few cars is just plain "thick". Being proud of it, is even "thicker". Saab ed, you are better then that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Oh, so the "imported" japs are accually japanise?!?! And the nissan..ect sold in ireland arnt japanise? Am I right? :o

dgt wrote: »
    How in the name of goodness can anyone wake up in the morning, look into their yard to see an avensis 2.0td beside a corolla 2.0dlx and be proud of that? That's what they aspired to? A cheap feeling, nasty, unreliable, dull, back breaking lump of expensive festering rubbish? How sad! :mad:

similar things could be said for looking out at a diesel passat and golf combo imo.

masty, unreliable, dull, back breaking, expensive festering pile of ****e. does johnos1984 still post here? he could tell you the joys of a passat.

i asume we're talking in "ten year old diesel models" here.

• Advertisement

andyseadog wrote: »
    similar things could be said for looking out at a diesel passat and golf combo imo.

masty, unreliable, dull, back breaking, expensive festering pile of ****e. does johnos1984 still post here? he could tell you the joys of a passat.

Yes, exactly. Ireland must be a breed of people seeking the most dull, boring and expensive lumps of shíte I have ever seen. Remember the 90s, everyone had a carina e or a corolla? 2 examples of hateful, awkward cars to work on (but the french are worse :pac:) with expensive parts to match. I can't see the appeal to that, I really can't.

As for asshats and the like... A very good friend of mine has a Passat highline and so far the DMF and crankshaft (yes, crankshaft) broke on his car. For a 2008 car with 90k miles, I'm certainly not impressed. Nearly 2 grand for an engine rebuild.

But yet to him it's still a great car because it's a VW... He's far from the only one...
    jackie-chan-meme-gif-487.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

No, johnos1984 closed his account a while back.

P1010258.jpg

the carina looks a real bitch to work on alright...

No, johnos1984 closed his account a while back.

viewing threads like this he may have done right, this is awful.

P1010258.jpg

the carina looks a real bitch to work on alright...

Not petrol ones, diesels. Much more room in a petrol.

You'd need a childs hand to get in at that left hand lamp without taking the light out or moving the battery. That's a very clean engine bay if I may add...

A clutch change required the subframe to be removed on a corolla 2.0d for example.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement