Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourites For The 2014 World Cup....Brazil???

• 01-07-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

You'd think after winning three tournaments in a row, Spain would be massive favourites to win the next world cup.

But no Brazil are? :confused:

I know Brazil are at home but its quite an ordinary Brazil side, certainly not one of their better teams.

Here are the odds

7/2 Brazil
    5/1 Spain
    5/1 Argentina
    8/1 Germany
    12/1 Holland
    18/1 Italy
    20/1 England
    25/1 Uruguay
    250/1 Rep of Ireland :D

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/internationals/world-cup/winner

Spain IMO need to retain a world cup before they get declared the "greatest ever". Is a European side destined the win it or perhaps a South American side this time because they are at home??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Brazil are favourites cause they are pretty good and are at home.

It would be a huge ask for this Spain team to go and win another major trophy tbh, it would not make me think any less of them if they can't manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Argentina to win this and Messi to shine like the hero he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Brazil to get to the final, just like 1950, and lose.

I fancy Brazil for this one actually, think they have and will have the players to win this, and on home turf I find it hard to oppose them. As always if the Argies get it together they could win, but it probably won't happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I would love to see Spain retain it just for the sake of it, it would be an awesome feat from a team that I could gladly say I witnessed in years to come

• Advertisement

Gandalph wrote: »
    I would love to see Spain retain it just for the sake of it, it would be an awesome feat from a team that I could gladly say I witnessed in years to come

To witness something like that would be unbelievable alright, :) imagine, just a few short years ago Spain were the ultimate underachievers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

What time will the matches be on at with the time difference etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

James__10 wrote: »

Well Rio is 4 hours behind anyway. Akin to USA94 I suppose. Group stages probably be something like 4pm, 7pm & 10pm kick offs our time. Doubt we'll see much Footie before 4/5pm with the time difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Brazil being the only team who's qualified so far might have something to do with their short odds.

Spain won't be winning this one. It's between Argentina and Brazil and Argentina happen to have the greatest player of our generation.

• Advertisement

James__10 wrote: »

The latest match will be 10pm our time.

Meh, he was the greatest last time around as well really, he cannot do it on his own.

kryogen wrote: »
    Meh, he was the greatest last time around as well really, he cannot do it on his own.

They're still a decent side....who just happen to have the greatest player in their team.

Normally, i would always be up for Brazil. I usually favour them over Argentina! But i'm so grateful to witness the greatest player i have ever seen, if not arguably the greatest of all time (it can never be proved), that i shall be cheering on Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Brazil have serious talent coming up. Neymar, Ganso, Oscar, Lucas Moura, Henrique etc.

Surprised to see high odds for Uruguay. Would put them just behind Germany.

monkey9 wrote: »
    They're still a decent side....who just happen to have the greatest player in their team.

Normally, i would always be up for Brazil. I usually favour them over Argentina! But i'm so grateful to witness the greatest player i have ever seen, if not arguably the greatest of all time (it can never be proved), that i shall be cheering on Argentina.

You mention his greatness an awful lot :D

Argentina, if they pull it together, can beat anybody. The same was said about Spain for years until they made the break through, until Argentina actually go and do it they will have doubters.

You are aware Messi was great 2 years ago? And they did have a pretty good team then too!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina all have to be considered real contenders in this one. Obviously Spain, Germany and Netherlands too. Possibly Chile could go far.

Would reflect very badly on South American soccer if the tournament is dominated by Europeans. If Spain win that would be 3 European winners in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Brazil being the only team who's qualified so far might have something to do with their short odds.

I doubt it... It's not like Spain or Germany aren't going to qualify.

Belgium could cause a shock too imo. Havent seen their group though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Spain wont win it. Surely there run will end and someone will get lucky against them. I think Brazil. Neymar, Hulk etc will be that bit older and with it in there own country, they should do it.
    Brazil Spain final!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I fancy a South American team, probably Brazil or Argentina, to win. Uruguay's chance was in '10. The fact that a European team has never won in South America in 5 tries is enough to put me off. As brilliant as Spain are I can't see them being able to retain the trophy. Of all the European teams I think Germany will do the best.

It's either Brazil or Argentina for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Spain have already bucked the trend that no European team could win the World Cup outside Europe. I wouldn't put it past them to go to Brazil and win there too. It would be the ultimate challenge tho. Generally when the tournament is held in one of the historically top footballing countries (Argentina , Brazil , England , France , Germany , Italy , Spain , Uruguay ) the win generally goes to that nation or another from the same continent.

Ah that was South Africa, it didnt count :p

No team outside South America has ever won it on the continent of America :)

I fancy a South American team, probably Brazil or Argentina, to win. Uruguay's chance was in '10. The fact that a European team has never won in South America in 5 tries is enough to put me off. As brilliant as Spain are I can't see them being able to retain the trophy. Of all the European teams I think Germany will do the best.

I reckon if you give the current German squad 2 years to mature they'll easily be able to handle Brazil and Argentina who have been very hit and miss for almost the last ten years. They won't have anywhere near the control of the game that Spain would have and Germany are very potent attackers. I think it's very likely we'll get a European winner, although I'm hoping for un país de latin-america.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Go URUGUAY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mexico look underrated there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I'd pretty much agree with all of that. If Spain were to go and win it in Brazil that would be an absolutely remarkable achievement and surely cement their status as the greatest of all time, but that would be asking alot. Germany have alot of excellent young players and they will be ready to mount a serious challenge down there. I fully expected them to reach the final this year and was disappointed with the way they got knocked out but there's alot of years left in that group of players and they will learn from it.

You'd have to think that with it being in South America that Brazil and Argentina will be all out to win it, with extra motivations with Brazil being at home, and it's so long since Argentina won it. With Messi entering his peak, this is the best chance in a long time for Argentina to win it, but I have some reservations about them. They have a sensational group of forwards but I'd worry about them defensively. It's been a while since I seen them properly so that could be completely unfounded though!

Brazil would be my pick at this very early stage. They have some unreal young talent and will be eager to impress playing at home. Even though it's 2 years away it seems like it's set up for Neymar to put on a show and then move to a club in Europe like Barca. If he performs to his supposed potential he could well lead Brazil to the title. Mind you the same could of course be said of Messi! For all the people that claim he needs to lead Argentina to a World Cup like Maradona did to be considered the greatest ever, this could be his chance(not that I necessarily think that myself). It will be very interesting, but a long time yet before it, anything could happen!

Jernal wrote: »
    Mexico look underrated there.

Ah Mexico, one of the biggest underachievers in football history. I wouldn't give them a chance at the moment, they have quite a nice team but that's it, any of the European teams with a decent defense will knock em out. I don't understand how they're not good though. It's all everyone plays, and I've seen first hand how good the kids are(would absolutely destroy the average Irish team in a match) but have never seemed to be able to produce a good team. The crime situation is obviously a factor but it is in Brazil too so I don;t know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Do people think the Spanish team will alter much for 2014? Granted that players may drop off form or others may gain form, but looking at the age of the relevant team the only person who looks of retire-able age is Xavi

I think Javi Martinez will have forced his way in somehow (dunno how yet :))

There are a few guys who are coming up that will be pushing for spots alright, but the core of that team is still at a good age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Argentina, if they pull it together, can beat anybody. The same was said about Spain for years until they made the break through, until Argentina actually go and do it they will have doubters.

You are aware Messi was great 2 years ago? And they did have a pretty good team then too!

They were fcked from the off with Maradonna in charge though. Who's their manager now? Hopefully somebody who has a clue what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Spain are head and shoulders above anybody else right now. Until i see something to convince me otherwise, i'll stick with them like i did before the Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Spain IMO need to retain a world cup before they get declared the "greatest ever".

Nothing personal but this stuff drives me mad.

IMO, it'll take a real team to beat Spain, not just Neymar or Messi on form. Germany the only real contenders based on anything we've actually seen in international matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Spain won't win it if they play the same system as at the Euros. Brazil would beat them for a number of reasons, the main one being they have wingers and strikers.

David Villa was absolutely crucial to Spain winning it last time around, when he got shut off in the final against Holland, the game nearly went to penalties. Portugal showed how you're supposed to play against the Spanish and they only lost out on penos as well.

If heat was supposed to affect Spanish players in Poland and Ukraine this year, I can't imagine what it will do to fatigue in Brazil, considering how there are more games to be played as well.

Brazilian fans are one of the most passionate in the world and they will get behind their team, body and heart. Unless it's a miracle like in 1950, I can't see Spain getting through Brazil. They will probably reach the semis, but lose to either the hosts, Argentina or a revenge-hungry German team.

I can see Mexico reaching the semis somehow too, and maybe Portugal - they will feel right at home in Brazil :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

Spain won't win it if they play the same system as at the Euros. Brazil would beat them for a number of reasons, the main one being they have wingers and strikers.

David Villa was absolutely crucial to Spain winning it last time around, when he got shut off in the final against Holland, the game nearly went to penalties. Portugal showed how you're supposed to play against the Spanish and they only lost out on penos as well.

If heat was supposed to affect Spanish players in Poland and Ukraine this year, I can't imagine what it will do to fatigue in Brazil, considering how there are more games to be played as well.

Brazilian fans are one of the most passionate in the world and they will get behind their team, body and heart. Unless it's a miracle like in 1950, I can't see Spain getting through Brazil. They will probably reach the semis, but lose to either the hosts, Argentina or a revenge-hungry German team.

I can see Mexico reaching the semis somehow too, and maybe Portugal - they will feel right at home in Brazil :D

I think its very difficult to say that Spain will not win the World Cup they have an excellent chance. They played a brand new system and when they needed to turn it on they did. Spain beat every team in Europe with that system and there are only a few very good teams outside of Europe they will have to play against with it. If Spain play the way they did last night in Brazil it is very hard to see who will beat them. They will only have to play Brazil once to win the tournament.

The heat wont be an issue in Brazil, its winter down there for the tournament.

Portugal deserved to win over 90 minutes but Spain created the better chances in the 90 as well. Patricio had to make several great saves to keep his team in it, dont remember any outstanding saves from Casillas. In extra time, Spain blew Portugal away.

Its hard to see Brazil losing in their home patch but the tournament is two years away. The Germans will push for it again but if the tournament was played today I would have to have Spain as favorites. Their squad has the most dept, sure Mata only got 5 minutes in the whole tournament. Most of the starting eleven would walk into any national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

England and Italy are shorter odds than Uruguay.

Ok then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Woohoo another winter World Cup :)

Spain have a nice wee easy group to qualify, so they really should be at least equal with Brazil to win it out right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Wouldn't rule Chile out either in making a real deep run. After Spain I think they play the most fluid football in world football, so easy on the eye. Lots of these lads grew up in youth squads together and now coming to an age where their massive potential should turn into success. The likes of Vidal, Sanchez, Isla, Medel all very experienced at international level despite only hitting their mid 20's, and serious prospects such as Eduardo Vargas should be breaking into the squad by 2014. Their topping the South American qualification table currently so should qualify handily IMO. Also being used to playing at altitude can't be under estimated in this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Think Brazil are rightly favourites. Spain were outstanding last night but they still could've been knocked out of the group stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Woohoo another winter World Cup :)

It's winter in Brazil today, Rio will hit 27 degrees.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Chuffed that I got on Uruguay during and after Copa America @ 40/1 and 33/1 (more money on the latter), was always gonna be a sound long term investment. The odds at present are 20/1 - 25/1 will be closer to 14/1 come 2 years time. Maybe even 10/1.

For me it's between themselves, Brazil, Argentina (now Messi really is the focal point) and Spain. Still believe in Germany but I'd like to see where the squad is in a years time in relation to a few positions.

• Advertisement

ozzy jr wrote: »
    It's winter in Brazil today, Rio will hit 27 degrees.

Yep those cities near the North and beside the sea will be fine.

Those to the South will be colder

It will not be as cold as South Africa ,which will lead to the English press going on about comfy conditions if they get there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Zambia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

hefferboi wrote: »

Why, are they up to their old tricks ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'd put my money on Germany. Presuming they hold off Sweden for second place in the qualifying group and get through the playoffs of course.

Nice group of

Croatia
    Serbia
    Belgium
    Scotland
    Macedonia
    Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

How do they come up with these odds? There are 16 and 17 year old lads whos names we have never heard and whom the bookies have never heard of who are going to be stars in this tourno, and they are giving odds already with absolutely no idea of who is going to even play in the tournament?:confused: Might as well just pick names and bets on prior reputation- if we did that this year it would have been a Spain vs Holland final with RVP top goalscorer :confused:

Nice group of

Croatia
    Serbia
    Belgium
    Scotland
    Macedonia
    Wales

They could top that group and easily qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

How do they come up with these odds? There are 16 and 17 year old lads whos names we have never heard and whom the bookies have never heard of who are going to be stars in this tourno, and they are giving odds already with absolutely no idea of who is going to even play in the tournament?:confused: Might as well just pick names and bets on prior reputation- if we did that this year it would have been a Spain vs Holland final with RVP top goalscorer :confused:
    Calm down there,it's 2 years away,not some time in the distant future in a galaxy far far away.
    How many 18/19 year old international superstars are you actually expecting to burst on to the scene and oust all those seasoned,tried and tested regulars??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Brazil are favourites cause they are pretty good and are at home.

It would be a huge ask for this Spain team to go and win another major trophy tbh, it would not make me think any less of them if they can't manage it.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Spain won't be winning this one. It's between Argentina and Brazil and Argentina happen to have the greatest player of our generation.

Why do you think Spain won't win it again? People seem to believe that their "luck" will run out. Luck has very little to do with it. There a brilliant team with brilliant individuals. They are also Under 21 & Under 19 champions as well so they potentially have a whole group of new talented young players coming through looking to make their own history in 2014.

Probably had half a chance only for Diego Maradonna!

It's a whole two years away. They could change their formation completely by then. Even if they don't, Portugal played with Ronaldo and Nani on either flank and they never really caused too much problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Nice group of

Croatia
    Serbia
    Belgium
    Scotland
    Macedonia
    Wales

They could top that group and easily qualify.
    Maybe they have matured more as a team because they have been poor in the last couple qualifications

• Advertisement
Advertisement