Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child of 3 adhd

Options
  • 01-07-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

im a mother of two my youngest is nearly 3 and recently my little boys behaviour is a bit out of character he throws his dinner on they floor he hits me pulls my hair smashes toys ..
    He is not able to sit to do most games or stay quiet just to name a few along with being aggressive & answering back alot time out doesnt work becuz when u put him in he hits out and screams .

People have said its just the terrible two's but it just seems to be ticking all the box's,

Any advise??

Many thanks (Steve's partner) Georgina :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Bring him to your PHN and ask for an assessment of needs to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

And don't take no for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Bring him to your PHN and ask for an assessment of needs to be done.

Assessment of Needs is sometimes a bit disjointed-the co-ordinator accesses professionals who will assess your child but the professionals are usually not working together and so don't come together as a team to give advice or diagnose the child. (Bearing in mind that I don't think they'll diagnose ADHD in a child as young as yours, although that doesn't mean that they can't do anything for him).
    You will probably therefore get more from getting your child assessed by a team of professionals. There will be a CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service) service in a hospital/department near you and there they can assess and work with the family and your child as a team. I think you would get much more out of this approach.
    You usually have to get a professional to make the referral, I'm not sure if your PHN can do this. I assume they can.

Best of luck :)

See here for example
    http://www.mater.ie/services/depts/c/camhs/who-do-we-see/

Advertisement