Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highest Roads in Kilkenny

Options
  • 02-07-2012 12:00am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if you guys knew or even could suggest some high roads (elevation wise) in Kilkenny?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The road leading from Graiguenamanagh up to the mountain. Then from there on into Inistoige. The hill that leads into Inistoige is very steep from what I can remember.

If you're cycling, as I presume you will be, don't do it in the wet. I tried back in TY and I wore the break pads down on my bike. Had to get off before Inistoige. If I didn't I wouldn't be here today. I did get back on the bike at Thomastown and cycled like a mad man from there into Bennettsbridge. I've no idea of average speeds or anything, but I was going very fast. Not a hope of me being able to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Don't know the highest. But off the top of my head, on top of Kiltorcan hill around Ballyhale. 200m-ish.

H0ROD.png

Street view: http://goo.gl/maps/KvFx

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Jimmy, the hill is Coppanagh and it's on the Tour de Kilkenny. Can be fairly hairy alright. Coco, that looks like a nice hill and exactly what I'm looking for, I'll scout it in the morning before I take the club up there. I know what evil little route I've planned for their last evening out, Kane's Bridge, Comer and either Ballyraggett or Muckalee but that won't be for some time yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Then from there on into Inistoige. The hill that leads into Inistoige is very steep from what I can remember.

God yeah that hill is steep especially when ur drunk walking up it. The first time i met the girlfriends parents was in the pub in inistioge and we had a few drinks and ended up walking up that hill, drunk, out of breath, tired, and worst of all i couldnt show myself up in front of the country folk it would give us city peeps a bad rep so i had to pretend like it wasnt a bother.....needless to say the next morning the sore limbs out weighed the sore head. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Out round Tullaroan would be good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

^this

The roads near the "cragg" must be fairly high up!
    Wouldn't be able to give directions but it's kind of between Kilmanagh/Tullaroan/Urlingford.

Lots of nice quiet country roads at high elevation with lovely views in Castlewarren/ Muckalee/ Johnswell areas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Took a look at Kiltorcan, the surface is pretty rough between Jerpoint and Kiltorcan but I could take the group up that way and they could descend into Ballyhale, will be interesting, they're not going to like me for taking them all these hills :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Is it possible to use (google earth) elevation profile like below to set out trials.
    The one below is of Muckalee and head for the hills to 300 Mts
    Can't vouch for the quality of the surface.

7489086234_5e22df7525_o.jpg

Took a look at Kiltorcan, the surface is pretty rough between Jerpoint and Kiltorcan but I could take the group up that way and they could descend into Ballyhale, will be interesting, they're not going to like me for taking them all these hills :D

You can also start that hill from just before you enter Ballyhale village, its even steeper. After the top of the hill past the golf course take a right and you go back down and come out about 1 or 2 km after ballyhale on the old main road.

• Advertisement

cocoshovel wrote: »
    You can also start that hill from just before you enter Ballyhale village, its even steeper. After the top of the hill past the golf course take a right and you go back down and come out about 1 or 2 km after ballyhale on the old main road.

I took the group up from Jerpoint and came down by the golf course. It was a very good suggestion, thanks. Here's the link to the route we took, it's fairly slow as we stop after hills to regroup, punctures etc......

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Is it possible to use (google earth) elevation profile like below to set out trials.
    The one below is of Muckalee and head for the hills to 300 Mts
    Can't vouch for the quality of the surface.

I use a site called www.mapmyride.com for elevation etc.....

I took the group up from Jerpoint and came down by the golf course. It was a very good suggestion, thanks. Here's the link to the route we took, it's fairly slow as we stop after hills to regroup, punctures etc......

good job. Was it steep enough for you? Im no cyclist but when I ever cycle it I just give up and walk :pac:. Havent cycled it in years though

cocoshovel wrote: »
    good job. Was it steep enough for you? Im no cyclist but when I ever cycle it I just give up and walk :pac:. Havent cycled it in years though

I'm saving the steep stuff for later :pac: It was fast enough to come down, 55kph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    ^this

The roads near the "cragg" must be fairly high up!
    Wouldn't be able to give directions but it's kind of between Kilmanagh/Tullaroan/Urlingford.

It's all just over 300m around there but the roads wouldnt be great for cycling on. Although there are some very steep climbs in the area as it comes up from Urlingford's level sharply in places. Johnswell area is over 300m as well and the roads would be better suited to cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The road from Graiguenamanagh to Dungarvan is very high, and great views too.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Head out towards Johnswell from the ring road. Go through the first crossroads. Take the next right (signposted Gowran I think). Follow that road and it'll take you up a decent climb at Ballysallagh Hill and on to Reevanagh. The elevation here is around 175m. Keep going straight to take you to Kane's Bridge. Then left for Comer or right for Castlewarren / Paulstown.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Kilkenny -> Gowran -> Dungarvan
    Turn left at church in Dungarvan, then quick right around the graveyard and onwards to Copenagh. Make it up the long, straight, intimidating hill (and have a bottle of guinness in Drea's pub?), turn right at the pub towards Thomastown. Turn right off this road for Kilfane, Bennettsbridge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Glendine back in the 90's used to be one of the highest streets in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Glendine back in the 90's used to be one of the highest streets in the county.

Higher than High Street?

• Advertisement

Formosa wrote: »
    Higher than High Street?

Boom, boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Yea back then High Street was just called 'Street'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Boom, boom.

...let me hear you say wayo.

WAYOOOOOO!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm saving the steep stuff for later :pac: It was fast enough to come down, 55kph

ppfffttt Captain, you should be doing 55 on the flat! :pac:

ppfffttt Captain, you should be doing 55 on the flat! :pac:

Yeah. There's a site some of you will be familiar with called strava, basically you load up training cycles and runs from your GPS tracker. There's challenges and a thing called segments. Segments are as you can imagine a segment of road, it could be a climb or decent stretch of road, check out the M9 roundabout to Springhill, who's no.1 and his average speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah. There's a site some of you will be familiar with called strava, basically you load up training cycles and runs from your GPS tracker. There's challenges and a thing called segments. Segments are as you can imagine a segment of road, it could be a climb or decent stretch of road, check out the M9 roundabout to Springhill, who's no.1 and his average speed.

I was only joking Captain ;)
    Fair play on that segment, seriously impressive speed, Kudos! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

+1 for tullaroan. Boggan, Grance crag, grange castle... You can go left at tullaroan, up kyle hill, right at gortnagap. Lovely view.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Not sure the highest but must be up there with the steepest climb, the road across to Windgap from Killamery would be a serious test for any local cyclist.

Advertisement