Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do (some) smokers think it's acceptable to drop their butts on the ground?

• 02-07-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭

I recently witnessed a woman at a bus-stop give out to her son for littering, rightfully so.

But 2 minutes later she finished her smoke and threw the butt away!

I see this all the time, people finish their smokes and, without thinking about it, just throw their butts on the ground. Why do they feel this is acceptable? I'm pretty sure if I was drinking a can of Coke and threw the empty can down I wouldn't be viewed very well!

Does anyone else notice this? It's not as if there aren't public bins all over the place? And sections specifically for butts? Even if there weren't, it doesnt excuse just throwing them on the ground.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The smokers are always the craziest dancers

They might not necessarily think it's OK, they probably don't care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I remember being a smoker myself and ya its true the amount of times you would throw the cig butt away afterwards is shocking,i never even conciously thought about it until now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Because there are no ashtrays around. Bad enough we have to smoke outside these days, now you want us to carry unlit smoke butts around until we find an ashtray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's not as if there aren't public bins all over the place? And sections specifically for butts?

There aren't anywhere near enough bins in most places. And I'm not going to carry the butts round until I do find one, have you ever smelt a pack with a butt in? Jesus Christ, the smell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

If they had any consideration for others they wouldnt smoke in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

I tend to flick them away from me, just cause I can,.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Because there are no ashtrays around. Bad enough we have to smoke outside these days, now you want us to carry unlit smoke butts around until we find an ashtray.

Isnt that why bins were invented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yes!

If I had a Coke can, i'd hold it until I came across a bin. You expect me to just throw it on the ground?

There are bins everywhere!

brummytom wrote: »
    There aren't anywhere near enough bins in most places. And I'm not going to carry the butts round until I do find one, have you ever smelt a pack with a butt in? Jesus Christ, the smell.

You make it sound worse than the smell of smoke on your clothes and breath when you've finished.

• Advertisement

Isnt that why bins were invented?

Bins on fire are an awful waste of firemans budget . Think about the austerity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Has nobody made a pun about butts yet:eek:

Well, if you're stupid enough to put a lit cigarette into the bin, I suppose littering is the least of your worries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Has nobody made a pun about butts yet:eek:

Post #2..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Is it a litering offence to throw a butt from a car? Dirty fcukers make me cringe when I see it.

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Post #2..
    Ah I get it now:D
    Was way over my head when I read it first time:o

Not enough bins OP so it becomes habit.

Well, if you're stupid enough to put a lit cigarette into the bin, I suppose littering is the least of your worries!
    Littering is the least of my worries ,yes. Its down there with global warming and stuff. I only litter smokebutts. You wont catch cancer off an unlit smokebutt.

Unless you eat it maybe.

You might want to think about smoking the cigarette first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

I recently witnessed a woman at a bus-stop give out to her son for littering, rightfully so.

But 2 minutes later she finished her smoke and threw the butt away!

I see this all the time, people finish their smokes and, without thinking about it, just throw their butts on the ground. Why do they feel this is acceptable? I'm pretty sure if I was drinking a can of Coke and threw the empty can down I wouldn't be viewed very well!
    Does anyone else notice this? It's not as if there aren't public bins all over the place? And sections specifically for butts? Even if there weren't, it doesnt excuse just throwing them on the ground.

Next time dont bin the empty can, offer your services to nearby smokers, cans make great ashtrays.

Not enough bins OP so it becomes habit.

You haven't got a bin at home?

There are bins in everyone's house, bins in shops, bins outside shops, bins in the street, bins everywhere.

Honestly, people saying there aren't enough bins must be living in the desert! there are bins everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It's probably just a subconscious thing for them. Like for me, chewing gum is my cigarette. Could go through two packets of green extra in a day. If I'm in school or at home I'll throw it in the bin or leave it on a book or something (I know filthy) but if I'm in the middle of the town or something I admit there has been times where I've sneakily dropped it on the ground. For me I was aware of what I was doing. But it's just to get rid of the bloody thing. I imagine smokers just want to get the useless part out of their sight...but just in case someone brings it up, I've trained myself to wrap my old chewing gum up in tissue paper and put it in my pocket until I'm near a bin :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

If it makes you feel any better, I **** the damned coke on the ground also. I smoke weed then spit in grannies faces too. Nothing you can do to stop me neither.

There are bins in everyone's house, bins in shops, bins outside shops, bins in the street, bins everywhere.

Honestly, people saying there aren't enough bins must be living in the desert! there are bins everywhere!

Ok so you are saying its ok to feed my butts to the dessert. I feed my butt to the camel . This is a big reassurance for me . No more butt on camel action. Their tongue is not smooth.

Ok so you are saying its ok to feed my butts to the dessert. I feed my butt to the camel . This is a big reassurance for me . No more butt on camel action. Their tongue is not smooth.

You missed a great opportunity for a Camel Cigarettes pun there somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I suppose you are perfect are you?

How is it inconsiderate exactly?

You missed a great opportunity for a Camel Cigarettes pun there somewhere!
    It would have been too obvious if I mentioned the brand . I am that cowboy fella that smoked the marlboro.

• Administrators Posts: 54,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are you one of those people that goes out into the smoking area in pubs for a chat and then moans about the smell and passive smoking?

hondasam wrote: »
    I suppose you are perfect are you?

How is it inconsiderate exactly?

Because;

No-one wants to see your nasty cigarette butts everywhere, it's disgusting.

and somebody actually has to pick them up after you. Fun for them I'm sure.

Because;

A job for them Im sure.

• Advertisement

Because;

No one has to pick up after me because I use an ashtray or a bin.

I should not smoke in case it offends you and this poster ?

A job for them Im sure.

No it's voluntary groups like Tidy Towns etc. They don't get paid..

hondasam wrote: »
    No one has to pick up after me because I use an ashtray or a bin.

I should not smoke in case it offends you and this poster ?

Did you even read the title??

That's the entire point of the thread.

No it's voluntary groups like Tidy Towns etc. :rolleyes:
    They are volunteering to pick up my smoke butts? There are far more deserving charities that need helping. They could be giving homeless people soup.

Did you even read the title??

That's the entire point of the thread.

What is ?

Is the point about litter or smokers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

When ever there is a smoking thread. The anti-smokers jump out of the wood work :rolleyes:

sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Actually on the MdS Marathon des Sables there are a lot of smokers, they give you a little ashtray that clips to your backpack. I did not use mine, still have it.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Actually on the MdS Marathon des Sables there are a lot of smokers, they give you a little ashtray that clips to your backpack. I did not use mine, still have it.
    Jaysus you take me back to my early twenties, was picking sand out of my eyes for two weeks after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

If I'm right beside a bin I'll put it into it but if I'm not I'm hardly going to carry it around :L There's only one bin at the shops where I live and what if I'm not going to the shops? I'm not going to walk up there just to put a butt in the bin :L

Don't give a damn about the environment and give even less of a damn about the people who constantly whinge about smokers, you'd swear we were all wicked people or something. People think they are better morally than smokers and it's just not true.

I don't even notice butts on the ground and it's far from disgusting, that's an overreaction.

I don't smoke.

What I'm saying is it's habit, by some people at least.
    People who work outdoors, for example in construction would generally not have access to rubbish bins.

I know there is no bin at the bus stop I use and none on the way to my estate either.

Also a lot of bins in town are over flowing most of the day.

I'm not saying it's right or excusable for people to throw them on the ground, rather giving you some possible reasons as to why people do.

Don't give a damn about the environment and give even less of a damn about the people...........

Well there's one answer!

• Advertisement

Jaysus you take me back to my early twenties, was picking sand out of my eyes for two weeks after it.

I know Iwas in my late 30s, but would love to go back:( At least you can have a smoke in piece, even though your doing a min of 6 marathon in 5 days. Oh the joy

I know Iwas in my late 30s, but would love to go back:( At least you can have a smoke in piece, even though your doing a min of 6 marathon in 5 days. Oh the joy

Marlboro funded me to do it as part of the cowboy promo . I had to stop for photo opps every few miles and smoke in the pics . It was very gruelling . I got to see amzing parts of the world though .

Marlboro funded me to do it as part of the cowboy promo . I had to stop for photo opps every few miles and smoke in the pics . It was very gruelling . I got to see amzing parts of the world though .

I smoke Gitanes, if ever anyone should have gotton sponsorship I think the person who smoke French smokes deserved it;)

I smoke Gitanes, if ever anyone should have gotton sponsorship I think the person who smoke French smokes deserved it;)

I finished 27th before the sponsorship , I think I deserved it. To be honest I didnt smoke marlboro at the time either. There was a picture of me lighting a smoke as soon as I finished and it lead to all sorts of offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I smoke rollies so my butts are biodegradable and are hardly noticeable at all. Even then if I was smoking a cigarette I would never put it into a bin because even if it's not actually lit it can still be smouldering under the ashes and could be a fire hazard. If there is a designated bin for cigarette butts I always put them in that when I can.

Tobacco companies should really invent a biodegradable butt.

Great idea , but would it be worth the investment in the technology . They will never do something on moral grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

brummytom wrote: »

Thats what you smell like to a non smoker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Sindri wrote: »
    I smoke rollies so my butts are biodegradable and are hardly noticeable at all. Even then if I was smoking a cigarette I would never put it into a bin because even if it's not actually lit it can still be smouldering under the ashes and could be a fire hazard. If there is a designated bin for cigarette butts I always put them in that when I can.

Tobacco companies should really invent a biodegradable butt.

You can roll out the tip of the cigarette by squeezing the butt and rotating it between your thumb and finger. With normal cigarettes the smoldering tip will fall out, burn up into ash and scatter within 30 seconds (and it's all biodegradable anyway) and you can then just bin the filter.

I haven't figured out how to do this with rollies with filters though. I guess I can just rip it open, throw the biodegradable stuff that'll burn away and bin the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

How long would you carry around a flaming piece of cellulose acetate for?

Surely it is inevitable that some end up on the ground.

How long would you carry around a flaming piece of cellulose acetate for?

Flaming? How did you manage to type this post whilst not possessing the intelligence to know that you'd extinguish the cigarette first?
    Surely it is inevitable that some end up on the ground.

Not the point. The point is, why do people think it's acceptable?

• Advertisement
Advertisement