Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do (some) smokers think it's acceptable to drop their butts on the ground?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The point is, why do people think it's acceptable?

I think it's acceptable because I don't see anything wrong with it. No ones ever died from a butt being on the ground.

Why do people think it's not acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think it's acceptable because I don't see anything wrong with it. No ones ever died from a butt being on the ground.

Why do people think it's not acceptable?

Nobody ever died from grown men sh*tting in people's front gardens, but it's not acceptable to do it! Your logic is puerile at best.

Do you think litter is acceptable? To just throw your rubbish on the ground?

Nobody ever died from grown men sh*tting in people's front gardens, but it's not acceptable to do it! Your logic is puerile at best.

Do you think litter is acceptable? To just throw your rubbish on the ground?

Sh*t is completely to tiny cigarette butts.
    I haven't got a problem with litter tbh. It doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Sh*t is completely to tiny cigarette butts.
    I haven't got a problem with litter tbh. It doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Well it's no wonder why you find throwing butts around acceptable!

Well it's no wonder why you find throwing butts around acceptable!

But no one has said why it isn't acceptable? :L

But no one has said why it isn't acceptable? :L

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0012/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I always bin my fag butt. Often carry it around for a good while until I find a bin

Oh, the law says it so I better not do it. :rolleyes: The law also states that it's illegal to walk through trinity without a sword. It's acceptable in my opinion, until you get caught :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If I'm right beside a bin I'll put it into it but if I'm not I'm hardly going to carry it around :L There's only one bin at the shops where I live and what if I'm not going to the shops? I'm not going to walk up there just to put a butt in the bin :L

Don't give a damn about the environment and give even less of a damn about the people who constantly whinge about smokers, you'd swear we were all wicked people or something. People think they are better morally than smokers and it's just not true.

I don't even notice butts on the ground and it's far from disgusting, that's an overreaction.

would you like a free hug?

• Advertisement

Oh, the law says it so I better not do it. :rolleyes:

Yup, that's how society works.
    The law also states that it's illegal to walk through trinity without a sword.

Which law is this now? Care to provide some evidence? A link to the law perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

You missed a great opportunity for a Camel Cigarettes pun there somewhere!

85% of Male smokers who try Camel go back to women.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Just a quick fyi, irishstatutebook is not a consolidated version of any legislation, it provides the non-amended act. If your going to ask other people to provide laws (of trinity, it's bye laws or otherwise), the least you can do is provide accurate law.

As for your little poke at my intelligence, I was making a simple point that cigarettes burn and people wont hold on to them. As for your suggestion of putting them out, not only will they continue to smell but people have no place to put them out out - unless you're willing to offer your forehead, I wouldn't object to that. Burning or not, smoking is an awful addiction and when finished with a cigarette a smoker will not continue to hold onto a dirty tar soaked stinking filter once their craving is satisfed.

I can understand a case for punishing a throwing one from a car as an ashtray is readily available or in Dublin where bins are plentiful, but perhaps the finger would be better pointed at various local authorities. The problem with cigarette litter seems to have worsened since the smoking ban. Smoking was herded out to the footpath and proper provision wasn't made.

I know it's not a strong argument but the question was 'Why do smokers think it's acceptable to drop their butts on the ground?' and this is my suggestion.

...Another reason may be that it is an extention of every smokers good natured contribution to society (via tax) by keeping someone in a job through littering.

Just a quick fyi, irishstatutebook is not a consolidated version of any legislation, it provides the non-amended act. If your going to ask other people to provide laws (of trinity, it's bye laws or otherwise), the least you can do is provide accurate law.

I was never asked to provide a law. I was asked why it was considered unacceptable. Try to keep up champ ;)
    As for your little poke at my intelligence, I was making a simple point that cigarettes burn and people wont hold on to them.

Cigarettes burn eh? Thanks for clearing that up! ;)
    As for your suggestion of putting them out, not only will they continue to smell but people have no place to put them out out

Yes they do. there are many many ways to put out a cigarette. There was a simple and effective way described in this thread. Again champ, what did we say about keeping up?
    Burning or not, smoking is an awful addiction and when finished with a cigarette a smoker will not continue to hold onto a dirty tar soaked stinking filter once their craving is satisfed.

We've established this. Hence the thread!
    I can understand a case for punishing a throwing one from a car as an ashtray is readily available or in Dublin where bins are plentiful, but perhaps the finger would be better pointed at various local authorities.

You're right! It's the local authorities fault that people choose to litter! It's so obvious! Forget about a person's freedom to choose their actions, it's the authorities!

...Another reason may be that it is an extention of every smokers good natured contribution to society (via tax) by keeping someone in a job through littering.

Jesus Titty-F*cking Christ! I can't even be sarcastic anymore! I just facepalmed so hard I think my eyebrow is hanging off!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

brummytom wrote: »
    There aren't anywhere near enough bins in most places. And I'm not going to carry the butts round until I do find one, have you ever smelt a pack with a butt in? Jesus Christ, the smell.

and the smell doesn't turn you off smoking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

cloptrop wrote: »
    Because there are no ashtrays around. Bad enough we have to smoke outside these days, now you want us to carry unlit smoke butts around until we find an ashtray.

Em yes, its your disgusting habit. Why should everyone else and the environment suffer because of your selfish, unhealthy, polluting, vile habit.

Ah the plight of the poor smokers.

Theres no ashtrays for us so we litter.
    Poor us now we have to smoke outside so non smokers dont inhale our second hand smoke.

blah blah blah the poor smokers.

You have every right to do what ever unhealthy things you want to your body, just as long as your not effecting anyone else. Cross that line, any argument you have has no credibility!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It doesn't matter how many bins are around. Some smokers refuse to use them. I once saw someone smoking outside a pub. He was standing right beside one of those cigarette disposal bins. Instead of using it he walked about ten feet up the road, dropped the butt on the ground and walked back. :confused:

I've been hit by cigarette butts on a few occasions too. A few times were when I was walking past a shop and someone was smoking in the doorway, a few were when I was walking past parked cars. It sickens me how little consideration smokers show for other people.

Then there are people that smoke outside their places of work and flick their ashes and butts on the ground. These people know they're going to be smoking. Would it be too much to ask for them to buy an ashtray and bring it outside with them? Even a bit of tinfoil would do the job. I suppose that would be expecting too much though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

A while back a woman was walking in front of me smoking, and the way the wind was blowing it was blowing back in my face :mad:

then she throws it on the ground with a bit of ash still on it and all.
    so I pick it up, come up behind her and dump it in the hood of her coat without her noticing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Like other posters if there is a bin near me I'll use it otherwise it goes on the ground. There are worse things on the ground like syringes and dog sh1t and even used condoms:eek:
    Weirdly I try not to throw gum on the ground as I seen a picture of what happens to birds if they swallow it :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I recently witnessed a woman at a bus-stop give out to her son for littering, rightfully so.

But 2 minutes later she finished her smoke and threw the butt away!

I see this all the time, people finish their smokes and, without thinking about it, just throw their butts on the ground. Why do they feel this is acceptable? I'm pretty sure if I was drinking a can of Coke and threw the empty can down I wouldn't be viewed very well!

Does anyone else notice this? It's not as if there aren't public bins all over the place? And sections specifically for butts? Even if there weren't, it doesnt excuse just throwing them on the ground.

I agree OP, after I finish a smoke I either put it in my pocket while still lit or swallow it whole.

Where are these bins you speak of ??
    They are Far & few between

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

I was never asked to provide a law. I was asked why it was considered unacceptable. Try to keep up champ ;)

Cigarettes burn eh? Thanks for clearing that up! ;)

Yes they do. there are many many ways to put out a cigarette. There was a simple and effective way described in this thread. Again champ, what did we say about keeping up?

We've established this. Hence the thread!

You're right! It's the local authorities fault that people choose to litter! It's so obvious! Forget about a person's freedom to choose their actions, it's the authorities!

Jesus Titty-F*cking Christ! I can't even be sarcastic anymore! I just facepalmed so hard I think my eyebrow is hanging off!

someones having a real bitch fit haha
    calm down "champ"

i smoke and i throw it in a bin if available
    but if you were near me and a bin was right beside me, id throw it on the ground just to make you cringe

• Advertisement

Let me tell it how it really is.

We smokers do not care about throwing butts on the ground, we do not care about littering, we do not care about the environment & we certainly don't give a *hit what non-smokers think.

If there was a bin beside me I still wouldn't use it because you have to crush the butt with your fingers, the crushing of the butt makes your finger smell even worse so onto the ground and under the foot she goes.

I also flick butts out my window, N11, M50 - don't care
    the smell from the ashtray in the car stinks out the car very badly.

I've had non-smokers get into my car, I've lit a smoke, why because it's my ****ing car that's why, if you don't like it you can jump out while the car is still moving & walk the 20 miles to work

Us smokers have been getting a real hard time from the pc brigade lately in this poxy country, I think i'll start flicking my butts at non-smokers from now on for satisfaction reasons.

Besides the whole world is doomed in the next few hundred years, I'll be dead in 40yrs, 20 - hopefully if I increase my intake and switch to major.

But again I'll be dead before the world ends. Population overload, not enough resources, not enough food / fuel. WW3 over resources -- take your pick.

Littering butts is pie in the sky at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

Sure tis only paper with a bit of wool in it....it natural...it will just bio degrade into the earth as for where it once came....

This is what I think a lot of smokers would think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    We smokers do not care about throwing butts on the ground, we do not care about littering, we do not care about the environment & we certainly don't give a *hit what non-smokers think.

Speak for yourself.

OP, what about all the McDonalds packaging? Should we also campaign against their consumers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Anyone who litters, regardless of what it is, is a dirty cúnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

If we ever want to start an anal sorry I'm perfect new world we must start our search here. Because there seems to be a significant amount of posters here who never break a rule or do anything wrong. The amazing posters of A/H

Odysseus wrote: »
    If we ever want to start an anal sorry I'm perfect new world we must start our search here. Because there seems to be a significant amount of posters here who never break a rule or do anything wrong. The amazing posters of A/H

AH's has taken a full flip & mods haven't notices expect you Odysseus.
    My posts may seem harsh but are all 100% honest in relation to what I think.

It's the do-gooders that are trolls trying to rage us realistic harsh honest ppl....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

A friend of mine in Germany used to keep a little plastic bag in her pocket. When she had finished a cigarette, she'd rub it out on a lamppost, tree, wall, whatever there was, and put the butt into the bag.

We had volunteered to help clean up a piece of forest once, and where simply shocked and disgusted at the amount of rubbish people had left behind. Cigarette butts alone accounted for at least 5 bin bags.

I don't see why people would assume that they can throw any kind of rubbish on the street, no matter what it is. And to hide behind the excuse "Sure, others do it, why should I not be allowed to" is childish in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Because there are no ashtrays around. Bad enough we have to smoke outside these days, now you want us to carry unlit smoke butts around until we find an ashtray.
    brummytom wrote: »
    There aren't anywhere near enough bins in most places. And I'm not going to carry the butts round until I do find one, have you ever smelt a pack with a butt in? Jesus Christ, the smell.

Good grief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I often see smokers standing outside pubs (where there special cigarette bins provided) still insist on throwing them to the ground. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

it gives road sweepers jobs though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If there was a bin beside me I still wouldn't use it because you have to crush the butt with your fingers, the crushing of the butt makes your finger smell even worse so onto the ground and under the foot she goes.

I've had non-smokers get into my car, I've lit a smoke, why because it's my ****ing car that's why, if you don't like it you can jump out while the car is still moving & walk the 20 miles to work

Us smokers have been getting a real hard time from the pc brigade lately in this poxy country, I think i'll start flicking my butts at non-smokers from now on for satisfaction reasons.

Besides the whole world is doomed in the next few hundred years, I'll be dead in 40yrs, 20 - hopefully if I increase my intake and switch to major.

But again I'll be dead before the world ends. Population overload, not enough resources, not enough food / fuel. WW3 over resources -- take your pick.

This is all true, but i think you may change your ways if a few 150 Euro fines were smacked up side your head.

I have to be clear. The filth in dublin is in no small part contributed by lazy filthy attitudes. Be it paper / cans / smokers what ever. Our city is in a jock because people were dragged up and not thought right and wrong by their parents.

Ah sure everyone else is doing it around me so why cant i.....

Ive no major experience of the rest of the countrys citys but im sure they have the same problem.

And that crap that it 'gives someone a job' is just crap. Street cleaners have other things to be doing than standing outside the IFSC hoovering up 5000 Cigarette butts a day.

pure lazy ignorance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Some funny justification from smokers here! "It's burning, therefore I can't do it". Yes. There's absolutely no possible way of putting out a cigarette. Manking can walk on the moon, but haven't figured out how to put out a cigarette and put it in a bin later. Jesus wept, how the hell do you dress yourselves in the morning? "But my clothes are on the other side of the room and I'm over here, there's no possible way of doing it". Putting a cigarette but in a bin isn't rocket science.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=portable+ashtray&sprefix=portable+as%2Caps%2C240&x=0&y=0
    If I'm right beside a bin I'll put it into it but if I'm not I'm hardly going to carry it around :L There's only one bin at the shops where I live and what if I'm not going to the shops? I'm not going to walk up there just to put a butt in the bin :L

Don't give a damn about the environment and give even less of a damn about the people who constantly whinge about smokers, you'd swear we were all wicked people or something. People think they are better morally than smokers and it's just not true.

I don't even notice butts on the ground and it's far from disgusting, that's an overreaction.

Fair play for probably the only honest answer.

Damokc wrote: »
    Sure tis only paper with a bit of wool in it....it natural...it will just bio degrade into the earth as for where it once came....

This is what I think a lot of smokers would think.

That 'wool' you talk of is type acetate plastic, which never fully biodegrades !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Is it their way of getting back at the smoking ban?
    Has anyone been/know someone who was fined for dropping the butt?

What an inspiring attitude. I'd say you've done well for yourself bahahaha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

You don't give a damn about the environment? Are you for real? Then you go on to imply that your have your moral code in order ffs. My arse.

The idea of not giving a **** about your surroundings is sickening. I wonder why I bother my backside recycling and putting my rubbish in the bin for the benefit of others with people like you about.

This has to be one of the most ignorant comments I've ever read in AH. Wt fooking f. :mad: I hope to god you're trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

What do you want them to do? Jesus fucking christ I'm not even a smoker any more but sometimes I think of starting again just so I can piss of the anti-smoking Nazi brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I smoke, and i absolutely hate butts on the ground!! I have been outside many a hotel etc and there are no bins for cigarettes, you are standing there finished and have no where to put the butt!!

Then I quench it with my shoe and im still there wondering what to do with it, then i thought i will buy a disposable ashtray, but if i dump the butts in the hotel room bin they will stink and the staff will think i have been smoking in the room and i dont want that!

Such a dilemma, whats the answer???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

smokers dont respect their own bodies so why the hell would they respect our streets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Anyone who litters, regardless of what it is, is a dirty cúnt.

so your telling me you've never littered in your entire life, not once dropped a tiny piece of paper on the ground in public?
    unless your calling yourself as well as everyone else a dirt c*nt

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    You don't give a damn about the environment? Are you for real? Then you go on to imply that your have your moral code in order ffs. My arse.

The idea of not giving a **** about your surroundings is sickening. I wonder why I bother my backside recycling and putting my rubbish in the bin for the benefit of others with people like you about.

This has to be one of the most ignorant comments I've ever read in AH. Wt fooking f. :mad: I hope to god you're trolling.

It must be very windy up there on your pedestal.

If you really gave a damn about the environment you would be chasing big industry like BP, did you see their oil spill a couple of yrs ago ??

And you wouldn't be chasing individual users looking down your nose at them

my 2 cents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Well I think its more unacceptable that they smoke into peoples faces especially for those who don't smoke and might be allergic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

It must be very windy up there on your pedestal.

If you really gave a damn about the environment you would be chasing big industry like BP, did you see their oil spill a couple of yrs ago ??

And you wouldn't be chasing individual users looking down your nose at them

my 2 cents...

Shur all I want is to be left alone to me half pint and an 'aul schmoke

*puffs pipe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

maiden wrote: »
    I smoke, and i absolutely hate butts on the ground!! I have been outside many a hotel etc and there are no bins for cigarettes, you are standing there finished and have no where to put the butt!!

Then I quench it with my shoe and im still there wondering what to do with it, then i thought i will buy a disposable ashtray, but if i dump the butts in the hotel room bin they will stink and the staff will think i have been smoking in the room and i dont want that!

Such a dilemma, whats the answer???

Down a drain, in a flower pot, there is always somewhere to put them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

hondasam wrote: »
    I suppose you are perfect are you?

How is it inconsiderate exactly?

Presumably one has everyones best interests at heart when they smoke cigarettes and throw the butts on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

A job for them Im sure.

Which they wouldnt need to be paid for if the butts werent there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Presumably one has everyones best interests at heart when they smoke cigarettes and throw the butts on the ground.
    If they had any consideration for others they wouldnt smoke in the first place

Your comment was about people who smoke not litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

If they had any consideration for others they wouldnt smoke in the first place

Well we do...because we don't give a **** about ya.

A while back a woman was walking in front of me smoking, and the way the wind was blowing it was blowing back in my face :mad:

then she throws it on the ground with a bit of ash still on it and all.
    so I pick it up, come up behind her and dump it in the hood of her coat without her noticing :pac:

So you expect smokers to control the wind now too? And do you think you are any better than her by doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I recently witnessed a woman at a bus-stop give out to her son for littering, rightfully so.

But 2 minutes later she finished her smoke and threw the butt away!

Reads like a veiled attempt to hide your dislike of smokers and start a thread about same? I'm not a smoker myself nor have I ever have been, but I am tired of people minding other people's business. Fúck, you have nothing to worry about have you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement