Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do (some) smokers think it's acceptable to drop their butts on the ground?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

If I go back on the cancer sticks, Il get one of the these portable ashtrays in.

http://www.keepbritaintidy.org/Campaigns/pastcampaigns/cigarette/portableashtray/Default.aspx

Problem solved.

You can get fined 65 euro for chucking a butt on the street btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Don't give a damn about the environment and give even less of a damn about the people who constantly whinge about smokers, you'd swear we were all wicked people or something. People think they are better morally than smokers and it's just not true.

You don't give a damn about the environment? Are you for real? Then you go on to imply that your have your moral code in order ffs. My arse.

The idea of not giving a **** about your surroundings is sickening. I wonder why I bother my backside recycling and putting my rubbish in the bin for the benefit of others with people like you about.

This has to be one of the most ignorant comments I've ever read in AH. Wt fooking f. :mad: I hope to god you're trolling.

I didnt imply that I have a moral code that is in order because I dont and no one else does either, not even you with all the glorious recycling you do. I wonder why you bother recycling stuff too, especially if it's getting to the stage where your back is breaking, poor you.

And I do not deny that I am, in fact, an arrogant person, there are many people like me. And what the hell is trolling? :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Reads like a veiled attempt to hide your dislike of smokers and start a thread about same? I'm not a smoker myself nor have I ever have been, but I am tired of people minding other people's business. Fúck, you have nothing to worry about have you?

Other people's business?

It's not other people's business when they litter.

I don't dislike smokers at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Reads like a veiled attempt to hide your dislike of smokers and start a thread about same? I'm not a smoker myself nor have I ever have been, but I am tired of people minding other people's business. Fúck, you have nothing to worry about have you?

Hold on here, if some creates a thread, you automaticly think that's their biggest problem and all they have to worry about? OK then, lets take a look:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76385529
    Well, if your biggest worry is people commenting on the 3 sugars you take in your tea, you have nothing to worry about either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

IrishAm wrote: »
    If I go back on the cancer sticks, Il get one of the these portable ashtrays in.

http://www.keepbritaintidy.org/Campaigns/pastcampaigns/cigarette/portableashtray/Default.aspx

Problem solved.

You can get fined 65 euro for chucking a butt on the street btw.

you can also get fined €1000 for letting off an A bomb in Ireland + a 12 month jail sentance but let's face it, it ain't gonna happen

^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Absolutely hate seeing sum one throw a cigarette butt on the ground. I remember going outside past merchants quay waiting for a lift n there where a few workers (M&s I think? ) where smoking outside saw one of the women drop the fag and go in few mins later she is back outside with another box talking away to the others.

Then see starts giving out about all the fag butts on the ground to the others saying its "disgusting" :mad:

Stupid woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Smokers tend to be very selfish when it comes to their habit. The addiction overpowers them to the extent that they don't care about being disgusting, littering their (and other) communities and the how their smoking impacts on the health of those around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    you can also get fined €1000 for letting off an A bomb in Ireland + a 12 month jail sentance but let's face it, it ain't gonna happen

^^^

Er, might this not have something to do with the fact that setting off an atomic bomb is not exactly an everyday occurance? Mind you, a threat to national security like that is going to garner much more than a fine and a bit of jail time. Drop your butt in front of a garda however, and you'll find yourself €65 down pretty quickly.

What you people don't understand is that you don't have ownership over the environment. Other people have to use it too, and in any balance one must acknowledge the necessity to respect their right to use it too without having to put up with a disgusting mess they didn't create. Litter in your own house by all means, if you live alone nobody will stop you. Litter in public and the people who share it with you will not tolerate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Lemegeton wrote: »
    smokers dont respect their own bodies so why the hell would they respect our streets.

I take it you're one of those kids who lives in a bubble?

I take it you're one of those kids who lives in a bubble?

If he was, he wouldn't have to worry about passive smoking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cloptrop wrote: »
    Bad enough we have to smoke outside these days

you don't have to smoke full stop. if you choose to, then don't thrown your crap on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Can't understand why the pubs can't be a bit more proactive about cleaning up after their patrons fling their butts outside their pubs.

Not only could they sweep them up but they really should be encouraging the punters not to throw the butts away.

Some pubs of course do clean up but many don't. Also, I can't understand why the elusive litter warden doesn't get on their cases. Perhaps in some areas but not round Dun Laoghaire.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Can't understand why the pubs can't be a bit more proactive about cleaning up after their patrons fling their butts outside their pubs.

Not only could they sweep them up but they really should be encouraging the punters not to throw the butts away.

Some pubs of course do clean up but many don't. Also, I can't understand why the elusive litter warden doesn't get on their cases. Perhaps in some areas but not round Dun Laoghaire.

Why do people seem to always want to pass the buck when it comes to individual choices?

Some were saying it was the fault of local authorities and now it's the pubs.

If people weren't so ignorant as to be doing it in the first place then there wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Why do people seem to always want to pass the buck when it comes to individual choices?

Some were saying it was the fault of local authorities and now it's the pubs.

If people weren't so ignorant as to be doing it in the first place then there wouldn't be a problem.

Actually, I totally agree, I forgot to put that in, but unfortunately no matter what we do there will always be people who just can't play by the rules and ruin it for the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

py2006 wrote: »
    Smokers tend to be very selfish when it comes to their habit. The addiction overpowers them to the extent that they don't care about being disgusting, littering their (and other) communities and the how their smoking impacts on the health of those around them.

You could say the same about drinkers. :rolleyes:

You could say the same about drinkers. :rolleyes:

And your point is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm pretty sure if I was drinking a can of Coke and threw the empty can down I wouldn't be viewed very well!
    Not that I'm making excuses for people who throw butts on the ground, but I'm pretty sure they degrade a lot quicker than a can.

Lisandro wrote: »

What you people don't understand is that you don't have ownership over the environment.

Litter in public and the people who share it with you will not tolerate it.

We know that, the problem here is that people like you think you have ownership of the environment and that you can tell others what to do as a result, this is not the case.

The public will tolerate it also as nobody wants to cause a scene and yet to see anyone in public not tolerating someone throwing butts on the ground.

When it boils down to it, this is all the non-smokers fault. We used to sit inside and tip our ash into an ashtray, when the smoke was finished it was put out in the ashtray.

Non smokers forced us outside so there you have it.

obvioulsy people would still have thrown them on the ground when outside but I'm sure there's alot more now than before since we're all outside now.

So WELL DONE non smokers for causation of butt littering.

If he was, he wouldn't have to worry about passive smoking!

Far worse things for boys in bubbles to worry about than second-hand smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Which they wouldnt need to be paid for if the butts werent there?

So you are against employment, you want to lay off the road sweepers. Cheers for that , Im sure themselves and their families are delighted with your street cleaning measures. I know why not wait until maybe the week before christmas then let them all go together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

It must be very windy up there on your pedestal.

If you really gave a damn about the environment you would be chasing big industry like BP, did you see their oil spill a couple of yrs ago ??

And you wouldn't be chasing individual users looking down your nose at them

my 2 cents...

No high horse here pal. Someone stating they don't give a crap about the environment is arrogant when it's something we all must share. And how do you know what I do in my free time, huh?

And yes, I DID see the big BP oil spill and yes, I did my bit. How is being environmentally friendly in this day and age being on any kind of high-horse ffs?

I'm not asking people to save the world but putting your rubbish, including your fag butts in the bin, recycling, having a bit of consideration for your surroundings is hardly much to ask.

I have nieces and nephews and hope to pop a few of my own in the next 10 years. I'd like the world to be in decent nick for them when they finally reach my age.

High-horse me arse. The arrogance of people so self-centered that they wouldn't consider they're sharing this world with 7 billion others. It's an important issue and it can't be ignored and if someone comes on here and states, "I don't care about the environment" then I'll question that. It's something that concerns me and I'm entitled to feel that way. It's not a superiority complex, it's having some principles and sticking to them.

Edit: Just realised whose post I'm responding to. Why did I bother me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

We know that, the problem here is that people like you think you have ownership of the environment and that you can tell others what to do as a result, this is not the case.

So me insisting you don't dirty the surroundings I'm in with your litter is claiming ownership of the environment whereas you tossing your butts on it isn't? It's your imprint that's being left here, not mine, that's what you should talk about if you want to argue about ownership.
    The public will tolerate it also as nobody wants to cause a scene and yet to see anyone in public not tolerating someone throwing butts on the ground.

Morally tolerate it, whatever. Doesn't subtract from the fact it's as unaccpetable as any other form of litter.
    When it boils down to it, this is all the non-smokers fault. We used to sit inside and tip our ash into an ashtray, when the smoke was finished it was put out in the ashtray.

You were competent enough then to use an ash tray but are somehow not competent enough now to find and put it in a bin? I get a strong impression you're not very well acquainted with the idea of personal responsibility.
    Non smokers forced us outside so there you have it.

With very good reason, nobody should have to have put up with carcinogenic fumes in a confined space whenever they go out for a drink. That's very invasive indeed. Their non-smoking has no effect on you, your smoking has a very unhealthy effect on them.
    obvioulsy people would still have thrown them on the ground when outside but I'm sure there's alot more now than before since we're all outside now.

Do you even see the fallacy in justifying something by pointing out that people do it anyway?
    So WELL DONE non smokers for causation of butt littering.

So what your argument amounts to is that it's our fault you can't take enough responsibility to respect our collective environment the way the rest of us do. Is it really too much to ask that you don't impose your litter on our surroundings or are you of the school of thought that other people should have to accommodate your habit, even if it has nothing to do with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

And your point is?

I've completely forgotten what it was. All that smoking is killing my brain cells. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

hondasam wrote: »
    Down a drain, in a flower pot, there is always somewhere to put them.

I would never put a butt into a flower pot!! Thats disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Overflow wrote: »
    Em yes, its your disgusting habit. Why should everyone else and the environment suffer because of your selfish, unhealthy, polluting, vile habit.

Ah the plight of the poor smokers.

Theres no ashtrays for us so we litter.
    Poor us now we have to smoke outside so non smokers dont inhale our second hand smoke.

blah blah blah the poor smokers.

You have every right to do what ever unhealthy things you want to your body, just as long as your not effecting anyone else. Cross that line, any argument you have has no credibility!

eh , if you drive a car , use a bus or motorbike - if you use electricity that you do not produce - heat your house with oil or gas , burn wood , create rubbish that is incinerated or land filled , if you buy mass produced food instead of growing your own - if you fly or use a train .........

see where this is going ? you cause so much more environmental damage just living than a smoke could ever do

so unless you live in a cave in Norway , with no power,heating and you have a stack of salted herring that you caught - then you should keep your baseless, hypocritical, logic less points to your self
    think before you post!

and im a non smoker - just not up my own hole about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

I was never asked to provide a law. I was asked why it was considered unacceptable. Try to keep up champ ;)

Cigarettes burn eh? Thanks for clearing that up! ;)

Yes they do. there are many many ways to put out a cigarette. There was a simple and effective way described in this thread. Again champ, what did we say about keeping up?

We've established this. Hence the thread!

You're right! It's the local authorities fault that people choose to litter! It's so obvious! Forget about a person's freedom to choose their actions, it's the authorities!

Jesus Titty-F*cking Christ! I can't even be sarcastic anymore! I just facepalmed so hard I think my eyebrow is hanging off!

You wanted an insight into the psychology of smokers and I think you've gotten it. Not everyone can be as brave, logical and well reasoned as you and if that upsets you, I'm sorry the world is cruel place for those of such intelligence.

...Considering the sarcasm in my previous post went over your head, I feel obliged to point out the second sentence in this post employs the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

maiden wrote: »
    I would never put a butt into a flower pot!! Thats disgusting!

I thought it was good for the plants. It's better than throwing them on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

A while back a woman was walking in front of me smoking, and the way the wind was blowing it was blowing back in my face :mad:

then she throws it on the ground with a bit of ash still on it and all.
    so I pick it up, come up behind her and dump it in the hood of her coat without her noticing :pac:

You couldn't just divert your path a little bit? Afterall she was in front of you - it's not like she probably saw you. What an anal, petty, small-minded thing to do. Your username says it all here. I don't think I'd see you do that to a fella. Cowardly and unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Lemegeton wrote: »
    smokers dont respect their own bodies so why the hell would they respect our streets.

Jesus Christ! You sound like something out of Brass Eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

smash wrote: »
    Not that I'm making excuses for people who throw butts on the ground, but I'm pretty sure they degrade a lot quicker than a can.

Considering the chemicals contained in a cigarette filter, I wouldn't want to bet on that.

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    I thought it was good for the plants. It's better than throwing them on the ground.

The filter and the chemicals that are left in a butt would probably be as harmful to plants as they are to us.

I think the ash might be good/okay/not harmful to plants (because it's just carbon at that point. I'm probably very wrong on that point).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Chinasea wrote: »

Have you tried reporting them to the Litter Warden? A few years back, I got the DLR Litter Warden to put manners on a particular office block where the staff used to congregate on the path for their smoke breaks and leave it littered with butts. The Litter Warden got onto management, and arranged for them to smoke on their own premises, and clean up their own butts.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

Ok You might as well say "Why do (SOME) people litter?"

The answer is that people are lazy. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Not going to read the petty squabbling throughout the thread, but this argument that unless you are Captain Planet and recycle your own dead skin for use as fish food then you cannot comment on the poor regard certain people have for nature is absolute nonsense.

People throwing smoke butts on the ground is poor form. I'm a smoker. I've done it. Not going to justify it. You don't need to be campaigning against BP's destruction of the environment to pass comment on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Lisandro wrote: »
    So me insisting you don't dirty the surroundings I'm in with your litter is claiming ownership of the environment whereas you tossing your butts on it isn't? It's your imprint that's being left here, not mine, that's what you should talk about if you want to argue about ownership.

Morally tolerate it, whatever. Doesn't subtract from the fact it's as unaccpetable as any other form of litter.

You were competent enough then to use an ash tray but are somehow not competent enough now to find and put it in a bin? I get a strong impression you're not very well acquainted with the idea of personal responsibility.

With very good reason, nobody should have to have put up with carcinogenic fumes in a confined space whenever they go out for a drink. That's very invasive indeed. Their non-smoking has no effect on you, your smoking has a very unhealthy effect on them.

Do you even see the fallacy in justifying something by pointing out that people do it anyway?

So what your argument amounts to is that it's our fault you can't take enough responsibility to respect our collective environment the way the rest of us do. Is it really too much to ask that you don't impose your litter on our surroundings or are you of the school of thought that other people should have to accommodate your habit, even if it has nothing to do with them?

I wouldn't bother.
    You're not argueing with a person there, but with the addiction itself by the sounds of it.
    "I have to smoke, and I have to throw the butts on the street. No other option."
    And, if pushed "It's all someone else's fault".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Tense thread......I'm going for a smoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

cloptrop wrote: »
    Bins on fire are an awful waste of firemans budget . Think about the austerity.

:) roll and toss. That's what I used to do. Just roll the rest of the tobacco out and throw the filter/butt in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

i used to always, always extinguish the ciggerette on the side of the bin before throwing the defused smoke in, but that stinks your fingers up real bad. And I see beggars looking for smokes in the street so I just flick it off now. arsed. The street cleaners will clean it or some grateful beggar will get a few drags. everyone's a weiner.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    No high horse here pal. Someone stating they don't give a crap about the environment is arrogant when it's something we all must share. And how do you know what I do in my free time, huh?

Hey - Honest Abe here, I didn't say I knew what you did in your free time

And yes, I DID see the big BP oil spill and yes, I did my bit. How is being environmentally friendly in this day and age being on any kind of high-horse ffs?

Lol - I'm sure you did your bit......

I'm not asking people to save the world but putting your rubbish, including your fag butts in the bin, recycling, having a bit of consideration for your surroundings is hardly much to ask.

I agree with you, I shouldn't do it, but I do, there you go.

I have nieces and nephews and hope to pop a few of my own in the next 10 years. I'd like the world to be in decent nick for them when they finally reach my age.

And throwing butts on the ground will mean you can't have kids ?
    Mate - we're running out of food & fuel, future generations have bigger worries than this

High-horse me arse. The arrogance of people so self-centered that they wouldn't consider they're sharing this world with 7 billion others. It's an important issue and it can't be ignored and if someone comes on here and states, "I don't care about the environment" then I'll question that. It's something that concerns me and I'm entitled to feel that way. It's not a superiority complex, it's having some principles and sticking to them.

Your forcing your principles down other ppl's throats, that's dictatorship right there.

Edit: Just realised whose post I'm responding to. Why did I bother me arse!

exactly ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

doovdela wrote: »
    Well I think its more unacceptable that they smoke into peoples faces especially for those who don't smoke and might be allergic.

That's not the issue we're concerned with. If smoke is getting in your face then move for fúck sake. I've had friends that complained about smoke getting in their faces, but what am I supposed to do? If the wind is blowing that way then obviously the smoke is going to get into your face. change sides.

And I shouldn't smoke because there might be someone in the vicinity who might be allergic? cop on. I don't even think that's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

you shouldn't eat your peanuts in public, a lot of people dangerously allergic to peanuts.

Advertisement