Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed drops

• 02-07-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a Netopia 2247 NWG router and currently my line speed is 17mb, the problem is I recently have had connection issues, the speeds drop to lower than dialup.
    I've done everything I can to try and resolve this without replacing the router, Eircom engineer came out and resolved an issue on the line and now it's better than before when it does work without a connection issue.

I've started to notice that the issue is fine once it's past midnight, for the most parts, so from what I'm thinking is it's more a case of the router can't handle more than 2 connections at one time. This wasn't an issue in the past because there was only 3 computers in use at the most, but now there is 2 smart phones, 3 PCs and a Mac that all connect using wireless.

So if this is the case can anyone suggest a good router that will alleviate this issue, otherwise I'll have resort to getting UPC and just connecting using an Ethernet cable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nomuri wrote: »
    just connecting using an Ethernet cable.
    Are you connecting wirelessly? Does this happen if you are using ethernet as well? If not, it could be an external source causing the problem, that switching providers wouldn't solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nomuri

Yes I'm connecting wirelessly, computer is brand new, ordered a new wireless adapter just in case there is something wrong with this one, but it won't arrive till Friday.
    It's working perfectly now and I'm the only one connected. I thought initially it was static caused by my chair, but since I have removed it and doesn't seem to make a difference. So my only conclusion is the router can't handle multiple connections.

I have replaced filters, unplugged all other devices connected to the phone line, Sky, second phone. Turned off any electrical device near the router, and moved my computer from upstairs downstairs. Even though it's fine now I know from how it's been that once the morning comes and the rest of the house is awake it's going to start again.

I know changing ISP might not resolve it if it's not the router that's at fault but with UPC I'd have a cabled connection that would only be connected to my pc, the rest would still use the Eircom connection and since it worked with an ethernet cable when I tried it during the day for 8 hours straight, but it's a monthly subscription I'd like to avoid if possible that it can be resolved.

At the moment my logs are littered with HTTP: "admin" host 192.168.1.13 logging out (timing out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes I'm connecting wirelessly
    Okay.
    I thought initially it was static caused by my chair, but since I have removed it and doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Um, wtf? The chair? HEH! Brick walls may effect the wireless signal, but the chair won't.
    So my only conclusion is the router can't handle multiple connections.
    Sounds like other connections between you and the router may be causing interference.
    I know changing ISP might not resolve it if it's not the router that's at fault but with UPC I'd have a cabled connection that would only be connected to my pc, the rest would still use the Eircom connection and since it worked with an ethernet cable when I tried it during the day for 8 hours straight, but it's a monthly subscription I'd like to avoid if possible that it can be resolved.
    If you connect your machine to the router via an ethernet cable and it's all okay, it's most likely the wireless signals. Look into a homeplug connection (example of how it works) to connect your machine to the router over the electrical wires of your house; I do, and it works great.

=-=

Also consider that the speeds may drop at a certain time as they have programs that are set to download at full speed after a certain time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have replaced filters).

Hi
    no advice for you im afraid but just wondering where you brought the filters? Im in need of new ones

thanks mate

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nomuri

I know the chair thing sounds weird, but it's one of the old office chairs with wool fibres, so a static charge could be generated, anything that absorbs 2.4GHz signal like water (human body), or interferes with a signal such as static.

I'll have a look into homeplugs though, cheers for the advice. =)

@Seph, I was given them for free by a friend. I wouldn't pay how much Eircom charges for them though on their website. I've seen posts round boards and the Eircom community forum on eircom.net and some of the Eircom Reps send out free ones, could always PM one of them and ask them kindly to send you out a few. That or look on amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I know the chair thing sounds weird, but it's one of the old office chairs with wool fibres, so a static charge could be generated, anything that absorbs 2.4GHz signal like water (human body), or interferes with a signal such as static.

I'll have a look into homeplugs though, cheers for the advice. =)

@Seph, I was given them for free by a friend. I wouldn't pay how much Eircom charges for them though on their website. I've seen posts round boards and the Eircom community forum on eircom.net and some of the Eircom Reps send out free ones, could always PM one of them and ask them kindly to send you out a few. That or look on amazon.

thanks will try that

Advertisement