Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pint of Guinness €3.50 and 2.8% vol

Options
  • 02-07-2012 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the story is with this one .

a Pint of the black stuff for €3.50 and 2.8 % vol .......

I don't think its good value ..........don't taste the same as a regular pint of Guinness
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Never heard of 2.8% vol ... weird alright.

Is it a can?
    or are pubs selling it?

*edit*

http://www.guinness.com/en-ie/thebeer-draught-midstrength.html
    Guinness® Mid-Strength

Guinness Mid-Strength is brewed in exactly the same way as regular 4.2% alcohol Guinness. The same key ingredients are used, ensuring the same distinct quality and taste. The only difference from standard Guinness is the lower alcohol content of 2.8%.

Guinness Mid-Strength gives the Guinness adorer an alternative drink choice which is perfect for those more casual occasions: Mid-week, Sundays, watching the game with mates... Whatever the occasion, make it a Guinness Mid-Strength!

haha ... "mid-week" & "sundays" :pac: Its like they are trying to market alcohol for people who work. But yet do not wanna say the words "why wait till the weekend? drink during the week!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The only Guinness that has 2.8% ABV was Guinness mid-strength and that hasn't been sold in about 5 years. Guinness draught, bottles and cans are generally between 4.1% and 4.3%

The ABV then varies from country to country and continent to continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭scotchy

aaronh007 wrote: »
    The only Guinness that has 2.8% ABV was Guinness mid-strength and that hasn't been sold in about 5 years. Guinness draught, bottles and cans are generally between 4.1% and 4.3%

It's still on sale.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

scotchy wrote: »
    It's still on sale.

Really? Did not know that. Never saw it for sale anywhere in Cork, nor Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

aaronh007 wrote: »

Its still on sale.

I was given a pint in my local recently and its fvcking disgusting crap.

Btw, Guinness EXPORT is the dogs bollox ~ somewhere around 7.3%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Had a pint tonight too .....crap taste

Its called mid-strength and been targetted at drivers and casual drinkers .

But it ain't nice ( imo )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭policarp

Why not try Beamish?

Cheaper than Guinness and more consistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Where is this on sale OP?

I've not seen this in 4 or 5 years

Very suprised :confused:

My advice: Drink Murphys

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

policarp wrote: »
    Why not try Beamish?

Cheaper than Guinness and more consistant.

You know what else is more consistent with Beamish?

The trots!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Anyone know what the story is with this one .

a Pint of the black stuff for €3.50 and 2.8 % vol .......

I don't think its good value ..........don't taste the same as a regular pint of Guinness

My local sells the real Guinness for the exact same price....and has been €3.50 for a few years :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People these days are geting too soft

The only way to drink stout is out of a pint bottle, off the shelf with a hot poker stuck in it.

Still tastes sh1te but at least it put hairs on your chest.*

*hairy chested women are sexy too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Blooming'eck that's a bit of a joke at that price. Then again, the price of drink is, in most Dublin pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Blooming'eck that's a bit of a joke at that price.
    Its not too bad relatively speaking, instead of 2 pints of this somebody might opt for a regular pint and a pint of lemonade for the second.

A pint of schweppes in my local would be about €13, its over 4 1/2 bottles. To fill a pint glass with coke is €8.50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Classic reply from a punter in my local, where they sell the mid-strenght, when asked why he was drinking it.

"Ah sure I can have 3 or 4 of these and still drive home".

:eek:

Eh, No, I don't think it works like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

rubadub wrote: »
    Its not too bad relatively speaking, instead of 2 pints of this somebody might opt for a regular pint and a pint of lemonade for the second.

A pint of schweppes in my local would be about €13, its over 4 1/2 bottles. To fill a pint glass with coke is €8.50

As I said, at that price. I generally drink in a slight range of pubs, mainly 3.60 / 4 for a pint. If I'm getting less from the drink, I don't want to be paying close to what I value as the full price.

I don't like the way they are setting the expectation that 3.50 is a reasonable price for this because it boosts the idea of a full %abv pint for a fiver, which I consider to be excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> Beers
    Never seen it sold around Galway.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Save your self money. Order a normal pint, a pint of water and an empty pint glass. Pour half Guinness in the empty pint glass and half water. Mix. There you go. If it's what they do for low fat milk and diet coke, you can do it for Guinness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Its still on sale.

I was given a pint in my local recently and its fvcking disgusting crap.

Btw, Guinness EXPORT is the dogs bollox ~ somewhere around 7.3%

You mean Guinness Foreign Extra?

biko wrote: »
    AH -> Beers
    Never seen it sold around Galway.

It's in a fair few pubs...

antodeco wrote: »
    Save your self money. Order a normal pint, a pint of water and an empty pint glass. Pour half Guinness in the empty pint glass and half water. Mix. There you go. If it's what they do for low fat milk and diet coke, you can do it for Guinness.

That's not what they do for low fat milk or diet coke and it certainly isn't what they do for Guinness mid-strength.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's in a fair few pubs...
    Can you point out a few? I'll try out next time I'm out.

biko wrote: »
    Can you point out a few? I'll try out next time I'm out.

Sheridans, The Huntsman off the top of my head, seen it in a few more though.

Sweet, I'll try Sheridans next time I'm craving a pint with my hot wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Plazaman wrote: »
    Classic reply from a punter in my local, where they sell the mid-strenght, when asked why he was drinking it.

why not, nearly the same as having two 2 regular pints which takes about 2-3 hrs to metabolise and if he is drinking 4 pints of it probably he drinking over he course of 3 hrs so he should be pretty sober i would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seaneh wrote: »

Maybe they mean Guinness Special Export - hard to find, slightly stronger, much nicer bottle and more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Plazaman wrote: »

The publican also told me that this Guinness mid-strength was usually drank by customers that would be driving home afterwards .

Said they normally drink no more than 2 pints

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

adamski8 wrote: »
    nearly the same as having two 2 regular pints which takes about 2-3 hrs to metabolise
    Yeah, people hear stuff like "you're allowed 1 pint", and take it as gospel, like it would hold up in court.

A 50stone man is not going to have the same blood alcohol level after 1 pint as an anorexic dwarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Quite popular in golf clubs and the likes where people might want a pint after their round and still be able to drive home

Ive also seen 1/2 strenght carlsberg on draft and pint bottles of 1/2 strenght bulmers. Ive had the bulmers once when driving and it was similar to the orignal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Quite popular in golf clubs and the likes where people might want a pint after their round and still be able to drive home

Ive also seen 1/2 strenght carlsberg on draft and pint bottles of 1/2 strenght bulmers. Ive had the bulmers once when driving and it was similar to the orignal

Where did you see the half strength Carlsberg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Where did you see the half strength Carlsberg?

I seen it in some golf club bar or other ( sorry cant remember, Maybe corrstown ), a few years ago mind

I think the novelty may have worn off the mid strengt stuff a touch as they were in a lot of bars a few years ago, I havent seen much of them lately.

Advertisement