Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[!]Great tips for newbies/pros

• 02-07-2012 4:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

i came across this superb guide/tips that are trying to help people understand what to avoid or what to do on bike... i would like that everyone is gonna take the time and read it (few mins that can make the difference)- it can refresh the memory of some "pro" riders and it can also extend the knowledge for "newbies".

its dedicated to BMW riders but i dont see a point why we cant not apply that to any other brands.

http://pirateslair.net/SAFETY1.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I dont see a mention of "beware of other bikers"...maybe it comes under "expect the unexpected"......;)

36. Never drive at the same speed as traffic... i.e. never be static in anyone's peripheral view

I dissagree with this.........I like to place myself where drivers have a chance to be aware of me... , i've often had bikes appear out of nowhere and frighten the bejasus out of me.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I've come across better sites. A lot of that is either wrong, (too basic) common sense, or different ways of saying the same thing! It's also a nightmare to read...IMO.

Check this out, I found it good 8 months ago: http://www.lazymotorbike.eu

This is also very good: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Riding_Techniques (on a Ninja site but applies to any bike)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tip Number 1.....DONT CRASH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Plan ahead and always leave some room.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You have TWO choices going around BENDS!!!! Coast or accelerate....thats bad advice right there.

You should never coast around a bend, alway have the chain tight and the grip on the rear. Only way to have this is correct speed and position BEFORE you lean in!

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    You have TWO choices going around BENDS!!!! Coast or accelerate....thats bad advice right there.

You should never coast around a bend, alway have the chain tight and the grip on the rear. Only way to have this is correct speed and position BEFORE you lean in!

Yep! I was gonna say the exact same thing earlier...then I noticed lots of other non-tips and began to write a big bitching post and sounded like a negative moron so I deleted it all!

It sounds like most of those tips come from Harley weekend riders in a hot climate on well maintained massive roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Only got to tip 8 and stopped.
    3. When you are following semi-trailers (or cars) on the interstate... always follow directly behind their wheels. Reason: If they straddle the dead animal, brick o block, etc.. in the road, you will not have enough reaction time to change directions if you are following directly "centered" behind them. I usually do the same with cars.

Eh overtake them, who stays behind a truck on a motorway.
    8. Braking!!! Until integrated braking is released on our beloved K12's our front brake is 80% of your braking power. Get used to braking with ONLY your front brake. Go to a large parking lot and practice until it's first nature.

You need to use your back to help stabilise the bike:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

if its reading your after my personal favourite book will be "Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook to Better Motorcycling"...

it may be a bit advanced for new riders but it gives some solid advice...

but also i will say experience is the key, if you think you are ding something wrong you may very well be and the best course of action is to get advice from people who ride everyday be they instructors/police riders etc...they always seem to be fountains of knowledge and are usually more than willing to have a little chat...

Del2005 wrote: »

Eh overtake them, who stays behind a truck on a motorway.

I never use my back brake to "Stabilise" a bike? :confused:
    It has its uses, scrubbing off a bit of speed leaned in & slow manouvers and nasty weather sure, but to stabilise a bike while braking with the front!

Or am I reading it wrong mate. Not having a pop just curious?

Now if you riding a heavy cruiser thats TOTALLY different as the weight is spread more to the back so in theory anyone with a cruiser should be using the back brake like a sports bike uses the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Del2005 wrote: »

Maybe if you do lots of u-turns it comes in handy alright or it's useful for slowing down when doing your hair in the mirror. Personally I've only ever used the back brake to skid, not for stopping. But all the bikes I've ever owned had good brakes (all sports bikes besides two supermotos) so the front is all i require. As above cruisers and stuff would need the back brake as they tend to have weak fronts. Whatever you are comfortable with though :)
    i think everybody should practice braking properly though and braking as hard as they can. No point in the first time being when you need to stop in a hurry. Best to know what the bike is capable of.

• Advertisement

batman_oh wrote: »
    Maybe if you do lots of u-turns it comes in handy alright or it's useful for slowing down when doing your hair in the mirror. Personally I've only ever used the back brake to skid, not for stopping. But all the bikes I've ever owned had good brakes (all sports bikes besides two supermotos) so the front is all i require. As above cruisers and stuff would need the back brake as they tend to have weak fronts. Whatever you are comfortable with though :)
    i think everybody should practice braking properly though and braking as hard as they can. No point in the first time being when you need to stop in a hurry. Best to know what the bike is capable of.

I almost always use my back brake anytime I use my front, though at varying degrees. I've skidded a few times though, so I tend to not go too hard on it.

You can read whatever you want to believe online, if you look...everyone has different opinions it seems. Personally I think it depends on the bike, but I'm no expert. When I was starting out, I found it hard to know what the "right" way was...but practise sorts that out.

In terms of the theory test, the IBT, and the test: they expect you to use, or know that you should use, both brakes in unison almost always. In certain circumstances such as rain/steep hill and stuff where you should rely on one much more than the other.

For example, in rain, you should rely on the back a bit more than normal. Why? I don't know. But I was asked this question (and got it right, despite partially disagreeing with it). It's probably because a back wheel skid is much less severe than a front wheel.

Similarly, going downhill, you rely more on front, less on back, because the back is likely to skid as it's lighter, and front needs more stopping power as all the weight is at the front.

Blah, blah, blah...I know I feel much better using both brakes though. Nice to know if sh*t hits the fan you have two stopping tools instead of one. Once used in such a way that you don't crash, that is :) ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

rat_race wrote: »
    ...you should use, both brakes in unison almost always. In certain circumstances such as rain/steep hill and stuff where you should rely on one much more than the other...
    I'd always thought the best option, stability-wise, was to (gently) apply the front brakes just fractionally before the back ones... :confused:

peckerhead wrote: »
    I'd always thought the best option, stability-wise, was to (gently) apply the front brakes just fractionally before the back ones... :confused:

Sorry yeah, you're right, I didn't mean in *total* unison :) ... I meant that other type of unison, the non-unison unison...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

The good old front brake/back brake debate.

Yeah, but if you think about it logically...if you need to grab a load of front then what is the point of the back brake as there is so little weight there from braking hard. The amount of videos online showing that even trying to stop a bike in the dry at 40mph with just the back brake is practically useless.

As I said in the wet it is essential, and slow moves and maybe filtering in traffic to scrub off a tad of speed.....but there is no need for it for every day stopping. Yes, it does keep the bike more stable then the front but If you feel more comfortable using it then use it, as motorbikes are all about confidence in the machine you are on.

Advertisement