Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridesmaid presents?

• 02-07-2012 8:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions of what to get my girls as a thank you gift for being awesome bridesmaids?

I'd like it to be something decent as they're being incredibly awesome for me, all three coming over from UK and generally supporting me in my spiral into wedding insanity.

What have/are other brides doing? Not sure what the norm is tbh.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we bought "****e shirts" and kindles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Guess it depends on how much you want to spend but as they are coming from the UK how about a piece of Newbridge jewellery?

Or these are lovely too
    http://www.buttonandco.com/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I bought little pocket compact mirrors in the shape of handbags with their name and the date engraved on them. They loved them, I got them on eBay. I also got them the jewellery to wear on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

DM addict wrote: »
    Any suggestions of what to get my girls as a thank you gift for being awesome bridesmaids?

I'd like it to be something decent as they're being incredibly awesome for me, all three coming over from UK and generally supporting me in my spiral into wedding insanity.

What have/are other brides doing? Not sure what the norm is tbh.

well my girls are getting their dresses, shoes, shawls, bags, jewellery and diamondette hair pieces as gifts.the dresses are the kind that if you take it to it would be a gorge party dress- so thay are delighted with that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

face mask sets,chocolate and wine..i think its reasonable you cant go overboard they might even like what youre into..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I was recently bridesmaid and my friend got us the jewellery we wore on the day. She also brought us out for a meal afterwards. Once you show appreciation, the actual present won't matter. They will be happy knowing you appreciated their help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I think jewellery is always good as it lasts a long time and can be a nice memory of the day. If you know their personal style well, then choosing according to that would be best. I had one bridesmaid/maid of honour and she is into quirky/vintage jewellery and I got her a lovely newbridge necklace and it was €40 if my memory serves me right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

My sisters are my bridesmaids. I’m paying for everything, flying them from far flung destinations, they can keep their jewellery etc. and they definitely won’t be expecting anything else, but I just want to get something small as a surprise. I was looking for something along the lines of the willow tree figurines, but one sister already has that and anyway, if possible would like something with three sisters (how Chekhovian!). I’ve googled but nothing has jumped out so far. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Willow tree figurines is a lovely idea if you think they like them, shame one of them already has one. Personally I probably wouldn't be into them.
    Got my bridesmaid a vera wang pocket mirror. Plan to engrave it. Any suggestion what it should say?
    silly wrote: »
    I bought little pocket compact mirrors in the shape of handbags with their name and the date engraved on them. They loved them, I got them on eBay. I also got them the jewellery to wear on the day.
    What did you have engraved on yours?

btw, if they like willow tree, would they like those bronze ones? They're quite popular too and I'm sure their range would include something with 3 girls..

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I bought the girls their jewellery for the big day - something that can be used again is nice I think! I also gave them the option of letting them keep their dresses if they want - my CBM is, and getting it shortened so it can be worn again, and my other BM is wearing it to her debs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

well my girls are getting their dresses, shoes, shawls, bags, jewellery and diamondette hair pieces as gifts.the dresses are the kind that if you take it to it would be a gorge party dress- so thay are delighted with that

Its great that they are delighted.
    I've been bridesmaid twice and didn't expect a present. That was a good thing as no presents were given for the first occasion and on the second we were given a nice necklace which I still have and wear on occasion.
    However, that said, the bride wanted us to wear those necklaces as she liked them and they matched the dresses. So love them or hate them we'd have been wearing them. :)
    Saying that the dress, shoes, etc is the present isn't really a present as the girls are wearing what the bride has asked them to aren't they? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I bought the girls their jewellery for the big day - something that can be used again is nice I think! I also gave them the option of letting them keep their dresses if they want - my CBM is, and getting it shortened so it can be worn again, and my other BM is wearing it to her debs :)

Can't edit my earlier post for some reason...anyway, I came across some really lovely personalised photo frames on ebay earlier, and I ordered them :) It has the name on top, and then "Thank you for being our BM"
    then our names and the wedding date - they're soo cute!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭elhal

Im getting 3d scultpture caricatures for mine from anita caricatures.... havent ordered em yet but id say thats what ill do, they are fun and will keep them forever, and always will be a talking point... id say anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭missgroovy21

I think if your bridesmaids are your sisters or your close friends get them jewellery for the wedding day and when you get back from your honeymoon find a nice photo of you with your bridesmaids get it framed and engraved and wrap it up in a nice box for each bridesmaid as a souvenir

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 groovygirl5

i got mine pearl earrings and a pearl necklace as I figured they will wear a nd have them for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pink Fox

I thought it was traditional for the groom to give the bridesmaids a 'thank you' gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Mine got their dresses, shrugs, jewellery and a little bag of pamper stuff on the day including facemask, Vaseline, hand earners (winter wedding), hand cream etc.
    The girls have both worn their dresses to at least two function each since, they were deliberately bought so that they could reuse them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's very funny people saying they 'gave' their bridesmaids their dresses, shoes and what not. Like what are you going to do exactly, take them back and try and sell them after?! The gear for the day is not a gift IMO. I liked the suggestion of a framed photo of you all though, that's lovely.

Teyla a lot of people I know did sell on bridesmaids dresses. Having said that they spent circa 300 per dress so I suppose with three bridesmaids that's a pretty hefty chunk to not try and claim back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't consider letting a bridesmaid keep a dress and/or shoes as a gift, or indeed getting their hair, makeup or other normal 'getting ready for a wedding as a member of the bridal party' stuff. Generally the bride has veto over the colour and style and none of the bridesmaids dresses I've seen would ever be worn again, no matter what a bride or bridesmaid says. I got a Tiffany necklace as a gift for her, she decided to wear different jewellery on the day though. I also paid for a spa day for her and my mum a few days before the wedding.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    I don't consider letting a bridesmaid keep a dress and/or shoes as a gift, or indeed getting their hair, makeup or other normal 'getting ready for a wedding as a member of the bridal party' stuff. Generally the bride has veto over the colour and style and none of the bridesmaids dresses I've seen would ever be worn again, no matter what a bride or bridesmaid says. I got a Tiffany necklace as a gift for her, she decided to wear different jewellery on the day though. I also paid for a spa day for her and my mum a few days before the wedding.

I deliberately chose my dresses so that they we're suitable to be worn again and as I've posted already my bridesmaids have both worn them to functions (in fact one wore hers the following night to an event!). I did give mine jewellery too tho

Does anyone watch 'Don't Tell The Bride' - the grooms are so mean when it comes to spending money on the bridesmaids.

Pink Fox wrote: »
    Does anyone watch 'Don't Tell The Bride' - the grooms are so mean when it comes to spending money on the bridesmaids.

TBH from reading a lot of wedding forums I could say the same about many brides. I was shocked to read on places like weddingsonline that some brides weren't paying for the bridal party's rooms the night of the wedding because it 'wasn't in the budget and we're having five of each, sure who can afford that'. Scabby attitude.

I definitely think that a bridesmaids expenses should be covered, if you can only afford 1 bridesmaid, then only have 1 bridesmaid.

When organising a hen party, please put a little thought into who can and who cannot afford to go away on a three or four day binge. So many people are out of work these days and you can put a person in a very embarrassing situation.

I was at a wedding recently that was 200 miles away from where I live, it meant 2 nights accommodation, petrol, dinner the night before the wedding, lunch on the way down and on the way back, drinks, new clothes, etc. etc. etc. None of the guests lived in the area that the wedding was held so a couple of hundred people were seriously inconvenienced. Did it ever occur to the bride and groom that if you put people to such expense, that they will have to give a smaller present than they would like?

Neither me or my husband go on weekend stags or hens. Partly because I think its a totally unnecessary event and mainly because with a small child neither of us would like to be left alone with her. I know of a recent bride who had a hen party in Madrid and threw a strop when half of those invited declined. I mean, seriously, asking people to fork out for what's basically a pre wedding holidays in this climate? Serious case of Celtic Tigerism there! Luckily most of my friends had a more realistic dinner and drinks arrangement, but the odd time I'm asked to a weekend away one I want to tell the bride and/or bridesmaid to have a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Get them dresses with Straps. :D

hD6AC13C2

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cellygirl

I got my bridesmaid some jewellery (not what she wore on the day), a voucher for a meal and paid for her hotel room for the night of the wedding.

Also paid for her hair/make-up/nails but more considered that part of her being bridesmaid and not a gift.

Hi All,

The bridesmaids dress, shoes, hair, make up, overnight accommodation if necessary, are the bride's responsibility.

I read in an etiquette book that it is the groom's responsibility to buy the bridesmaid a small gift in recognition of the support she give's the bride.

Has anyone else heard of this, the book said it is traditional.

I have been a bridesmaid four times, only one groom gave me a present, it was a simple silver cross and much appreciated.

Advertisement