Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online PC building guides.

Options
  • 02-07-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭

So all my stuff has finally arrived and I'm sitting here with all of it infront of me and I don't even know where to start. Id like a list of a few online tutorials to guide me through the process. I'm assuming you start with the PSU?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well I'd start with the motherboard and try an put the processor on it before you put it in as it can be easier
    and I don't know what way people put their thermal paste on but I just put a bit in the middle and let it spread itself out when the chip goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't have thermal paste... I thought you were only supposed to use that if you were using a CPU fan?

Edit: theres a fan in the box, ill have to go to maplin and buy thermal paste and cable ties. Anything else I should pick up while im there that won't have come with my order? I have an anti statis wrist band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

MadYaker wrote: »
    So all my stuff has finally arrived and I'm sitting here with all of it infront of me and I don't even know where to start. Id like a list of a few online tutorials to guide me through the process. I'm assuming you start with the PSU?

Haven't watched it all but it seems good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Look for how to build a PC on Newegg's youtube channel, they have 3 very good videos.

EDIT: ^pretty much that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Here's what I do;

Open all the windows and take my shirt off because I'm fat and there is going to be alot of sweat and swearing ;)

Assemble the Motherboards first - CPU, if you are using a stock cooler it probably has a thermal pad. If not watch 15 hours of youtube clips discussing crosses, swastickers, fractals and decide a little blob in the middle is just as good ;)

Nest RAM - make sure its seated properly and notches alined. This is very important as can bork your build if not done right.

Next thing - PSU in to case and make sure you are thinking ahead with regards yto cable management.

Nest thing is open up the motherboard manual and find all the headers (for USB, power switch, HDD and power LEDS) and connect them all up - double check any fan headers for the CPU you put in earlier. If you have an ASUS board thank them for inventing that little block for all the LEDs and switches - if you dont this is about the time the swearing gets to the point that anyone under the age of 18 should leave the house.

At this point I persoanlly like to do a power on test - just to makesure all the fans are spinning.

Next ingoes the Video Card - does the machine post? (Beep and put the BIOS screen up)?

Lastly Hard Drives and DVD Writer - then install windows.

Any specific questions just ask the guys here are not only the friendlist on Boards - they are probably the nicest online forum going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I don't have thermal paste... I thought you were only supposed to use that if you were using a CPU fan?

something has to go on the processor otherwise it will overheat and fry itself, so you will need either a heatsink or a cpu cooler
    one should come with the processor

Its looks like there is some sort of thermal compound on the bottom of the CPU fan so I guess I don't need paste. Its an intel i3.

Thats the jobie - you got a retail CPU and fan? all came in the same blue box?

If so that's the thermal compound.

Wish I was building my first PC again - I started out tinkering with my Byte 16Mb RAM 166Mhz Pentium - had it up to 233Mhz at one point - wow the speed!

Well actually the first tinkering I did was my 68040 board on my Amiga 1200. I case moded it.*

*Stacked books under it to lift if off the table so the 040 chip didn't melt ;)

CPU and fan are in. This is f*cking terrifying I keep thinking im going to break something.

Edit: The RAM is in! I think I need a drink...

Once you have the CPU in and the fan connected to the main board, plus the memory in a chimpanzee can do the rest - I know I have many of the same attributes!

Only issues are seating memory and thermal paste / bents pins when building a machine really.

I used to be so careful with stuff - then realised stuff I'd finished with was being left unboxed in a plastic bag somewhere - normally with a load of crap thrown on top of it. Anything I resurrected was always grand!

• Advertisement

Should I put the motherboard in the case before the PSU?

Which ever is easist for - just make sure to keep your cables as neat as possible.

Take a pic when you're done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

This is usually the order I do it in:

Place CPU into MB while out of the case (align the mark in the corner of the chip to the one in it's housing on the MB)
    Secure MB to case
    Secure PSU to case
    Secure Hard Drives,DVD/BR Drives fans and anything else that needs to be screwed in
    Plug power to MB
    Add RAM
    Add CPU fan/sink (using a SMALL amount of paste if needed)
    Plug SATA cables to MB and drives (Careful if you have a SSD - they should get the top spots or any SATA III ports)
    Plug Plower to MB and drives
    Plug case power cable to MB and any USB/sound case extensions
    Add Graphics Card
    Plug power to GFX Card if required
    Cable tie whatever you can keeping in mind the airflow in the case (you will have intake and exhaust fans - make sure they are blowing air through a clear open path, pref right past your GFX Card - in bottom/front, out top/back)
    Plug in monitor and A/C power and cross fingers
    Leave case open and rev it up
    Everything post OK?
    Check airflow is directing as intended
    Power off
    Close case and get OS install CD.
    Enjoy.

Here is a list of stuff I check before hitting the "On" button:

Is the CPU fan properly secure?
    Are all the power sockets on the MB filled? GFX Card has no gaping power sockets unfilled?
    Case power buttons are definitely right?
    All Drives have Power and SATA Cables?
    Nothing interfering with fans? Dangling wires etc?
    RAM is definitely in tight?
    Power button is switched to "On" at the back of the PSU? :)

Good luck and have fun building! It's quite a nice feeling when it boots up for the first time. And don't panic if it doesn't - they don't break. (Unless of course a part was faulty to begin with but that's rare)

This is usually the order I do it in:

Place CPU into MB while out of the case (align the mark in the corner of the chip to the one in it's housing on the MB)
    Secure MB to case
    Secure PSU to case
    Secure Hard Drives,DVD/BR Drives fans and anything else that needs to be screwed in
    Plug power to MB
    Add RAM
    Add CPU fan/sink (using a SMALL amount of paste if needed)
    Plug SATA cables to MB and drives (Careful if you have a SSD - they should get the top spots or any SATA III ports)
    Plug Plower to MB and drives
    Plug case power cable to MB and any USB/sound case extensions
    Add Graphics Card
    Plug power to GFX Card if required
    Cable tie whatever you can keeping in mind the airflow in the case (you will have intake and exhaust fans - make sure they are blowing air through a clear open path, pref right past your GFX Card - in bottom/front, out top/back)
    Plug in monitor and A/C power and cross fingers
    Leave case open and rev it up
    Everything post OK?
    Check airflow is directing as intended
    Power off
    Close case and get OS install CD.
    Enjoy.

Here is a list of stuff I check before hitting the "On" button:

Is the CPU fan properly secure?
    Are all the power sockets on the MB filled? GFX Card has no gaping power sockets unfilled?
    Case power buttons are definitely right?
    All Drives have Power and SATA Cables?
    Nothing interfering with fans? Dangling wires etc?
    RAM is definitely in tight?
    Power button is switched to "On" at the back of the PSU? :)

Good luck and have fun building! It's quite a nice feeling when it boots up for the first time. And don't panic if it doesn't - they don't break. (Unless of course a part was faulty to begin with but that's rare)

Just wondering but should you unplug the HDD if you want to install the OS on your SSD and then plug it back in after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Just wondering but should you unplug the HDD if you want to install the OS on your SSD and then plug it back in after?

No harm in doing that. The OS should ask you which disk you want to install to anyway but if you are unsure then it will give you some peace of mind. :)

So I put it all together, hooked the monitor, mouse, keyboard and plugged it in. I get a message on the monitor saying "no signal". Im using a DVI cable to connect my screen to the graphics card. I reckoned the graphics card wasn't getting power because its fan was the only 1 not spinning. Then I realised there was another cable coming from the PSU which has "PCI express" written on it. Since the graphics card is in a PCI slot I figured this cable must be for powering the PCI slot. There was only 1 place on the mother board where I could plug this cable, a socket labelled "ATX12V1" so I plug it in, try to boot it up but nothing happens. So I unplug the cable from the ATX12V1 socket and now when I press the power button the light comes on and all the fans (except the gfx card fan) spin for a second and then it all dies.

Any suggestion for a fix? My gfx card is a club 3d radeon hd 7750.

So I put it all together, hooked the monitor, mouse, keyboard and plugged it in. I get a message on the monitor saying "no signal". Im using a DVI cable to connect my screen to the graphics card. I reckoned the graphics card wasn't getting power because its fan was the only 1 not spinning. Then I realised there was another cable coming from the PSU which has "PCI express" written on it. Since the graphics card is in a PCI slot I figured this cable must be for powering the PCI slot. There was only 1 place on the mother board where I could plug this cable, a socket labelled "ATX12V1" so I plug it in, try to boot it up but nothing happens. So I unplug the cable from the ATX12V1 socket and now when I press the power button the light comes on and all the fans (except the gfx card fan) spin for a second and then it all dies.

Any suggestion for a fix? My gfx card is a club 3d radeon hd 7750.

I've only limited knowledge on the topic but I'm almost sure the PCI express cable plugs into the GPU not into the motherboard. What have you got plugged into your GPU?

I can't see anywhere to plug anything into the GPU! Its not plugged into anything, its just slotted into the PCI slot. I might take it out again and have another look.

I can't see anywhere to plug anything into the GPU! Its not plugged into anything, its just slotted into the PCI slot. I might take it out again and have another look.

I think there should be a slot at the fan end at the side I think.

• Advertisement

7750 doesn't require auxiliary power, it can take it from the PCI slot.

7750 doesn't require auxiliary power, it can take it from the PCI slot.

Sorry. My bad OP.

Well then obviously my PCI slot isn't receiving power...

4 pin power plug?

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Sorry. My bad OP.

Don't worry about, all help is appreciated, Im giving it another try now.

There is ony 1 4 pin coming from my PSU, its blue and it says "CP" on it like this:

1531hme.png

There is another 6 pin plug that looks like the one on the left in this pic:

pcie6.jpg

There is only 1 place on my mobo where these 2 can go. Its just above the CPU fan, it has 8 slots and its labelled "ATX12V1"

That's CPU power, and needs to be connected. Should be an 8-pin or 4 + 4 to go into that.

I hope you#ve read the manual regards what goes where on your mainboard Mr :)

That 6 pin is for a gfx card you may not need it.

• Advertisement

You won't need the PCI-E 6 pin. You do need the CPU 8 pin /whatever configuration it is to go into the socket beside the CPU.

Advertisement