Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online PC building guides.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You don't need to buy cable ties from maplin, there's usually a few in the boxes holding cables together.

In the first pic, that's not "CP" on the plug, it's "CPU1". Some motherboards take 4 pins, some take 8. Looks like you have four, so plug that in. The second pic for graphics card. These can be 8-pin too so they sometimes look very similar to the CPU ones.

Edit: Oops a bit slow at the posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I (and everyone else) forgot to ask...

Having fun? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ok it all boots up fine now and everything seems to be receiving power as it should, the CPU is a bit slow to get going it stutters a bit before spinning properly, but i don't think thats a problem?

Anyway the main problem now is that my monitor isn't receiving signal. The output on my GPU is DVI and the input on my monitor is DVI-D so im just using a DVI cable since that fits into both. That should work shouldn't it? I can't use a hdmi cable since its not compatible with my monitor.

Edit: theres a 46 inch HD TV upstairs that has HDMI input....

MadYaker wrote: »
    Ok it all boots up fine now and everything seems to be receiving power as it should, the CPU is a bit slow to get going it stutters a bit before spinning properly, but i don't think thats a problem?

Anyway the main problem now is that my monitor isn't receiving signal. The output on my GPU is DVI and the input on my monitor is DVI-D so im just using a DVI cable since that fits into both. That should work shouldn't it? I can't use a hdmi cable since its not compatible with my monitor.

DVI-D and DVI are something you dont need to worry about - that wont be the issue the two are compatible.

Have you made sure the gfx card is seated properly. Are you hearing a 'post' Beep. Are there any diagnostic lights on the mainboard - which are in the manual.

My manual must be sh*te because there is noting in it about any lights on the motherboard. I just tried to boot it up there to see if i could hear the beep or see any lights and now it wont boot properly!! All the fans spin for less than a second and then stop. If i press the button again nothing happens. If i switch off the PSU and then switch it back on and then press the power button the same thing happens again :confused:

• Advertisement

IT fairly normal (for me) to come across this type of problem - when you find it you'll kick yourself becuase its something silly.

MB may not have diag lights not all do.

Have you gone though the manual section by section making sire all the components are in correctly and seated properly?

It boots up fine if i take out the GPU so Im guessing thats the problem, maybe it wasn't seated properly, ill put it back in and try again.

The retention clip can be a bit of a pain so that might be it - are you sure the gfx card doesnt need external power?

When you say "boots up" what do you mean? A post beep or just the fans spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

You'd want to make sure that the power lead you have plugged into the motherboard is the correct one. Check the manual of your PSU to ensure you are using the correct one.

The extra juice is to power the PCIe slots so if there is not enough power there the GFX card won't boot properly.

It could also be that it is not seated properly - there is usually but not always a clip on the far side of the slot which ensures the card is fully in. You might have to press firmly to get it to click. If there is not a clip, be sure that tightening the card to the case slot is not dislodging it.

The gfx card doesn't need external power, and there is a clip to hold it in place. Im fairly certain its seated properly.

When I say "boots up" I mean the light inside the PSU comes on, all the fans start to spin and there is a beep but it sounds like its coming from the DVD drive...

Im fairly sure the power lead for the motherboard is in the right place, its a 20 pin + a 4 pin and there is only 1 place on the motherboard where it can go.

• Advertisement

unplug the dvd power and see if you still get the beep - its important to find out if you're getting a POST beep

ITS ALLIIIVEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Installing windows now :D

Told you its fun!

Thanks for all your help guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

MadYaker wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help guys!

How was it as a whole? Ordering as soon as Ulster Bank gets sorted haha.

Putting the processor and the ram onto the mobo is a bit stressful, I kept thinking i was going to break something or not be grounded properly and fry the whole the whole thing. Apart from that it was grand.

I've yet to static damage a component in 16 years of messing with PCs - I personally think its a myth.

Well unless you skate round on your axminster for twenty mins.

Advertisement