Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy ceramic glaze?

Options
  • 02-07-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I recently started customising dinner plates using water slide transfer paper. They look great from a distance, but the decal leaves a bit of a “rim” at the edge and up close it just looks like a sticker on the plate. I was thinking that maybe if I was to glaze the plates with some type of ceramic glaze on the front, it might give them a nice even finish.

Does anyone know if there’s a ceramic glaze you can buy that would do the trick? Ideally I’d like something you can fire in a domestic oven to set, if that's possible? It’s just a hobby so I don’t really want to have to hire a kiln etc. Otherwise, if anyone had any ideas for getting a nice smooth finish once a decal is applied to a plate/ bowl, I’d be very grateful. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 artsycraftsy

Hi, I was having the same problem with the water slide transfers. I presume you dont intend to use the plates if your putting these decals on them. If so, I was just using a matt or gloss clear varnish (galeria from art and hobby shops) depending on the finish you want. It wont completely get rid of the edge but makes it more blended with surface. I paint the matt varnish on first onto bisque then when dry I apply decal, then when that's dry I apply another coat of varnish. (I dont apply a first layer of varnish to work that's glazed.)
    If the plates you are decorating are already glazed you wont be able to apply another glaze on top (they have to be fired 1000+ degrees). I am trying to find out how to add decals that can be fired onto the glaze myself (as in not just stuck on as discussed above), for pieces that can be functional. I havnt been able to find out how though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Laura Rua

Good idea about the varnish. I did actually want the plates to be useable though so it might just come to buying unfinished bisqueware, applying decals, glazing and firing. There are some lovely looking ones on Etsy so I wonder how they did those. Will keep you posted if I find out any more. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 artsycraftsy

That would be great thanks, Id love to know how it is done!
    Yea i dont know about using the decals on plates that are to be used, I think the decal would gradually rub off if not glazed on. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭callee

Hi Irealise there have been no posts here for a while but I was unsure where else to post. I'm getting some ceramic decals printed up on an A3 sheet and I don't have enough images to fill the whole sheet if anyone would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

callee wrote: »
    Hi Irealise there have been no posts here for a while but I was unsure where else to post. I'm getting some ceramic decals printed up on an A3 sheet and I don't have enough images to fill the whole sheet if anyone would be interested.

Hey Called,
    Did you get these done? I'd be interested if you were getting more printed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭callee

Hi makeandcreate
    I will be getting some more done pm me with you're email address and I'll send some photos of the last pieces I did so you can see how the decals turn out.

Advertisement