Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting letter from the Irish Times letters page

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Montenotte ............ the Castleknock of Cork. Do yourself a favour girl and GTFO of that little eco system and into the real world. And reconsider staying in the system that you studied for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Quite naive really for two reasons.

1. Writing a letter like that to the Irish Times and now having her name thrown around public forums on the internet.

2. Expecting a job just because she completed a degree/masters/whatever, a third level institute provides training for a profession, it dosen't say anywhere that they have to get you a job.

She needs to knuckle down now and realise that some things in life don't come handed on a plate. It's a case of, how badly does one want it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe she wants to be a Judge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i do not know why everyone is so shocked that this well educated girl may have to leave ireland to find work, the central statistics office[CSO] in ireland,has confirmed that more than 1,000 young irish people are leaving ireland for britain EVERY WEEK and many are choosing london and the southwest postcodes around clapham over the customary north,dont blame the young graduates,blame the goverment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

I fear there are so many logical errors in your thought process here that not only can I not understand this but the universe even may implode in upon itself!

Let's put it simply for you so:

I used the word "stupid".

You used the word "stupid" in your reply.

I did not mean exactly the same thing by the word "stupid" as you did.

That means we both used the word "stupid" in a different context.

If you still think there are logical errors in this, I'll take you at your word that you just don't understand! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

A fine example of the dilemma of the modern graduate generation; being encouraged (forced) by their patents to go to college & uni "so they can get a better job than I did & won't have to face what I did" ideology, choosing degrees based on the highest points they attained in stupid a state exam matrix rather than choosing by what actually inspires them passionately to a profession.
    Now having to leave the comforting nest of home & fearing the "big bad world outside" as a result of kite-parenting & small mindedness one throws their nose up to the prospects of opportunities and life-fulfilling experience brought with travel on foreign soils.
    Much like the hiring embargo of the HSE to recent graduates designed to force kids to go get experience elsewhere to return to a better paid job at home as adults, the writer should follow suit, just don't forget to switch off the lights on your way out..

getz wrote: »
    i do not know why everyone is so shocked that this well educated girl may have to leave ireland to find work, the central statistics office[CSO] in ireland,has confirmed that more than 1,000 young irish people are leaving ireland for britain EVERY WEEK and many are choosing london and the southwest postcodes around clapham over the customary north,dont blame the young graduates,blame the goverment.
    Don't forget Kilburn for the Iro-Caribbean (limerick-jamacian) factor :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

hytrogen wrote: »
    Don't forget Kilburn for the Iro-Caribbean (limerick-jamacian) factor :-P
    not many coming over from the caribbean now-a-days ,most who are here are second or third generation,on the irish factor britain has always been a welcome for the irish worker,most of who stayed on and married a native, the biggest change has been the young highly educated irish who are now arriving in the thousands.

getz wrote: »
    not many coming over from the caribbean now-a-days ,most who are here are second or third generation...
    Might be cuz they realised that Zion was actually in Ethiopia & they missed the connecting flight from Heathrow :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm struggling to understand how she could have got all these qualifications without any work experience at all?
    Surely you have to complete some internships in your studies? And don't people work during holidays any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

ha I went to college with her, someone posted a link of the article on her facebook to but comments are just from friends obviously but doubt she has seen the negative ones on the forums - probably will come to regret that letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Shenshen wrote: »
    And don't people work during holidays any more?

Noob, where were you for the celtic tiger:rolleyes::p

Boombastic wrote: »
    Noob, where were you for the celtic tiger:rolleyes::p

Germany ;):p

Germany ;):p

:D Touche

tmc86 wrote: »
    but doubt she has seen the negative ones on the forums - probably will come to regret that letter

Probably is correct.

First thing most employers probably do these days is do a google search on your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

newport2 wrote: »
    Let's put it simply for you so:

I used the word "stupid".

You used the word "stupid" in your reply.

I did not mean exactly the same thing by the word "stupid" as you did.

That means we both used the word "stupid" in a different context.

If you still think there are logical errors in this, I'll take you at your word that you just don't understand! ;)

Broccoli algebra sideswipe kingfisher but then albatross greatly admonishment exacerbate indigo left by the and effluent ferry-crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Ficheall wrote: »
    Broccoli algebra sideswipe kingfisher but then albatross greatly admonishment exacerbate indigo left by the and effluent ferry-crossing.

Exactly. Cross-dressing rhubarb too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What's the odds she's looking for a job in policy making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

They are a very angry mob in the deep south ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I'm struggling to understand how she could have got all these qualifications without any work experience at all?
    Surely you have to complete some internships in your studies? And don't people work during holidays any more?

She might of had experience in the law field but she doesn't what to do that any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Although the letter is a bit over the top, it is a bit rubbish that people who have done well in school and then college are struggling to find work in this country. Emgrating is not everyone's cup of tea. Ideally, educated young people could stay here and find work.

The fact is that, like many, this girl did as she was told by getting into a good degree, completing this degree and then completing a Masters.

The self-entitled part comes from the fact that you are told from the second you hit secondary school that if you do well in school and you get a good degree, you will do well in life. Reality is hitting home for this girl, which may not be a bad thing, but I wouldn't really blame her for feeling the way she does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Nice to see the so-called "Celtic Tiger Cubs" haven't lost their sense of entitlement because of the recession.

You don't want to do the job you're qualified for? Have fun stacking shelves or waiting tables so because you have zero useful experience or salable skills.

Most people would kill to be in this young ones position but she whinging about it because she can't have what she wants :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

She comes a cross very badly. Met many graduates with the same attitude. After being told in college her qualification is brilliant they have to face reality they have no real knowledge.
    No display of working in a team or with a boss.
    I remember graduates after about a month of work saying how bad the company was run. Many companies ran graduate program's specifically to keep them in control. Scores in exams say very little about ability. Lots of people have good memories but are not good with understanding.
    I doubt she has actually tried for jobs in other countries as she will run into the same problem.
    20 people interviewed 8 got to the personality test 2 passed and 1 passed the manager. For relatively low entry job and you needed 2 years experience. Why would people even interview her if she has not even wanted to work in the field.

Jester252 wrote: »
    She might of had experience in the law field but she doesn't what to do that any more

Well, then she'll need to either gather experience in another field or go back to college...
    Just because she's got a degree in law doesn't mean I'd let her mind my child, or pull a tooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Reading that letter and this thread makes me appreciate very much that I didn't graduate in a recession. I do have sympathy for a graduate coming out of collage at this time. I work in the legal profession and there are very limited opportunities for graduates now but with the right attitude and determination people (unconnected) can break into it.

This girl however doesn't seem to have the right attitude. Law is a slog and it always has been for everybody working in it and she needs to learn that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

smash wrote: »
    Put it this way:

For some reason people think that because they have completed college, they are then automatically entitled to a high paying, high power job. This is not true.

I don't know if the author is expecting a high paid high powered job, but my point was we should have a sense of entitlement to a job that actually pays us. To expect to be able to get an entry level job in your own country should not be viewed as having grandiose notions of yourself or your abilities. While the internship scheme may be relevant to some people in some sectors, it is destroying the very jobs new graduates and unemployed people should be able to get.

I am employed but am trying to get a training contract in the legal field and I know how hard it is. I have been advised in interviews that I should work for free, and in fact told that some trainees are now offering to pay their training solicitor for the privilege of training with them. I think this is a becoming more common in all industries and we will end up in a place where only the children of rich families succeed as they are the ones who will be able to get ahead if their chosen profession has normalised this practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

http://lawsociety.ie/Pages/Legal_Vacancies/708-Legal-Intern/

I hope she is reading this, in Cork and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

McCrack wrote: »
    http://lawsociety.ie/Pages/Legal_Vacancies/708-Legal-Intern/

I hope she is reading this, in Cork and all.

Off-topic, but I thought while it is ok to work unpaid a san intern, or be paid minimum wage, but how can jobs be advertised sub-minimum wage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Sala wrote: »

I don't know if the author is expecting a high paid high powered job, but my point was we should have a sense of entitlement to a job that actually pays us. To expect to be able to get an entry level job in your own country should not be viewed as having grandiose notions of yourself or your abilities.
    If they are telling her she has no experience and that is why she is not being considered that says something. She isn't going for an entry level job. Many companies are still hiring and not everything has gone to jobs bridge.
    She is no longer looking for a legal job. Many solicitors have moved into compliance. From what she has said she has some vision where the rest of the world will treat her differently. I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

My struggle is against the idea that one must now work for free in order to gain the experience necessary for meaningful employment.

The lazy mofo. Solictors and barristers are expected to work for a pittance (or nothing) for a couple of years to gain experience, it's standard practice. Her attitude is simply 'giz a job' with no relevant experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

had it up to my oxters with these posh kids whinging about emigrating. When the going gets tough they turn their backs and go for the easy ride. The celtic tiger generation.

the emigration section of IT was full of these clowns. I know one guy who is living off his mum's money in australia, wrote in to the paper and whined about having to leave ireland to find work.

These chancers need to realise that the disney world years are over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

McCrack wrote: »
    Reading that letter and this thread makes me appreciate very much that I didn't graduate in a recession. I do have sympathy for a graduate coming out of collage at this time. I work in the legal profession and there are very limited opportunities for graduates now but with the right attitude and determination people (unconnected) can break into it.

This girl however doesn't seem to have the right attitude. Law is a slog and it always has been for everybody working in it and she needs to learn that.

The bold bit. Absolutely correct. My family are completely unconnected to the legal game yet i managed to get into it and have a decent job. The "closed shop" talk always comes from people not willing to work their bollocks off. And thats what it takes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

I got offered a Big 4 paralegal job a few years back but turned it down. The thought of working with those legal **** and being the smartest person in the room was a big turn off!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

FishBowel wrote: »
    I got offered a Big 4 paralegal job a few years back but turned it down. The thought of working with those legal **** and being the smartest person in the room was a big turn off!

A big 4 firm offered you a job without you even needing to apply for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Exactly, I was working in law doing basic filing and stuff but had no qualifications.

Advertisement