Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank Duplicated My Wages!!

• 02-07-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭

They've only gone and paid me twice!

It's not my company's problem they say - their only communication thus far has been our financial controller telling us they will require a refund but no details as to how they'll do it...

So, be responsible and keep money in my account or be a dick and spend it on drugs and hookers? I think I know the AH answer already! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So did the money come twice from your companies account or some kind of ulster bank glitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Responsible, you could give it to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

You got paid for two weeks - same happened to my fella. It's not extra money, sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I think I know the AH answer already! :D

be a good person and give the money back.

minus a coke and hooker fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You did the right thing by coming to a public online forum and owning up. Now, drinks on you OP.

But yeah I'm guessing you just got paid in advance so I'd wait a bit before going nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Minus the 12.80 euro that they would have charged you if you went over your limit ! If that's their administration cost surely yours must be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Hi Op, I'm a senior official in the Nigerian government and I'm interested in communicating with people like yourself as I am involved in a project that needs investors who will receive a 1000% return on their investment. I would very much like to discuss this with you*.

*NB - the above may or may not be true :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If this was an internal banking error they'll be taking the money back and putting your account into the red if you've already withdrawn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

lol i wonder how many people will switch bank as soon as they get access to their money after this.

i stop using Ulster Bank after a bank manager got caught fiddling people's accounts but placing charges that fed into a personal account he owned. I got refunded £2500 back then and my mother got refunded £5000. More recently another ulster bank, manager in omagh was caught doing similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Withdraw it asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

They'll get you in the long grass. Tell them about it and return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Maybe they what to say sorry for you not getting paid for two weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

If it's your job that's paid you twice you'll have to pay it back. If it's the bank, **** em.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They'll just withdraw it whether its in your account or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

That's nothing - in May, their Athenry branch accidentally gave an unemployed single mother an €18m overdraft.

AN unemployed single mother with just 35 cents became a multi-millionaire for a few hours after her bank mistakenly deposited over €18m into her account.

When Laura Hughes (32) from Athenry, Co Galway, checked her Ulster Bank account on Thursday morning to see if she had received her carer's allowance for her disabled son, she was left lost for words when she realised she had €18,099, 425.99 in 'available funds'.

"I nearly died," said the mother of two young sons.

"Before I went to bed on Wednesday night I had 35c in my account, but when I checked on Thursday morning I thought I was seeing things. First I thought it was €18,500 but I quickly realised I had over €18m in the bank," she told the Irish Independent last night.

"I don't work, I'm a full-time carer to my two kids aged seven and four.

"I rang all my family straight away to tell them and I just assumed it was an error. I have internet banking on my phone and I kept checking to see if I still had the money.

"Then as a test I decided to transfer €9,000 from that account into another account, just to see if it would work. I started to really panic when it worked and everyone was telling me to run off and spend it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It won't make any difference.

If it's work they'll either ask for it back or more likely, just not pay you next payday.

If it's the bank they'll just take it back or if you spend it put you in the red if needs be.

Either way you'll never 'benefit' from a bank error. Real life is not like playing Monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

smash wrote: »
    So did the money come twice from your companies account or some kind of ulster bank glitch?

It's an UB glitch. The company were very clear in pointing this out.

as far as I'm aware, they can't take it back out without your permission (meaning you just dont give them permission, they chase you through courts etc and you agree to pay them 10 a week till it's cleared).

I've also been told that under the data protection act, my account holder cannot disclose my details to UB meaning I even need to give them permission before they even contact me*

In general, I know it's gonna have to be paid back at some stage...it's just a bitch looking at it in the account and not being able to spend it on coke and hookers...

*could be bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

In typical **** banking fashion, they can't sort out an IT glitch that has royally ****ed up millions of people's lives for weeks but if they've overpaid you by a dime they'll be on you like a cheap suit. Spend it if you can afford to pay it back because they will definitely cop on to at some stage. Pricks.

Merkin wrote: »
    In typical **** banking fashion, they can't sort out an IT glitch that has royally ****ed up millions of people's lives for weeks but if they've overpaid you by a dime they'll be on you like a cheap suit. Spend it if you can afford to pay it back because they will definitely cop on to at some stage. Pricks.

yeah they know all about it and have told our financial controller we must refund it - the debate raging at home and in work is that they can't take it back without permission, and what happens if that permission isn't given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So, be responsible and keep money in my account or be a dick and spend it on drugs and hookers? I think I know the AH answer already! :D
    Responsibility or drugs?? That's a though one. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

32 red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

They'll get you in the long grass. Tell them about it and return it.
    Either way you'll never 'benefit' from a bank error. Real life is not like playing Monopoly.

Not neccesarily, i've "benefited" from a bank error, about 7 or 8 years ago - they're hardly going to cop it now! I done the honourable thing and left the money there expecting them to take it back, but when a month, then 2, then almost 3 went by and no sign of them copping it, i took it out and got a nice suit for a friends wedding, a dirty weekend in waterford and still had a few quid left over.
    Fúck you EBS, fúck you sideways:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was once overpaid by my work via my Bank of Ireland account. I was good enough to tell my work and they subsequently reduced my next paycheck to account for the overpayment.

Yep - that's banks. One cent overpaid to a customer is accounted for but big fat bonuses for inept chairpersons of the Board are grand.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Call them and return it. Just because it's credited to your account doesn't make it yours.

However if you do decide to spend it your best bet would be to use the money to ensure your dependents are comfortable when you're inevitably arrested. For example many criminals forget that in some instances it may take several weeks before their family can become eligible for any kind of social welfare and depending on your circumstances that could mean a very lean time for them ahead.

Also, unless you work for Ulster Bank, your employer was debited twice to give you this windfall so you should put a bit aside for CV printing costs etc when you're released and discover you were fired.

Still though, whatever you do try and enjoy it. End of the day the worst you're looking at is probably probation! ;)

Call them and return it. Just because it's credited to your account doesn't make it yours.

However if you do decide to spend it your best bet would be to use the money to ensure your dependents are comfortable when you're inevitably arrested. For example many criminals forget that in some instances it may take several weeks before their family can become eligible for any kind of social welfare and depending on your circumstances that could mean a very lean time for them ahead.

Also, unless you work for Ulster Bank, your employer was debited twice to give you this windfall so you should put a bit aside for CV printing costs etc when you're released and discover you were fired.

Still though, whatever you do try and enjoy it. End of the day the worst you're looking at is probably probation! ;)

f*ck me, your sunny outlook is much appreciated on such a dreary day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I heard that all Ulster Bank customers were going to get paid in Rupees from now on, to avoid any future confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

It's not my company's problem they say - their only communication thus far has been our financial controller telling us they will require a refund but no details as to how they'll do it...

If you want to keep the money, I'd advice you shut up about it and stop bragging about it on the internet or anywhere else for that matter.

f*ck me, your sunny outlook is much appreciated on such a dreary day

How much was it btw, is it worth going to jail for? :D

seriously I think there is usually something in contract's about errors in wages and paying it back.
    I'm sure the bank have some clause about errors and refunds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Unless you are working for an elderly old man there is hardly anything immoral abour robbing a weeks wages off a wealthy firm. tbh most people dont meticilously look at their bank statements and balances, in the unlikely event of being caught just feign ignorance of how much you have. FFS Harry Redknapp got acquitted of tax fraud by standing up in court and claiming to be an illiterate retard who had absolutely no idea how his bank accounts even worked, saying that it was all in the hands of his paid accountants. He even claimed to have been writing a newspaper column for 18 months without realising he had never been paid to do it. Well played Arry :pac:

Pedant wrote: »
    If you want to keep the money, I'd advice you shut up about it and stop bragging about it on the internet or anywhere else for that matter.

Eh, believe it or not, my real name is not Mr The Big Biffo ya know. And I'd hardly call it bragging.
    hondasam wrote: »
    How much was it btw, is it worth going to jail for? :D

seriously I think there is usually something in contract's about errors in wages and paying it back.
    I'm sure the bank have some clause about errors and refunds.

It was 1 months wages - not worth going to jail for no. but they'd hardly stick you in the slammer for spending it without giving you a chance to pay it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Oh the humanity!!!!!!!!!

It was 1 months wages - not worth going to jail for no. but they'd hardly stick you in the slammer for spending it without giving you a chance to pay it back!

It would be different if you were unaware of the double payment. In fact if you were to have spent it immediately you could have claimed it was their fault as obviously as an Ulster Bank customer you can't access your account so have to trust their workings.

However the fact you were quickly aware of the mistake is how you could get into trouble if you were to spend it.

Of course not.
    This did happen to my OH a good few years ago, he never heard a thing about it, he said nothing at the time and no one noticed.
    I would take the chance with spending it, fcuk it consider it an overdraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

yeah they know all about it and have told our financial controller we must refund it - the debate raging at home and in work is that they can't take it back without permission, and what happens if that permission isn't given.

When you say financial controller, do you mean your employers?

If your employers didn't make a second lodgement of same wages but UB credited 2 weeks, it really has nothing to do with your employers at all. So the bank really can't be asking your employer to refund them something that is nowt to do with them.

• Advertisement

When you say financial controller, do you mean your employers?

If your employers didn't make a second lodgement of same wages but UB credited 2 weeks, it really has nothing to do with your employers at all. So the bank really can't be asking your employer to refund them something that is nowt to do with them.

I'd imagine they're only getting onto the financial controller to ensure that the employees who benefited from Ulster Bank's mistake are aware that it's occurred meaning they can't claim they spent it "in error".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'd imagine they're only getting onto the financial controller to ensure that the employees who benefited from Ulster Bank's mistake are aware that it's occurred meaning they can't claim they spent it "in error".

I really wouldn't be happy with my bank discussing any of my account details with my employer, beyond what is needed for my employer to get my wages into my pocket.

What's next they tell my employer I'm overdrawn, that I missed a payment in a loan, what I bought with my debit card? There's a line they shouldn't cross.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I really wouldn't be happy with my bank discussing any of my account details with my employer, beyond what is needed for my employer to get my wages into my pocket.

What's next they tell my employer I'm overdrawn, that I missed a payment in a loan, what I bought with my debit card? There's a line they shouldn't cross.

Dead right. Sure that would be in breach of data protection legislation anyway.

However in this case Ulster bank is obviously responsible for crediting thebigbiggo and thebigbiffo's colleagues with wages on a monthly basis on behalf of thebigbiffo's employer. It seems likely that they realised that they had credited them twice and then notified the employer to pass on the message about the erroneous payment.

In all fairness this is actually a good thing because even if you were to spend the extra salary accidentally it's extremely likely you'd be responsible for repaying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Responsible, you could give it to charity.

Why would you give it to charity?

If it's paid erroneously and they know about it you can be sure they won't be long about looking for it back, then the guy's down his months pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Even still. I would expect the bank to contact me, not the bank to tell my employer to tell me. I pay the bank to handle my money, not my employer.

But then again all the banks in Ireland are shockingly incompetent, so I of course they're going to take the lazy option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Paid twice. Nice one!

That's the exact opposite of my situation, No pay for 2 weeks now.

Sh*t is gonna get real if I don't get paid soon.

Schism wrote: »
    Why would you give it to charity?

If it's paid erroneously and they know about it you can be sure they won't be long about looking for it back, then the guy's down his months pay.

It was a joke. Charity begins at home and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

It was a joke. Charity begins at home and all that.

You got that right! any chance of a tenner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

THAT MONEY WAS JUST RESTING IN MY ACCOUNT....

this is my excuse

Schism wrote: »
    You got that right! any chance of a tenner?

send me on your bank details :p

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Keep it. Banks have fûcked enough people over already, now it's your turn to do that to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

haha duplicate payment i would say keep it,they wouldnt have a conscience about doing you wrong..and yeah ill give an AH answer enjoy it drugs and hookers and that..its extra pay you mightnt see again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Dead right. Sure that would be in breach of data protection legislation anyway.

However in this case Ulster bank is obviously responsible for crediting thebigbiggo and thebigbiffo's colleagues with wages on a monthly basis on behalf of thebigbiffo's employer. It seems likely that they realised that they had credited them twice and then notified the employer to pass on the message about the erroneous payment.

In all fairness this is actually a good thing because even if you were to spend the extra salary accidentally it's extremely likely you'd be responsible for repaying them.

How is it any less of a breach of the data protection act discussing an over payment with the employer? If they took the money twice from the employer there would be a case for informing the employer that money had been taken twice, but I still do not think there would be a case for stating where the money went.

It is very far from a good thing, and I would suggest the OP looks at how they can make a formal complaint against the bank. I would imagine they have procedures on how to deal with this, and I would expect that they do not involve speaking with people that have no connection to the account. Paying money into an account should not constitute a connection to the account.

Who knows OP maybe you can sue them for a few months wages for disclosing information about your account to 3rd parties ;)

As for the double payment, I'd say you're screwed and will have to pay it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

we have some prize contenders for Irish Bank of the decade - Anglo, Irish Nationwide, AIB

So congratulations Ulster bank , on its late run , on banking incompetence

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Still not paid for the last 2 weeks... OP, you'd better not have MY money!

• Advertisement
Advertisement