Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One third of students at lectures are hungover!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Lionel Hutz: "No! Sh!t Sherlock!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Mad ou'f i'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

in other news, Ireland experiences rain today.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

id love to know the percent of people who dont go because they are hungover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Asked to guess how many students would be suffering from the after effects of alcohol on a typical Monday morning, the French lecturer estimated that it would be one third of the students would have a hangover.

well this says it all. she has no idea how many students are hungover, it is a total guess. obviously some are going to be hungover but we cant take a guess from a lecturer to be an accurate statistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

ShutUpMeg wrote: »
    Any student receiving a grant should have money revoked if they are found to have been abusing alcohol and or drugs.;)

troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Lets just clarify this:
    A lecturer at NUI Galway has revealed that up to up to one third of the students attending her classes come in with hangovers and expressed the belief that alcohol has become a serious problem in our colleges.

This is someone's opinion. I wonder how she came to this conclusion. did she breathalyse students ? Conduct a survery ???

Most likely they just look hungover becuase her lectures are boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

alcohol causes hangovers?

:eek: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Any student receiving a grant should have money revoked if they are found to have been abusing alcohol and or drugs.;)

careful now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

a sober one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Wash aboush lecturershesh? Do they tesht them? Hmm? Answer me!

Oh wait you're a bollard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Maybe some are just tired or maybe the college where RAG week was canceled due to it causing a lot of damage from drinking related issues has a problem with drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

eoins23456 wrote: »
    id love to know the percent of people who dont go because they are hungover

This!

I went to college for three years and never attended any lecture on a Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The other 2/3 are still at home in bed :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Wonder what percentage of lectures show up to give classes on a Monday hungover!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Maybe she's just very boring and the students are tired listening to her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Why not base it on their grades? Surely that's a better way to gauge who the government should be putting through college.
    Lets just clarify this:

This is someone's opinion. I wonder how she came to this conclusion. did she breathalyse students ? Conduct a survery ???

Most likely they just look hungover becuase her lectures are boring

If you saw me at 9 on a typical Monday morning "bleary-eyed" would be a complete understatement and that's without ever having touched a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

She probably just has an awful personality. I'm sure she meets a lot of hungover people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

One third? It seems the percentage has decreased. This is indeed good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Well at least they're preparing themselves for entering the work force properly.............

• Advertisement

This!

I went to college for three years and never attended any lecture on a Friday.

Yeah lectures on a friday are bad.also on a wednesday cos tuesday and thursday are the going out nights in our college. Then theres those ones on monday that are hard to make because you are up late at the weekend. Tuesday and thursday are the good days :pac:

Yeah lectures on a friday are bad.also on a wednesday cos tuesday and thursday are the going out nights in our college. Then theres those ones on monday that are hard to make because you are up late at the weekend. Tuesday and thursday are the good days :v

Jaysus ye have it awful tough :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I'm sure you could say that about a lot of people in work today too (Damn you Spain with your sexy style of football that made me drink copious anounts of wine last night while sing "Viva Espana").

mackg wrote: »
    If you saw me at 9 on a typical Monday morning "bleary-eyed" would be a complete understatement and that's without ever having touched a drink.

Hell I still look that way now and its officially Monday afternoon. I haven't touch a drop since Friday night/Saturday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

duh, it's GALWAY

derp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The other two thirds are still drunk, or stoned.:D

Frankly she should consider herself lucky they bother to turn up at all :pac:

If I had a hangover I woulnd't be going to a French lecture

Frankly she should consider herself lucky they bother to turn up at all :pac:

If I had a hangover I woulnd't be going to a French lecture
    Yes any student who fights the will to stay in bed in the morning after a night out to go to french should be knighted :pac:

• Advertisement

Yes any student who fights the will to stay in bed in the morning after a night out to go to french should be knighted :pac:

I had a saucy French lecturer for a year in College, to be fair to her she had some 'mi-wadi' on her tho not the best face but I'd defo have still given her one in the jax after a lecture. Anyway my point is that even this French Milf in her short skirts couldn't get me into French class anymore than 10 times over the whole year. I gave up French after that year cos we were getting a fella to lecture us who defo would have failed me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

GastroBoy wrote: »
    No sh1t sherlock!!
    its Ireland...

kfallon wrote: »
    I had a saucy French lecturer for a year in College, to be fair to her she had some 'mi-wadi' on her tho not the best face but I'd defo have still given her one in the jax after a lecture. Anyway my point is that even this French Milf in her short skirts couldn't get me into French class anymore than 10 times over the whole year. I gave up French after that year cos we were getting a fella to lecture us who defo would have failed me :o
    They should just schedule the lectures and tutorials with milfs in mini skirts and the hot lecturers towards the end of the day haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Jesus what a shít article. Can't believe they're basing it all on one persons guess. If they went out and asked 5 people it'd have more relevance. If she said 87% I wonder would they have run with that story?

if they did actually do some proper research and had accurate figures it would make for a much more interesting read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

So what? It's the student's decision at the end of the day.

I'm starting college in September and I want the experience college life, hung over or not.
    It's been happening for years and years before this so what's the problem.

I'm going to work because I'm not a waster but damn I want to have a good time as well!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

only 1/3?
    numbers seem to be decreasing -.-

numbers are about 50 or 60 percent on the morning after a going out night id say

I wonder how many people after dragging themselves a few hours across the country to get in for the lecture look "hungover" on a Monday morning when they're just tired.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

they have a curer on the way in
    fresh as a daisy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ARLP

Sounds pretty standard for NUI Galway.

Good luck getting a job when you graduate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

ARLP wrote: »
    Sounds pretty standard for NUI Galway.

Good luck getting a job when you graduate.
    I'm an NUIG Arts graduate, I have a job. And a decent postgrad. Come at me.

Though, then again, I think I only ever came into a tutorial or lecture mildly hungover twice or three times in all of four years - and it didn't stop me doing anything.

I will say this much, final year lectures had an utterly dismal attendance rate. Some people just don't seem to get how useful it is to turn up and actually interact with the lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Ruire wrote: »
    I'm an NUIG Arts graduate, I have a job. And a decent postgrad. Come at me.

Though, then again, I think I only ever came into a tutorial or lecture mildly hungover twice or three times in all of four years - and it didn't stop me doing anything.

I didn't come into college the morning after drinking either.

I've got a great job and I'm an NUIG grad.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I didn't come into college the morning after drinking either.

I've got a great job and I'm an NUIG grad.:cool:
    Well, I did, I was just very rarely incapacitated. I hate not turning up.

Still, prejudices gonna prejudice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

1ZRed wrote: »
    So what? It's the student's decision at the end of the day.

I'm starting college in September and I want the experience college life, hung over or not.
    It's been happening for years and years before this so what's the problem.

I'm going to work because I'm not a waster but damn I want to have a good time as well!

haha you say that now but we'll see you back on here this time next year looking for help with your repeats coming up! :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Does a bear sh*t in the woods? Like this is news?

I was rarely able to make Friday morning lectures in my college years becuase of Thursday nights.:D*

*As I did science in college, I actually had more than 7 hours of lectures a week, had morning classes and had labs to do too.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

there is deffo a social scene at college,its useful to socailise and make contacts,you dont always have to go out for drinks though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

In other news, 3/3 of lecturers are grossly overpaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I don't think that I was ever any less than one third hungover at ANY lecture! :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

IrishAm wrote: »
    In other news, 3/3 of lecturers are grossly overpaid.

Careful now...I'm a lecturer.:mad:

I'd say that attendances at my lectures are worst on Fridays and Mondays. Many students seem to think the weekend
    starts on Thursday. Or maybe it's because I'm not a MILF in a mini skirt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

nbar12 wrote: »
    haha you say that now but we'll see you back on here this time next year looking for help with your repeats coming up! :p

Assuming I get into college in the first place of course! Fuck sake give me a fair shot at it in the first place! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement