Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One third of students at lectures are hungover!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Jesus what a shít article. Can't believe they're basing it all on one persons guess. If they went out and asked 5 people it'd have more relevance. If she said 87% I wonder would they have run with that story?

Given the realistic generalisation that all journos are pissed out of their skulls 24/7, it's only fair that they take the heat off themselves by putting another bunch of drunks in the frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Careful now...I'm a lecturer.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Monday is probably the day with the least amount of hungover people, Thursdays and Fridays (if people show up) are much worse. Anyway, I always speak foreign languages with much more confidence when I'm steamed so she should bring in a few bottles with her to help them kickstart the lecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Predalien wrote: »
    Monday is probably the day with the least amount of hungover people, Thursdays and Fridays (if people show up) are much worse. Anyway, I always speak foreign languages with much more confidence when I'm steamed so she should bring in a few bottles with her to help them kickstart the lecture.

Definitely! I'll be doing French in my course and nothing gets you going easier than a few beers. I can remember having drunken, fairly one sided conversations in French with people. It sounded good to me at the time though, regardless if anyone understood me or not!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

One third of me is hungover atm. My head.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

That french lecturer was on the Joe Duffy show the other day, giving out about people drinking on trains etc.. She doesnt like how us Irish seem to drink.. My answer to her would be - FEW NAGANS BE GRAAAND.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If students drank beer that wasn't f*cking muck, they'd have fewer hangovers. But no; You fools have to throw money at the likes of karpackie, orangeboom or dutch gold.

You have none to blame but yourselves. You filthy commoners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Does anyone actually listen in lectures anyhow ??!?!?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Sarky wrote: »
    If students drank beer that wasn't f*cking muck, they'd have fewer hangovers. But no; You fools have to throw money at the likes of karpackie, orangeboom or dutch gold.

You have none to blame but yourselves. You filthy commoners.

That's pretty much rubbish. Beer is beer when it comes to hangovers. Sure there'll be a slight difference depending on the sugars but even if you drink ten pints of the fanciest beer going you'll be just as hungover, if not moreso than drinking ten cans of Dutchy.

• Advertisement

Heineken is not "the fanciest beer going." I remain correct. Try harder.

Oh. You make stuff up to avoid looking clueless? Let me explain...

The idea that beers fall into the range of 4-5% alcohol is rooted in a very specific style of mass produced beer that's been poured down consumers throats. The range of alcohol percentages in beer really ranges from about 2% all the way to about 12% (without getting into novelty brews.) The vast majority of decent beer is somewhere in the 6% to 8% range. With a lot of outliers on the higher side.

So to say that drinking beer that isn't "muck" will result in less of a hangover is downright ignorant.

Edit: Even more than being a stupid thing to say it's a downright dangerous thing to say.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dutch Gold and Royal Dutch are very rank though - years back a mate drank about 12 tins of the latter and subsequently had a very messy conversation with the great white telephone for a whole day afterwards.:(

That convinced me never to touch the vile stuff.

Lyaiera wrote: »

The idea that beers fall into the range of 4-5% alcohol is rooted in a very specific style of mass produced beer that's been poured down consumers throats. The range of alcohol percentages in beer really ranges from about 2% all the way to about 12% (without getting into novelty brews.) The vast majority of decent beer is somewhere in the 6% to 8% range. With a lot of outliers on the higher side.

So to say that drinking beer that isn't "muck" will result in less of a hangover is downright ignorant.

Edit: Even more than being a stupid thing to say it's a downright dangerous thing to say.

None of that has anything to do with what I said. I think you're confusing "muck" with "weak". Again, incorrect.

None of that has anything to do with what I said. I think you're confusing "muck" with "weak". Again, incorrect.

Ok. I don't know how to debate with you. You literally don't say anything. You just waltz along and try a little put down. One's that really don't work because it's obvious I know far more about beer than you. I'm trying to figure out what you think you know about beer. But you really don't say anything. It's like debating with someone who just keeps saying, "Yeah, so's your face!"

You seem to think when people talk about good beer they're referring to Heineken.
    And you don't think that the majority of what is considered good beer is around the 6-8% range.

Apart from that, I don't know. v0v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Lyaiera wrote: »

Jaysus, cool the jets love. Maybe you need a beer. Or a ride.

Somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

The other two thirds are full of Starbuck's coffee and bragging about it.

Advertisement