Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird control

• 02-07-2012 12:19pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any experience of using a falconer to deter birds in a domestic situation?
    Cost versus effectiveness, would be the main concern.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

what sort of birds are you talking about and what are they doing to bother you,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

ronn wrote: »
    what sort of birds are you talking about and what are they doing to bother you,
    Magpies.
    They're not bothering me - it's an elderly couple in central Dublin who are being driven mad by these vermin.
    They're being woken at dawn, by magpies pecking at the skylights and generally making a mess and a racket at other times.
    Few birds have a greater ability to irritate so much, and be such a nuisance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

You could get a larsson trap to catch the magpies. But youd have to kill the birds yourself, Or you could try a decoy of an owl or hawk,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Yes, I'm thinking of a decoy- the Larssen trap would be impractical.
    Any idea where to get a decent Owl decoy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

There is a reason that they use Owl decoys to hunt Magpies....they will spend all of their time mobbing the decoy, which makes them easier to shoot.

So stay away from the Predator decoys unless you want to attract more magpies /crows

Only way to keep the magpies away from the house is to control their numbers. Best way to do this in an urban area has already been suggested....a larsen trap.

• Advertisement

fiacha wrote: »
    There is a reason that they use Owl decoys to hunt Magpies....they will spend all of their time mobbing the decoy, which makes them easier to shoot.

So stay away from the Predator decoys unless you want to attract more magpies /crows

Only way to keep the magpies away from the house is to control their numbers. Best way to do this in an urban area has already been suggested....a larsen trap.
    I was wondering if they might mob the decoy.
    I wonder if they'd mob it for a while and then stay away?
    How's about rat poison?

Advertisement