Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The R.A.G.E. SF2 Turbo Tournament - Dublin - July 30th

Options
  • 02-07-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

The R.A.G.E.on Fade Street, Dublin are running a SNES SF2T tournament on July 30th. It starts around 7pm.

I think you can sign up on their Facebook Page or in store.

This might be a good time to do a big recruitment drive for Inferno. There's 60 people liking the tournament link on the Facebook page already. Maybe someone should go in to R.A.G.E. and ask them if we can do some advertising during the tournament?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Turbo not Super Turbo?

Who is even good in that game?

I thought ST Deejay was a beast, but I dunno anything this particular version

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It's considered the most balanced of the original (CPS2? Any retro nerds want to correct me on that?) SF2 build, so therefore only has the original 12 characters in it.

Honda has butslam, no ochio, chun li has a fire ball, but no hazan shu, so a lot of the "signature" moves weren't settled on yet.

There's no supers either.

The colors are rather cool though, purple ken and Metalic Blue Guile.

I have no idea as to tiers, but I know Bison got pretty much the biggest nerf in the history of fighting games in it.

It's considered the most balanced of the original (CPS2? Any retro nerds want to correct me on that?) SF2 build, so therefore only has the original 12 characters in it.

I thought that was Hyper Fighting?

*googles*

Oh wait, this IS Hyper Fighting

*mind-blown*

I thought that was Hyper Fighting?

*googles*

Oh wait, this IS Hyper Fighting

*mind-blown*

Yes, turbo/hyper fighting/ special champion edition/ dash plus. All pretty much the same game.

I wonder what speed they'll be playing it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Why wouldn't they just use the 360 version of HF? It's the best port available.

• Advertisement

One assume because they're a retro shop?

I wish they'd play on xbox though, then I could use my stick...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not from what i've heard.

Also: SNES pad (he said, preparing to fix a classic stick...)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes, turbo/hyper fighting/ special champion edition/ dash plus. All pretty much the same game.

I wonder what speed they'll be playing it on.

From what I remember from my Turbo days, alot of people played on 4 star. Ofcourse you had to give it the old "up down L R Y B" during the intro to unlock 4-10 star speeds. Ah the memories :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

SF2T SNES is nothing like ST or even its arcade counterpart :pac:

Diff bloody game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well not quite. that would be like calling AE 2012 a "diff bloody game" to vanilla SF4.

ST has a bigger cast and added supers that Turbo didn't have. It's basically the same engine though.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Well not quite. that would be like calling AE 2012 a "diff bloody game" to vanilla SF4.

ST has a bigger cast and added supers that Turbo didn't have. It's basically the same engine though.

Actually isn't the same engine, they gave it and the graphics an overhaul in Super.

Although I don't know why Ramza said that in the first place as no one said it was the same, lol

Kiki said it wasn't as good a port as the XBLA one.

He's wrong. With the possible exception of the PC Engine port which I've never played, the XBLA version is by far the best.

PS1 and Saturn had random speed up/slow down issues. SNES and Mega Drive were missing many frames of animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kiki said it wasn't as good a port as the XBLA one.

He's wrong. With the possible exception of the PC Engine port which I've never played, the XBLA version is by far the best.

PS1 and Saturn had random speed up/slow down issues. SNES and Mega Drive were missing many frames of animation.

I've read various players complaining that it's a re-hash of the PS1 port, but maybe they were salty about the netcode :pac: I hear it was so bad, it is the single reason why GGPO exists. So... there's that! :pac:

Didn't the XBLA version get pulled off the market recently?

Turbo not Super Turbo?

Who is even good in that game?

I am. Flowchart Ken FTW :D

Turbo is drastically different from super turbo. Just normals and specials, no EX, no supers, no focus, no meters, no ultra, no alt versions of characters, and there are a few high end glitches like CPS chains (early, accidentally programmed versions of what became modern link combos) that make certain characters (guile) very strong at high levels of execution. Throws are single button + forward/back, and the only command throw in the game is Gief's SPD.

It was the last game on the CPS1 hardware, and only the second one where you could play the four original boss characters (after champion edition) and anyone who played at that time reckoned it was one of the best versions made (along with ST which was on the CPS2 hardware). It was certainly one of the most balanced. It's in my top 5 of all time street fighter games, and OG players love it. Only problem is the snes port (while very good for the 16 bit console limitations back in the day) was missing a lot of animation frames over the arcade versions, and ran slower than the arcade in Europe because of the difference between 50 and 60 hertz PAL & NTSC TV specs. The game has 4 speed settings, with 10 unlockable by cheat on the snes (down, R, Up, L, Y, B when the "turbo" logo scrolls across the screen at game start). Proper arcade speed on the pal version is about speed level 5 with the cheat entered.

The RAGE will likely be running the EU 50 Hertz PAL snes version (cos thats what they sell, and they won't know the difference anyway), but TBH, anybody active in the boards.ie FGC would be so much higher in basic street fighter standard than 90% of the people that show up that it probably won't make any difference in that game. It's very basic stuff compared to modern street fighter. If you're going, just pick ryu, ken or guile and stick to the basics. B&B combos, flowchart jab DP spam or sonic boom/flashkick/normals zoning all day long for the win. Damage output is high and there isn't a huge amount going on, but the speed is a little higher than you may be used to.

Shotos own in hyper fighting, and guile can attack well or zone all day long. Ryu plays similarly to his basic style in SF4, minus all the new shenanigans, so use footsies, cancel crouching forward pokes, fireball lots, and try to bait a jump in. Also HF was the first game where ken started to turn into a rushdown monster, and have his own distinctive moves. His fierce DP is weaker than Ryu's but covers an insane horizontal distance, so it's a great zoning tool and anti-air, and his jab DP is mad fast (slight advantage on block i think, and very small punish window on whiff). Also, HF was the first official capcom game to have air tatsus, bird kicks, etc in it, and Ryu and ken benefited heavily from that.
    I have no idea as to tiers, but I know Bison got pretty much the biggest nerf in the history of fighting games in it.

Yep, he got shafted, but he was stupid overpowered in the previous version. He could fierce crusher all day and just kill you with chip, and he had some wicked throw mixups off headstomps. He's low tier in HF but a lot of fun to use. Ryu, Guile, Sagat, Ken, and Gief are all top or upper tier, and they play best when they focus on good zoning, and simple 3 or 4 hit, high damage punishes (except for gief, he just wants to get in and SPD you as usual). Damage is high and stunning opponents is easy. Cancel standing fierce into your favourite special move all day long, and if you land a St.FPxxFierceDP with Ryu or especially with Ken, you're in with a good chance of a dizzy, then just jump in and repeat for the win.

As the Rage is a retro shop, they're probably right in doing a hyper fighting tournament anyways as opposed to ST, it's what most people remember from their childhood.

It's certainly the game I sank hundreds of hours into in both the arcades and at home (well, special champ edition, team mode FTW)

I am. Flowchart Ken FTW :D
    Turbo is drastically different from super turbo. Just normals and specials, no EX, no supers, no focus, no meters, no ultra, no alt versions of characters..... Throws are single button + forward/back, and the only command throw in the game is Gief's SPD.

Haha, I know the over-arcing differences between say, the Street Fighter 2, 3 and 4 series; it's just that when you get down to different iterations of one "game", it gets confusing. Especially 2, as well as being the most revised, it has more version names even than actual versions.

"Back in the day" I only played World Warrior Arcade, Pirate Rainbow Edition Arcade and the Megadrive Championship Edition.

I didn't even have a 6-button Megadrive controller. I had to use the start button to toggle between punches and kicks, and could never ever pause, even when called for dinner!

That's a deprived childhood right there :pac:

"Back in the day" I only played World Warrior Arcade, Pirate Rainbow Edition Arcade and the Megadrive Championship Edition.

I remember all those. I lived on World warrior for about a year in my local arcade before champion edition arrived. I still remember how to do guile's walk forward "instant" flashkick that only worked on certain WW machines. It was cool knowing how to do stuff like that back then when people couldn't just jump on the net and figure it out.
    I didn't even have a 6-button Megadrive controller. I had to use the start button to toggle between punches and kicks, and could never ever pause, even when called for dinner!

That was the point for me when the sega versus nintendo war went from silly ("blast processing", WTF?) to plain ridiculous. Sega absolutely *had* to have Street fighter on their console to rival nintendo, because they were getting killed on sales figures for lack of a SF title, so they threw buckets of money at capcom who brought out this godawful port with inferior sound, graphics, and pretty much everything, and then tried to explain away the whole 3-button controller thing like it was nothing.

"For optimum street fighting performance Sega recommends a six button controller"

Funny!
    Haha, I know the over-arcing differences between say, the Street Fighter 2, 3 and 4 series; it's just that when you get down to different iterations of one "game", it gets confusing. Especially 2.....

I'd be interested to hear people's ideas on what the best versions are overall. Chronologically, my faves are Turbo Hyper fighting, Super Turbo, Alpha 2 & 3, Third Strike (even though I'm no good) HD Remix, Then SSIV AE 2012.

Worst ever has to be street fighter the movie, or maybe alpha 1 or some of the EX ones. They sucked big time.

That was the point for me when the sega versus nintendo war went from silly ("blast processing", WTF?) to plain ridiculous. Sega absolutely *had* to have Street fighter on their console to rival nintendo, because they were getting killed on sales figures for lack of a SF title, so they threw buckets of money at capcom who brought out this godawful port with inferior sound, graphics, and pretty much everything, and then tried to explain away the whole 3-button controller thing like it was nothing.

"For optimum street fighting performance sega reccomends a six button controller"

Funny!

Whoa whoa whoa!

It had the proper title screen, came out before turbo did on the SNES so was the earliest console access to boss characters, had multi speed champ mode, champ mode and 10 speed was immediately selectible, played pretty close to the arcade (although obviously was hugely inferior sonically/ graphically) and also had a hugely superior multi player modes (including a team mode I wish SF4 had- 6 chars vs 6, lets go) and also bizarrely an option to turn special moves off.

So while yes it's an inferior game, it's a bit harsh to say it was inferior in every way.

<MK>It also retained the blood and vomit, so obviously it was a superior port. </MK>

I'd be interested to hear people's ideas on what the best versions are overall. Chronologically, my faves are Turbo Hyper fighting, Super Turbo, Alpha 2 & 3, Third Strike (even though I'm no good) HD Remix, Then SSIV AE 2012.

Worst ever has to be street fighter the movie, or maybe alpha 1 or some of the EX ones. They sucked big time.

I'd probably go hyper, ST (although ST was pretty responsible for the death of SF in the arcades I was playing in), Alpha 2, I don't really like any of the 3 games tbh, and SSf4 (I like my zoning, 2012 is still awesome).

SF1 is clearly the worst :D

Whoa whoa whoa....

Lol. This takes me back to arguing with my little bro (who owned a MD) about which version was better nearly 20 years ago :D

You're not wrong, there was a lot to like about the MD version, but i just couldn't get over the buttons thing (we never had 6 button pads either, so the switching between kicks & punches thing killed it for me). Also, I was playing the arcade versions a lot at the time, i could see the difference in the look and feel of even the snes port, and in comparison the MD port just looked & sounded laughable. I guess i just never took it seriously.

Also, as a side point, the snes version of hyper fighting had a feature where you could turn certain special moves on and off too. It was a cheat code on the versus options menu, just before the match starts. Pointless, but fun if you wanted to show off how good you were and give someone a kicking with normals only.

Also SNES SF2:T came out before Megadrive Special Champion Edition.

Wrong again Brian, wrong again.

Anyway, Hyper Fighting is the best version of SF2.

• Advertisement

Also SNES SF2:T came out before Megadrive Special Champion Edition.

Wrong again Brian, wrong again.

Anyway, Hyper Fighting is the best version of SF2.

Oh you're correct, by a month. My apologies.

*bans chopper*

Advertisement