Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fernando Torres gets Euro 2012 Golden Boot

• 02-07-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭

Source
    Fernando Torres has collected the Euro 2012 Golden Boot, scoring three goals during Spain`s title-winning campaign.
    In a dramatic turn of events the 28-year-old ensured it would be who won the accolade with a superb 15-minute cameo in the 4-0 final win over Italy to put another torrid season behind him. Despite being level with Mario Gomez on three goals and one assist, he takes home the prize having played fewer minutes than his German counterpart.
    Torres scored Spain`s third in the final with a calm finish before assisting his Chelsea team-mate Juan Mata for their fourth moments later, which together with his brace against Republic of Ireland in the second group game saw him top the scorer`s charts. The Spaniard also became the first ever player to score in two separate European Championship finals.
    Second-placed Gomez scored the only goal as Germany defeated Portugal in their Group B opener before netting a classy brace against Netherlands in the next game. He then supplied an assist with a skewed shot in the 2-1 win over Denmark that fell to Lukas Podolski who then slotted home.
    Alan Dzagoev came in third position having played the least amount of minutes of all other players who were level on three strikes but his goals were not enough to stop Russia from being eliminated at the group stage.
    Mario Mandzukic suffered a similar fate to Dzagoev as his trio of goals ensured that Croatia put up a staunch fight for progression from Group C. There was a silver lining for the striker however as his impressive displays against Republic of Ireland and Italy earned him a permanent move to Bayern Munich.
    Mario Balotelli and Cristiano Ronaldo complete the table despite both coming in for criticism early in the competition for their slow starts. Balotelli`s double against Italy booked his nation a spot in the final but they were powerless to resist Spain who won their third consecutive major international trophy.
    After ensuring Portugal advanced to the semi-final with a double against Netherlands and the winner in the quarter-final versus Greece, Ronaldo failed to put in a decisive display against Iberian rivals Spain in the semi-final.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Jammy git :D

I hope he sends Shay Given (and the rest of the Ireland defenders for that matter) a thank you note.

(also interesting that no player managed to score in more than two separate games in the tournament and that three of the 6 top scorers just happened to have had a game vs Ireland (where they all scored)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

another victory for liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Leftist wrote: »

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

em, wha???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Fair play to the lad, Champions League winner, FA Cup and now Euro 2012 medal and golden boot after getting a lot of stick from the fans and press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Not a bad season.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQewICOuGNFaIZHxz3Z2G3QkD6ql_l6bI5T1XFN-xk2E5TQn-tT

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8vFm3rSXTGOO65GpPwMlzH_VoUMupk3w7ONCGLP1f4URo2JPNIQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxr3OiV9UQyqCqwZLBfLo_pEl52NnAfCEdMxoN6Uc_2iHteC_oBg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Delighted they awarded him the golden boot, if nothing else than for his selfless decision to provide the goal for Mata, instead of shooting himself, when a goal would have put him on top of the goals scored table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Aquila wrote: »
    :confused:

It's like 7 degrees of separation, in the end every thread is linked to liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Fair play to the lad, Champions League winner, FA Cup and now Euro 2012 medal and golden boot after getting a lot of stick from the fans and press.

And rightly so. Barely kicked a ball for all of those. Whatever about 3rd choice keeper not getting much gametime for their medals, a 50m striker should be starting every game.

And rightly so. Barely kicked a ball for all of those. Whatever about 3rd choice keeper not getting much gametime for their medals, a 50m striker should be starting every game.

So by your basis only the starting 11 should get a medal instead of every member of the squad?

For what its worth had Villa been fit Torres would have been 2nd choice also.

gavredking wrote: »
    So by your basis only the starting 11 should get a medal instead of every member of the squad?

For what its worth had Villa been fit Torres would have been 2nd choice also.

Winners get medals, onlookers and journeymen get nice seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

3rd choice keepers rarely get the goals which help get their team to those finals. Torres did that this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

alproctor wrote: »
    em, wha???

used to play for liverpool. not as glorious as winning the world cup in 2010 because of reina but still up there.

No you see thats were your wrong.

UEFA hand out 23 medals to the 23 memebers of the squad. Its fairly easy to understand really.

Torres played and scored and helped his country win the tournament, hardly an onlooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Delighted they awarded him the golden boot, if nothing else than for his selfless decision to provide the goal for Mata, instead of shooting himself, when a goal would have put him on top of the goals scored table.

by making that pass for mata's goal he actually won the trophy.

they didn't award it to him, they gave it to him because he won it because of the rules, decided by;
    1. most goals
    2. most assists
    3. least minutes played

He technically won it on least minutes played as him & gomez both had 3 goals & 1 assist but if he didn't make the pass gomez woulda won it

batistuta9 wrote: »
    by making that pass for mata's goal he actually won the trophy.

they didn't award it to him, they gave it to him because he won it because of the rules;
    1. most goals
    2. most assists
    3. least minutes played

He technically won it on least minutes played as him & gomez both had 3 goals & 1 assist but if he didn't make the pass gomez woulda won it

I had a buddy who had €20 on him at 9/1 to be out right top scorer he was freaking when he passed it to Mata. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I had a buddy who had €20 on him at 9/1 to be out right top scorer he was freaking when he passed it to Mata. :pac:

I had €10 on him at 16/1, still got money off him being joint top scorer but the fecker should have scored himself

I had €10 on him at 16/1, still got money off him being joint top scorer but the fecker should have scored himself

I would have thrown my bottle at the tele if I had money on him at that stage.

Think he got back 1/6 of the odds, needless to say he isnt happy about it.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I would have thrown my bottle at the tele if I had money on him at that stage.

Think he got back 1/6 of the odds, needless to say he isnt happy about it.

:o

It was a tad annoying alright :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

used to play for liverpool. not as glorious as winning the world cup in 2010 because of reina but still up there.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Too right. I am a currently former Liverpool fan (it will take some turn around of attitude to make me care again), mainly because the way the man was treated by the club and the fans is beyond contempt and I refuse to be involved in such United like carry on. Absolutely delighted for the lad to see him returning to some form, only hope it is the start of a full return, as he has been out of sorts for over 2 years now. Wish him all the best at Chelsea, they will hopefully treat him better than the gobsh1tes at Liverpool did.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

How can you say that when he's literally just yesterday won a Euro medal and the Golden boot despite being on the bench for most of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Can I ask why the Least Minutes Played is an important part of the criteria when it comes to winning the Golden Boot in the European Championships? That's almost punishing lads for playing well/being fit and not being hauled off is it not?

Now I understand that it could be applied in the event there is a 3rd place play off as there is in the World Cup, giving a player an extra unmerited game (IMO) to score an extra goal and claiming the accolade e.g. Davor Suker 1998.

Can a anyone elaborate or give their thoughts on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Omackeral wrote: »
    Can I ask why the Least Minutes Played is an important part of the criteria when it comes to winning the Golden Boot in the European Championships? That's almost punishing lads for playing well/being fit and not being hauled off is it not?

Can a anyone elaborate or give their thoughts on this?

Less time on pitch + more goals = more clinical?

I don't know. They have to decided it somehow and to be fair it is the 3rd criteria. I don't see what else they could do.

How can you say that when he's literally just yesterday won a Euro medal and the Golden boot despite being on the bench for most of it?

As a failed hurler, quite easily. Sitting on the sidelines watching my teammates pick up a junior b title and feeling awkward when I got my medal. Sure, I got a run around when the games were won, I even scored once against some 17 year old on his first night in goal but I never deserved a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

It seems to me that it would be fairly impossible to come up with a fair way to decide the golden boat in the result of a tie that would satisfy everyone.

One on hand you got people saying it's unfair that certain players get more games than others by virtue of playing for a top team. On the other hand you have people saying the guy with the least minutes has put in a lesser performance than someone who has played every minute for their team and therefore his shortcoming should not aid his winning of the trophy.

You could add on top of this that a free scoring team like Spain (12 goals) is more than likely gonna contain the top scorer than say a team like Croatia (4 goals). But both offered up a top scorer this time. If anything Mandžukić's strike rate was the most impressive of all (75% of all his teams goals and a goal ratio of 1.00).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

kitakyushu wrote: »
    It seems to me that it would be fairly impossible to come up with a fair way to decide the golden boat in the result of a tie that would satisfy everyone.

Sudden death penalty shoot-out between the tied players. I'd watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Mario Gomez had the ball for less than 30 seconds in the entire tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Yeah, he barely kicked a ball, alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5OaZxIO8LI&feature=player_detailpage#t=632s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Too right. I am a currently former Liverpool fan (it will take some turn around of attitude to make me care again), mainly because the way the man was treated by the club and the fans is beyond contempt and I refuse to be involved in such United like carry on. Absolutely delighted for the lad to see him returning to some form, only hope it is the start of a full return, as he has been out of sorts for over 2 years now. Wish him all the best at Chelsea, they will hopefully treat him better than the gobsh1tes at Liverpool did.
    Can I get a rrrrrrolleyes??smiley-rolleyes010.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Let me guess, you're now a Man City fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'd hazard a guess and say you don't follow Liverpool anymore bacause we're not as good as we were a few years back. If Liverpool's fortunes change over the next few years do us all a favour and stick with supporting Chelsea.

As a failed hurler, quite easily. Sitting on the sidelines watching my teammates pick up a junior b title and feeling awkward when I got my medal. Sure, I got a run around when the games were won, I even scored once against some 17 year old on his first night in goal but I never deserved a medal.

I forgot the sitting on the becnh for a Junior B medal was the same as playing over 90 games for you country scoring over 30 goals including the golden boot and becoming the 1st player to score in consecutive Euro Finals was the same thing. When i look at it that way i can now see how he doesnt deserve a medal.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I forgot the sitting on the becnh for a Junior B medal was the same as playing over 90 games for you country scoring over 30 goals including the golden boot and becoming the 1st player to score in consecutive Euro Finals was the same thing. When i look at it that way i can now see how he doesnt deserve a medal.
    :rolleyes:

He deserves a medal but i wonder what it means to him, would he be fulfilled? I'm not so sure. Better than a kick up the arse in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He deserves a medal but i wonder what it means to him, would he be fulfilled? I'm not so sure. Better than a kick up the arse in fairness.

This really. He deserves it, but he wasn't involved for the majority of the tournament. He deserved to play more, but can't say dropping him wasn't justified in the end.

Corholio wrote: »
    This really. He deserves it, but he wasn't involved for the majority of the tournament. He deserved to play more, but can't say dropping him wasn't justified in the end.

They would have won either way in fairness, playing your man Negredo over him in the QF was baffling. Maybe Del Bosque just isn't into him or is secretely a Liverpool fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'd love it love it love it if he won WPOTY this year.

No reason why he shouldn't either when you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I hear he sent a special thank you text to the Irish squad thanking them for their part in his achievement

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »

No reasons other then the obvious ones I guess.

They would have won either way in fairness, playing your man Negredo over him in the QF was baffling. Maybe Del Bosque just isn't into him or is secretely a Liverpool fan.

The story going around with a few of the journalists is that they were told privately by Del Bosque that the 460 was out of necessity rather then choice because of the injury to Villa and lack of form of Torres. That he didn't fancy Negrado, that Llorente had an injured knee and that he couldn't rely on Torres so that was the reason for the formations etc

More on that may or may not come out now the tournament is over, was never going to come out during it for obvious reasons, but since Spain won there is also no reason for that to become a big talking point either.

Cop on would ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Not a bad trophy haul for a guy that barely featured this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

He was the top scorer for Spain. I'm guessing you weren't the top scorer for your hurling team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Messi; 80 goals, club and country is a fairly big reason tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Messi; 80 goals, club and country is a fairly big reason tbh.

I reckon it's Ronaldo's year. Similar scoring record, but also was in a league winning team and made it to the semi's of the EC, while Messi didn't score in the copa america and went out in the first knock out phase after finishing second in their group. The success of the team is always taken into account. And also Messi has won the last 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Too right. I am a currently former Liverpool fan (it will take some turn around of attitude to make me care again), mainly because the way the man was treated by the club and the fans is beyond contempt and I refuse to be involved in such United like carry on.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.

Advertisement