Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online resources that teach irish from scratch?

• 02-07-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

So my ability to speak Irish has declined over the years partly due to lack of interest(yes I know fault on my part). Heading into 6th year this year and to be honest the Irish book we have is pretty useless and there are many parts of basic irish which I have either never understood properly or just forgotten over time. Are there any free online resources I can use to help me as google isn't really helping. I'm considering investing in software such as Rosetta Stone which has an Irish module but I've heard mixed opinions about them.

I appreciate your suggestions all and thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 noname123

http://irishstudysite.com/
    This site is excellent and has some excellent notes for the oral.

You could watch TG4 especially shows like Nuacht ag a seacht

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

noname123 wrote: »
    http://irishstudysite.com/
    This site is excellent and has some excellent notes for the oral.

You could watch TG4 especially shows like Nuacht ag a seacht

That site looks good but not exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe something more structured that I can follow through right from basics upwards. I wouldn't be asking for so much if I didn't think I needed that much help XD (Only got 12% O level in 5th year summer exam)

At this stage I'm just taking it as if I've never seen the language before because that's what it's come to :l

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dublinboi

You might be interested in something like Rosetta Stone, which would bring you up from nothing. I used it for all five levels in German, and thought it was pretty good, I got up to B1 on the European Framework.

For the Irish it only has three levels, but I found that my German was very natural, that I wasn't thinking so much about what I wanted to say or write it was just natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

dublinboi wrote: »
    You might be interested in something like Rosetta Stone, which would bring you up from nothing. I used it for all five levels in German, and thought it was pretty good, I got up to B1 on the European Framework.

For the Irish it only has three levels, but I found that my German was very natural, that I wasn't thinking so much about what I wanted to say or write it was just natural.

That's what I was thinking initially only problem is the cost, if there's a trial version I'll give it a go see does it work for me. I think probably the best thing I can do is gather resources together and use a lot of dictionary work xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Eircom has good grinds online and you can book the teachers one on one. Send them a message and they might help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement