Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer lingus business class

• 02-07-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has flown Dub-Orlando business class with aer lingus recently.
    Is the service on this route the same as all transatlantic routes.
    What is the service like?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, same business class service as their other routes. Nice seats, good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Rocket Man

Cheers for the reply, was hoping it would be the same, read somewhere that it was economy service with bigger seat at an inflated price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They used to do sell it as a "premium economy" style offering on the Orlando route - especially before they kitted out their whole fleet with new business class seats..then it was just a bigger seat with the same food etc. Now it's sold as business class "proper" with full business class service.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bridestream

I've tried to upgrade my Dublin to Orlando flight to Business Class on line and it cannot be done!!!!!
    Note - my original booking was on line.

I phoned the 0818 number and I was told I should be able to do it on line.
    I insisted it was not possible and she checked with Supervisor to be told I could only upgrade by phone!

The price I was given for upgrade was an EXTRA 2013 Euro one way.
    I told her if I made a new booking on line for Business Class the cost is 1187 Euro.
    I asked her to try it on her system and she confirmed I was right but to upgrade my original economy booking would still cost an EXTRA 2013 Euro!
    Crazy isn't it?

Meanwhile she told me to send a fax to 01 886 8689 and explain the situation to their Ticketing Admin people.
    I sent in the fax on 7th, 17th and 28th August and there has been no response!!!

Has anyone out there any ideas?
    I think my only option now is to write a letter to HQ as they do not publish an email address for their Irish customers.
    (they do publish email addresses for their customers n other countries).

Has anyone got any constructive suggestions - please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Oh dear, that is crazy. We booked for June 2013 over 4 weeks ago, we are flying out economy but decided to book Business for the return journey, I was just checking my notes and flying economy back was 384.77 and business class was 775.41 so only a difference of 390.64 to upgrade so we thought that was fair enough.

Sadly, I dont really have any advice as such, I suppose you dont live near/in Dublin and could take a trip to the ticketing office in the airport ? I'm just wondering would a face to face chat make any difference ?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your constructive reply 'spook'.
    I live only 40 minutes from Dublin Airport and I may well take up your suggestion.
    However as I will have to go to the customer service desk I am not too hopeful.
    I will let you know how it goes - i.e. if I do make the trip!

Hi 'Spook'.

I did make the trip to DUB airport and met with a very helpful customer services person in T2 - <mod snip>

She had no idea why I was being quoted an extra 2013 Euro per PAX on the phone.
    Also, she could not understand why I could not upgrade on line!

After a lot of finger bashing on keypad she got me an upgrade for 764 Euro per PAX. Mrs B is also with me.

Thank you.

Meanwhile Lingus should look into why it is not possible to upgrade to Business Class on line - it is contrary to what is on their web site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'm thrilled for you and Mrs B ! hope you have a wonderful trip....only 9 months and 2 weeks for us !

Like you 'Spook' we booked outbound and Business home.
    However from previous experience I think Business to MCO is better if one is to choose Business on only one leg because -

(a) one is awake all the time outbound and one can use the 'value' of Business class for the full trip!!!!
    (b) it takes 60/90 minutes longer westbound and more value to be had in Business class!!!!
    (c) one tries to get a nap on the way home but by the time you have the meal and maybe look at a movie there isn't much time left for the nap i.e.

The above comments are based on my experience.

Anyway enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

However from previous experience I think Business to MCO is better if one is to choose Business on only one leg because -

(a) one is awake all the time outbound and one can use the 'value' of Business class for the full trip!!!!
    (b) it takes 60/90 minutes longer westbound and more value to be had in Business class!!!!
    (c) one tries to get a nap on the way home but by the time you have the meal and maybe look at a movie there isn't much time left for the nap i.e.

As someone who has never flown business class on a longhaul flight can I ask what exactly do you mean by this? I mean, if you're going to be awake for the whole trip, why does it make a difference which section of the plane you're in?

And if you're going to arrive in the early afternoon and probably get straight into a hire car so you need to be alert and sober, doesn't that mean you can't avail of the endless supply of free booze on the outbound leg?

Sounds like a lot of money to pay for a different meal and a bigger seat. I can see the benefit of going business class coming home ok but TBH I'd consider the money better spent on upgrading the hotel I'm staying in rather than burn that kind of money on a 6-8 hour flight.

• Advertisement

Hi 'Coylemj'
    DUB to MCO is a 9hr30min flight apx. One will be in the a/c up to 10hr30min.
    A lot of children travel to Orlando.
    Business Class rarely has children - so less noise and hassle.
    The extra room and much better food for me is another plus.
    If you want to spend the money 'saved' travelling economy for superior hotel accommodation, you are probably correct; however this is not an issue for me.
    2 to 3 glasses of Vino over 11 hours is well within limits.
    One will get the hire car at MCO around 6pm local time.
    Also, I like to catch up on the movies and Lingus do have the latest on offer & I can watch them in Business Class 'comfort'.
    On short haul flights I would never travel Bus Class - certainly not worth it. I never did use Bus Class in the days Lingus/BA offered it to LHR.
    But if I am going to be in an aircraft for 10 to 11 hours then it's Bus Class for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

If I could afford it I'd use it, deffo on the overnight return leg at least, but I can't :(

But I don't think it offers good value for the money they charge for it, crazy money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

***** Moving from now defunct US/ Canada Travel forum to USA forum, which now is for both travel/ holiday and immigration/ visa/ living questions *****

Advertisement