Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean install Win. 95 & 98 on Dell optiplex with XP

Options
  • 02-07-2012 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm new to computer upgrading so bear with me. Basically, I have developed an interest in older, classic shall we say, computers and OSs and I have been offered a PC that is operational and currently running XP.
    Essentially what I want to do is to install multiple OSs on the machine. Ideally I would like to have 95,98 & XP but alternatively I'd go for 95 & 98 and if a multiple install was not possible i'd go for 95.

I have CD-ROMs for 98 and XP and I have a copied version of 95 on a CDR.
    From some basic research on the web I've established that I would need a floppy boot disk and need to partition the disk or else install them on separate hard disks.
    I read somewhere that i also need to have a driver for the CD drive that I have to install to allow the drive to work after the HDD has been wiped.

I was hoping that maybe some of you here would be kind enough to advise me through this process.

Thank you folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If it's an SATA hard drive in there, you'll need drivers for XP. You would need to track down what motherboard you have and either put the drivers onto a floppy disk or slipstream them in with nlite.
    http://www.nliteos.com/

As for 98 and 95, I'm not sure where you'd even go with that. The recommendation when you're doing a multiboot is to start with the older OSs first so that the newer OS can see it when it's installing.

You might have an easier time running the systems on virtual machines. Bear in mind that these OSs pre-date a lot of technologies that we take for granted today.

Advertisement