Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Slings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

dublinlady wrote: »
    Argue away so - I disagree and have given my opinion, I'm not here to debate yours.
    You're a peculiar person... I'm not arguing. Someone is asking about slings, I happen to have read a few articles (therefore not MY opinion, i've never owned one of them and cannot judge) about this specific sling type so I feel compelled to share this information. You can disagree with the articles and the people who blame the deaths of their babies on the slings, it won't change the fact that a lot of people think it's dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

January wrote: »
    I've used the Mei Tai from when Ellen was two weeks old and she loved it and so did I! So easy to use (no buckles or clips) and you can get loads of different designs on ebay!

+1 on the Mei tai. I got one on Januarys recommendation from Ebay.
    It wasn't much more than €30 new & was a God send for the first several weeks.

I don't use it as much now (he's 10 weeks) but that's just because he's such a heavy little pudding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

lounakin wrote: »
    I've heard these ones are actually quite dangerous (when baby is inside fully)... there are even people saying they should be taken off the market!

Anything can be dangerous if it is misused. A car seat that is incorrectly fitted or the wrong size can result in the death of a baby. Babies have died in buggies and prams from overheating (or suffocation because of rain covers).

You're right though, parents should do their research and make the decision they think will be best for them and their baby. And then they should take responsibility for that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I've heard these ones are actually quite dangerous (when baby is inside fully)... there are even people saying they should be taken off the market!

I think it is the "bag" style slings that were an issue, the peanut shell ones are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi all, question for Mei tai wearers. When baby is on your front is it easy enough to put on the sling and secure baby in/out by yourself? Also how long did most of you use it for?

Thanks for any replies ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi all, question for Mei tai wearers. When baby is on your front is it easy enough to put on the sling and secure baby in/out by yourself? Also how long did most of you use it for?

Thanks for any replies ;)

Yes, very easy. Tie the sling around your waist and let it hang down like an apron. Take baby up and position him/her on your front holding him, take your free hand and pull the sling up and over babies back and then hold him in with the material. Bring straps over shoulders and then with the right arm grab the left strap and bring it to the right, bringing it around the front and holding it with the rest of material. Do the same with the other strap (right strap to left side) and pull tight. Make sure baby is secure and tie around the bottom of babies back.

My daughter is 10 months and I'm still using the sling. I don't feel any strain from carrying her.

Mei tai is really easy to use on your own, but the straps do lay on the ground so be careful where you lay them! My issue is that my daughter stands up while I try to put her in a froggy position so I have to readjust the mei tai time and time again

Thanks for the replies :D

Anyone know if Mothercare or anywhere else stocks them? I know they're on eBay but wouldn't mind seeing/feeling one before buying?

I don't think mothercare has them but i know there's a thing called a sling library where you can try different ones and rent them for a couple of weeks: http://babywearingireland.com/index.php/Sling-Library-Babywearing-Ireland

If you're anywhere near Dublin 15 you can come and see mine no problem and try it out. There is also, as lounakin said, the sling library where you can take out two slings at a time and try them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

ariana` wrote: »

My little girl is 2 and half and I'm still using my mei tai sling. It's on my back though, I switched her from my front to my back when she was about 7 or 8 months old because it was giving me back pain but she's perfect on my back. I find it invaluable.

I also think it's pretty common for people to have more than one! I have two (for now): a Mei Tai and a wrap, a big long piece of material. My baby much prefers the wrap, but it's awkward to take on a place for instance, because it takes longer to set it up. She settles and sleeps in it really well. I bought the Mei Tai specifically for a plane journey I'm taking in 10 days. She doesn't like to be in it as much but it feels more secure, better on my back and easier to handle on my own. I'm thinking in the future I'll buy one of those carriers to put her on my back for very long walks and things like that.
    One drawback of the two I have and I didn't think of: it makes me and the baby sweat a lot. I'm going to a very hot place for a few months and I won't be able to keep her in the sling too long as she will surely overheat...

One drawback of the two I have and I didn't think of: it makes me and the baby sweat a lot. I'm going to a very hot place for a few months and I won't be able to keep her in the sling too long as she will surely overheat...

I made my sling and one of the websites I got a pattern from was saying if you're from a hot climate you can make a mei tai without the fleece lining so that it's really cool for the baby, I know they'll still be getting your heat but at least some of the insulation is gone. So if you're handy with a sewing machine that might be an option

I made my sling and one of the websites I got a pattern from was saying if you're from a hot climate you can make a mei tai without the fleece lining so that it's really cool for the baby, I know they'll still be getting your heat but at least some of the insulation is gone. So if you're handy with a sewing machine that might be an option
    I don't have a lining on me already! She still get a heat rash every time with only a vest on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I don't know what material the mai tais are made of, but different material can breathe differently, making it more (or less) suitable for hot climates. Cottons = good; poly/wool/fleece = bad.

Keep in mind, different sling/wraps have been used (and are still used) in just about every climate, so the chance of overheating is slim if the right material & position is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Ariana, babywearing Ireland do sling demos too where they demonstrate different types of slings. There is one on this Thursday in Lucan. PM me if you want more details.

They will lend you 2 slings for 2 weeks for €15. The details are on the page linked in a previous post

I don't have a lining on me already! She still get a heat rash every time with only a vest on!

Mine is 100% cotton so would nice and cool without the lining. Your poor baba though getting heat rash :(

Mine is 100% cotton so would nice and cool without the lining. Your poor baba though getting heat rash :(
    Mine is 97% cotton... I guess the 3% is the killer! ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

+1 on the Mei tai. I got one on Januarys recommendation from Ebay.
    It wasn't much more than €30 new & was a God send for the first several weeks.

I don't use it as much now (he's 10 weeks) but that's just because he's such a heavy little pudding!

Can you send me on the link for this sling, please and thanks

January wrote: »
    If you're anywhere near Dublin 15 you can come and see mine no problem and try it out. There is also, as lounakin said, the sling library where you can take out two slings at a time and try them out.

I'm not in Dublin but thanks for the offer. I'll check out the sling library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Ariana, babywearing Ireland do sling demos too where they demonstrate different types of slings. There is one on this Thursday in Lucan. PM me if you want more details.

They will lend you 2 slings for 2 weeks for €15. The details are on the page linked in a previous post

This sounds good, PM'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

fitzcoff wrote: »

No probs, here's the one I got..
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MEI-TAI-BABY-CARRIER-SLING-POLKA-DOTS-WHITE-BLACK-/280779054712?pt=UK_Baby_Carriers&hash=item415fbc5e78

fitzcoff wrote: »

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=mei+tai

Thanks for the links girls,

This is my third baby (only 3 weeks old) and thinking that one of these might be a lot easier than a buggy for the next few weeks, what with summer holidays.

I had a look at some of the other links on previous pages about the different types of slings and the pros/cons, I'm a bit concerned as she has a clicky hip and waiting to see consultant about that so not sure if I should wait or not to purchase.

The mei tai seems to be one of the better designs in my opinion and looks like it will give her good support.

Just one question are the hard to get used to wearing and putting on?

The Mei tai are really easy to use on your own!
    As far as I know the treatment for clicky hip is to keep the legs apart so if the consultant says ok it might actually be a good idea to get one of those carriers and keep her legs out in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I really like the idea of the Mei Tai! Especially the price :D

Thanks for all the info girls!

notsobusy wrote: »
    I really like the idea of the Mei Tai! Especially the price :D

Thanks for all the info girls!
    Make sure you show a pic of it to the doctor to see if it's suitable for your daughter. I like the Mei Tai but I do find it slightly 'iffy'...

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Fitzcoff, when I brought my daughter for an ultrasound because of suspected clicky hips, the guy doing it was delighted that she was in a stretchy sling. They keep baba's hips in the same position as the hip braces, what's called the frog position. He's a radiographer in Temple St and reckons all babies should be carried in them.

• Advertisement

Fitzcoff, when I brought my daughter for an ultrasound because of suspected clicky hips, the guy doing it was delighted that she was in a stretchy sling. They keep baba's hips in the same position as the hip braces, what's called the frog position. He's a radiographer in Temple St and reckons all babies should be carried in them.

What sort of sling did you have?

Advertisement