Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Slings

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

lounakin wrote: »
    Make sure you show a pic of it to the doctor to see if it's suitable for your daughter. I like the Mei Tai but I do find it slightly 'iffy'...

I have a boy! and he doesn't seem to have a problem with his hips so far. But will ask the Dr anyway this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

notsobusy wrote: »
    I have a boy! and he doesn't seem to have a problem with his hips so far. But will ask the Dr anyway this week.
    Sorry for the confusion, I was talking to Fitzcoff who has a girl with clicky hip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You know the instance of Hip Dysplasia (clicky hip) is virtually non existent in Africa and African babies, because they're all carried in slings and wraps from the day they were born.

January wrote: »
    You know the instance of Hip Dysplasia (clicky hip) is virtually non existent in Africa and African babies, because they're all carried in slings and wraps from the day they were born.
    Clicky hip is just much more common here in Ireland, it's a question of genetics. It used to be linked to alcoholism actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

January wrote: »

I thought that was genetic. Like how we also have high levels of CF in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

For me there is no history of clicky hip in either my or my husbands family, so not sure about genetics. Also I wasn't drinking throughout the pregnancy, the smell of wine gave me heart burn ;)

Back on topic, is there a size on the slings, as in I am roughly a size 18 so do the slings come in clothing sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Fitzcoff, I have a stretchy JPMBB. It's only one size but my husband is tall and would be the equivalent of a size 18 and it fits him grand. Woven wraps hold your baby in the same position and come in standard or long.

fitzcoff wrote: »
    For me there is no history of clicky hip in either my or my husbands family, so not sure about genetics. Also I wasn't drinking throughout the pregnancy, the smell of wine gave me heart burn ;)

Back on topic, is there a size on the slings, as in I am roughly a size 18 so do the slings come in clothing sizes
    It can be either congenital or spontaneous, but there are more congenital instances in Ireland than most countries in Europe. Also I really wasn't implying that you were drinking! Sorry if I gave you that impression... it's a problem that's linked to alcoholism but obviously nothing is one way 100% of the time!

Back to topic: JPMBB are supposed to be really good!

I'm a size 18 and my mei tai is one size only and it fits perfect.

I have just bought on of the mei tai on ebay so I'll let ye know how I get on with it.

I tried 3 other slings over the weekend, 2 different ones from mama and papas and one from phil and teds. The phil and teds was just tying around me, so that was no good cause it would be very uncomfortable with a jumper or jacket on.

One of the mama and papas was just horrible, didn't like the look or feel of it at all.

I was considering the cybex from mama and papas, great support in it but very awkward to put on and off.

So after trying them out I decided to try the mei tai and see how that goes.

• Advertisement

fitzcoff wrote: »
    I have just bought on of the mei tai on ebay so I'll let ye know how I get on with it.

I tried 3 other slings over the weekend, 2 different ones from mama and papas and one from phil and teds. The phil and teds was just tying around me, so that was no good cause it would be very uncomfortable with a jumper or jacket on.

One of the mama and papas was just horrible, didn't like the look or feel of it at all.

I was considering the cybex from mama and papas, great support in it but very awkward to put on and off.

So after trying them out I decided to try the mei tai and see how that goes.

If I'm wearing a coat with the Mei Tai I'll put the sling on first and then leave the coat on unbuttoned over it. Once it was really cold out so I borrowed a sheepskin lined zip hoody that my partner had and zipped it up over me and baby (she would have been about 6 weeks at the time) and we were both snug as bugs. You have to be careful not to overheat though because they can get very warm in them.

After using the mei tai for the last while, I must say that I am very happy with it. She seems very content in it and it is very comfortable to wear.

Thanks for the suggestions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I also love my Mei Tai! I wear it and baby everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Reading this thread Makes me want to get rid of my Baby Bjorn and get a Mei Tai :(
    Used BB with my 1st baby til he was 8 months and he was grand.
    2nd one is coming 5 months now and I'm just wondering should I swap for a Mei Tai?
    But to be honest I don't carry her around in sling that much though, just once a week.

Advertisement